2014 Combine measurements: RB | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 Combine measurements: RB

Don't like Wilder...runs too upright.

I think Carey's slow 40 time only helps us. He's the right fit for the ZBS. Also like Terrance West and Charles Sims. Sims has over 200 career receptions and we could really use a receiver out of the backfield.

I know the NFL is a totally different beast, but I have always been impressed with how Wilder still runs over people and doesn't go down easy, even though he runs more upright, unlike Daniel Thomas. And if he did fall into the 6th or 7th, I'd draft him in a heart beat.

That said, next year is shaping up to be a really good RB class and I would be okay with holding off on a RB unless there's value.

Some of you will remember named Rod Bernstein. He was a 6'3", 240 lb rb for the Chargers who clobbered people. The problem was he ran upright and took a beating. That's who Wilder reminds me of.

I like the numbers posted by Jerick McKinnon, Georgia Southern......Benched it 32 times and has a 40 1/2 vert??? Wow. I will see if I can find film on him. Might be worth a look.

Jerick McKinnon Georgia Southern 5-9 209 4.41 4.35 1.46 32 40.5 11-0 8 5/8

[video=youtube;mRXzGnckgWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRXzGnckgWE[/video]

Carey is a lightweight back, similar in size to Miller. I don't see it working with 2 small backs. We need a bruiser.

Carey is a lightweight back, similar in size to Miller. I don't see it working with 2 small backs. We need a bruiser.

I'd also prefer a bigger back, but Carey runs with much greater physicality and instincts than Miller. Carey had me when I began to realize that he was wearing down D's in the 2nd half - much like your classic 215+ bell-cow back. No one expected Carey to be fast, but that 40 time will probably cause his stock to fall. I think the good teams will take advantage of guys like Hill and Carey falling down draft boards.

I"ll take Freeman on Day three and laugh all the way to the bank.

Can Carey bust through D-line walls is what i'm wondering. Miller and Thomas couldn't. With a whole new offensive line we'd have to think there will be growing pains no matter who we sign or draft. Maybe Carey could wear the D down, but just maybe they'll wear him down and make him a non factor..

I'd just feel a whole hell of a lot better going with a heavy bruiser type that is known to run through contact and that can hold up blocks. Idc about speed, we have Miller for that. I'm really looking for a 1-2 punch type of backfield. A guy that can come in and block for Miller so that he can get more than 1 yard, a guy that can hold up in pass protection, a guy that can get the 3rd/4th and inches and just a guy that will punish a db 1 on 1.

Can Carey bust through D-line walls is what i'm wondering. Miller and Thomas couldn't. With a whole new offensive line we'd have to think there will be growing pains no matter who we sign or draft. Maybe Carey could wear the D down, but just maybe they'll wear him down and make him a non factor..

I'd just feel a whole hell of a lot better going with a heavy bruiser type that is known to run through contact and that can hold up blocks. Idc about speed, we have Miller for that. I'm really looking for a 1-2 punch type of backfield. A guy that can come in and block for Miller so that he can get more than 1 yard, a guy that can hold up in pass protection, a guy that can get the 3rd/4th and inches and just a guy that will punish a db 1 on 1.

Tell me what you think.
[video=youtube;34WTu0WoOqE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34WTu0WoOqE[/video]

Miller is 6', 205 lbs...Carey is 5'9" 207...if Carey were 6' tall he'd weigh 222 (rule of thumb, 5 lbs of muscle per inch of height). Carey is not a light weight, he's actually pretty good size.

LeSean McCoy 5'11" 208 lbs - not a bad running back but I guess since he's not 230 lbs he's a lightweight.
Matt Forte 6'2" 218 lbs - Take away 5" of height and he's 5'9" 193 lbs. He's not a "thick" player.
Jamal Charles 5'11" 199 lbs - now he's a lightweight. He had a decent season I suppose 1287 yards rushing, another 693 receiving...was about 40% of Kansas City's offense.
Alfred Morris - 5'10" 218 lbs - Good size RB.
Adrian Peterson - 6'1" 217 lbs - Take 4" of height away and he's 5'9" 197 lbs. Also not a thick player.

That's not to say that the taller players with more weight doesn't make a difference it's just to point out the size/weight ratio that you're making a big deal out of because you're only looking at the weight and determining that the running back is a lightweight. If you saw a guy walking down the street who was 5'9" and 210 lbs and another guy 6'2" 210 pounds which one would you think look more overweight?

By the way the 5 guys listed were the top 5 rushers in the league last year.

I certainly agree, he can do it all. This is a good year to draft FSU heavily.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I don't know..we still suffer from the ghost of Sammie Smith around here.

He looks good. I have seen him play before and I think he will be a good back in the NFL, but i'm not sold on him being the guy to compliment Miller's speed. Is it his oline that was giving him holes or was it his vision? I doubt it's his vision seeing as he hardly ever danced at the line and just hit holes, which I really like, but we both know that he won't get that kind of blocking in Miami against an NFL talent Dline...

It's all conjecture at this point, but I will say this, Carey has some tools that some of the Denver Broncos system backs had when Lazor was there. I'd still take a bigger guy like Hyde.

He looks good. I have seen him play before and I think he will be a good back in the NFL, but i'm not sold on him being the guy to compliment Miller's speed. Is it his oline that was giving him holes or was it his vision? I doubt it's his vision seeing as he hardly ever danced at the line and just hit holes, which I really like, but we both know that he won't get that kind of blocking in Miami against an NFL talent Dline...

It's all conjecture at this point, but I will say this, Carey has some tools that some of the Denver Broncos system backs had when Lazor was there. I'd still take a bigger guy like Hyde.
Did you notice how many yards he got after contact? Did you see how he cut as soon as the hole opened up? This guy would not be a compliment to Miller, he would be the starter and Miller would be his change of pace guy. Carey runs with a lot of power, good pad level and he's got excellent balance. He runs through contact. You want to see someone running exactly where he's supposed to and it's a gigantic hole go look at Carlos Hyde run. Carey is finding the hole and making the cut to get through it...as soon as he sees it he cuts and accelerates. He's a really good fit for this offense.

Oh, you're looking for a starter.. I'm just looking for a compliment. Like a 1-2 punch, so that we can have 2 backs on the field at once and actually make it work the right way.

As a full time back, yeah I could see your point. He's pretty decent.

I don't know..we still suffer from the ghost of Sammie Smith around here.

Freeman is the polar opposite of Sammy...he is all heart and little hype, the consummate team player.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom