2014 QB Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 QB Draft

It does not hurt to have someone to challenge Tannehill. He should not feel like he has no threat to losing his job imo.

**** I'm back in the draft forum....I guess it's November again. I agree with you, I have no problem in a draft like this looking at a guy 4th round or later. There's gotta be some good value there. I'm a believer you can try to find a gem at QB late in every draft and roll the dice because you never know. But if we hold onto Moore another year, I don't see the point in burning anything higher than a 5th rounder on a guy, but I am a Tannehill believer. Mostly I said that because WV is an extreme Tanny hater (swear he wasn't at this time last season...weird), we should be looking to build up the o-line and change our culture.

There's not 1 QB worth taking in the 1st rd of 2014 IMO. Not even the great Bridgewater, Jameis, or Manziel is worth that much.

There's not 1 QB worth taking in the 1st rd of 2014 IMO. Not even the great Bridgewater, Jameis, or Manziel is worth that much.

If you haven't noticed it is a QB league. You Have to get a franchise qb to be successful..Bridgewater and Manziell both have the IT factor that Hennehill doesnt

An interesting guy for us would be TCU's Casey Pachall.

HIs 2013 season has been a downward spiral - having been caught with a positive drug test and gone into rehab followed by a DUI, he's had a very poor 2013 season, particularly in terms of INTs (very uncharacteristically) and then he broke his non-throwing arm. TCU's offense is struggling, esp the o-line, but Pachall hasn't had an easy ride.

He'll be available for a song and behind all that rubbish above is a very good QB. He'd also be a great understudy to Tannehill as they're physically and style-wise quite similar. Good awareness, very quick release, some scramble ability, leads his receivers well with his throws.

Snap him up late and give him a season for evaluation. Potential diamond in the rough. The word is he's reformed and too good a prospect to pass up, imo.

If anything I'd pick up Blake Bell in the later rounds to mold if he enters the draft. He's got a cannon and can scramble.

No offense, but Bell is terrible. You'd have a better chance reviving Tebow's career.

Yeah he isn't playing well right now, but I see him like Osweiler, someone you take in the later rounds to sit and learn.
Highest id even consider picking up Manziel is in the later part of the 2nd round. I also do like Mariota in that same area as Manziel.

Yeah he isn't playing well right now, but I see him like Osweiler, someone you take in the later rounds to sit and learn.
Highest id even consider picking up Manziel is in the later part of the 2nd round. I also do like Mariota in that same area as Manziel.

Except Oswieler was drafted in the mid second round and is a much better prospect. I'd rather burn a late rounder on Blake Bortles presuming he doesn't rise to high in the draft

Except Oswieler was drafted in the mid second round and is a much better prospect. I'd rather burn a late rounder on Blake Bortles presuming he doesn't rise to high in the draft

I don't think Bortles is a guy whose gonna be available late...like what I've seen.

Chase Rettig should be available in FA. I really like him.

If Tannehill is not the answer and he was drafted by Ireland, then the first course of action is firing Ireland. If he missed once on the most important position you don't give him a second chance. Obviously you then install a coaching system and evaluate the requirement you need at QB.

As for drafting a QB I am all for drafting one each year until they get it right. Curious to see how the 2014 class lines up because as of right now, there doesn't appear to be a can't miss guy. Manziel is a nice idea and I am starting to dismiss the notion that you need great size in todays NFL. I echo the concern with his lack of maturity.
I don't agree. We the dolfans like most sports-fans tend to be bipolar, we can cheer and love a player that has poor talent but a lot of luck and can trash and hate a talented guy that's having a bad time. I suggest you to relax and evaluate the situation with cold mind.

Ryan Tannehill is a young passer, one under development. Before draft day he was seeing as a project QB and Dolphins' FO knew it from first hand, because Sherman was his coach at Texas A&M. The reasons for picking him might be unclear but in few words, Ryan has a lot of talent and potential. He's different because unlike most NFL QB, he was a receiver for a great part of his college days, so he was projected to need a large development including a pathetic rookie year in 2012 and his upgrade should start to be noticed by his third NFL season (2014).

But Tannehill won important games in 2012 and has been better than average in his second season behind the worse O-line of the league. So Tannehill has surpassed expectations from scouts and clearly you are acting wrong by ignoring those facts.

That said, picking Tannehill wasn't a call from Jeff Ireland himself. Philbin, Ireland and Ross were on the same page about him and their expectations on the young passer were lower than what most fans got because of his 1st round caliber.

Also as they added star WR Mike Wallace for an insane sum, we the fans assumed to be enjoying with Dolphins scoring 70 points or more per game, but as that's not the case, there's a lot of frustration because Ryan can't complete several passes of 40 yards or more per game.

Some fans are trashing Wallace other part of the fanbase is asking for a new QB and several others want to get rid of Ireland, Sherman, Philbin or whatever combination of these trio because they're losing patience. It might sound strange but I want to get rid of Ireland not because of his results, but his manners. Jeff is not the kind of manager that this organization deserves.

I don't see things on black and white, I see a great gamma of colors in between. I understand that TODAY Ryan Tannehill isn't as good as Andrew Luck, but Luck is on pace to kill the league in a year or two. It's clear Tannehill will require more time than Luck. But that doesn't mean Tannehill won't be a better QB than Luck. It means he's developing, adjusting and learning.

Think about Mike Wallace chemistry with Tannehill. As ESPN's week 13 power rankings says "The deep threat finally showed up", referring the way Mike Wallace was targeted 4-5 times on 40+ yards throws, leading to a TD and another big plays. Of course we're furious trashing Wallace for dropping a sure TD or Tannehill for overthrowing Wallace in another play. Where most persons are seeing failure, I see progress.

As a passer I am a decent TE, but as my coach tried to insert me in some tricky plays, I learned about reading defenses, hiding the play and throwing depth passes. During that time I noticed about how each player has different speed, exactitude and style to follow a route, and that in 40+ passes require you to gain time in order to allow your receiver to run his route. So the touch is not the key, but the timing. So I can see how difficult is to synchronize Wallace and Tannehill because Ryan wants to throw with timed precision and Wallace is asking to compensate the throw based on the exact point where he's able to explode his route.

They're finding a middle point, but it needs more practice and could be totally fixed by next season.

On Philbin I trust.

Let me be clear.

If Ryan Tannehill have been available at 2013 draft, he could have been the top pick overall.

If Ryan Tannehill has been available for this class, he would be the 1st pick overall.

Picking a project QB every single year is a must in this league, but that doesn't mean to use a high pick on it.

Back
Top Bottom