8/4 - Camp Tweets | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

8/4 - Camp Tweets

Sounds like Shelby is making some noise. On this DL, that's saying something.

Hearing 2 INTs to Cone makes me want to know more. Granted Tannehill threw the ball, and I'm not defending him, but I would like to know if this was completely on T-Hill, Cone or a byproduct of route confusion by both/either?

Billy Turner seems to be slowly locking down a guard starting spot. Shelley Smith seems to be struggling to stay on the team. As I intimated when the center experiment was in full swing, I get this feeling they are struggling with justifying his contract. If nothing else, he will stick because of depth and veteran presence. But I would not be shocked by him being cut in favor of a younger player with more upside and drafted by this regime.

I haven't heard much positive about Smith. Meanwhile, Turner seems to be solidifying a surprise role as a starter. Props to him.

Why bother letting your starting QB throw to the 7th or 8th WR. Cone has 0 chance of making the team

It's a shame Davis can't play like he practices and tbh I don't expect that to change any time soon. I agree with others about Jenkins, McClain, and Tripp being the 2nd team. Why can we not rid ourselves of Trusnik? He is trash.

If Hartline, Clay, and Wallace are out most of Tannehills reps need to come with at least rosterable players like Landry, Gibson (still gimpy??), and Matthews

I'm really curious to see what happens with Finnegan and Delmas. Kevin Coyle has a really good track record of picking DBs up off the scrap heap and getting great production out of them. I wasn't a big fan of either signing, but maybe Coyle can work some more of that magic...

That does seem to be his calling card, getting good production out of scrap heap DBs. Look at last year, Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson looked pretty good.

I'm most interested in the 1-on-1 drills. They should have more of them, and fewer interceptions.

The Canes now feature those on home game days, just outside the tunnel. After the pregame warmups they'll have four matchups, with the rest of the squad gathered around. Wild atmosphere, even though the stadium is not half full. The players root passionately for their guy, the one representing their unit. I guess it's designed to fire up the team. Better players and stadium might help.

During preseason I'll be most interested in Billy Turner and the secondary. I don't expect the secondary newcomers to fare as well this season as they sound in tweets. Also the defensive tackle battle between Francis and Johnson is intriguing, along with a look at Fede. I think I know what we have in Ju'Waun James but getting a feel for his tendencies will be valuable. If Dallas Thomas shows anything I'll be surprised.

I hope we don't throw screen passes late in a preseason game against scrubs and make an idiotic conclusion that they are valuable plays. I've noted that tendency among coordinators who love screens and want to fool the head coach. Same in college when a top team opens the season against a lower division opponent. Screens will ramble all day.

Actually I don't care about interceptions. That was an unnecessary jab. I suspect Tannehill will remain in the same range of competency and the brief excursions to a slightly higher or lower level don't mean much of anything.

Not surprised about Dalton's contract. That's the likely decision we'll face with Tannehill. Dalton went from 6.6 to 6.9 to 7.3 yards per attempt during his first three seasons. It's exactly what Tannehill figures to do, with small variations among the numbers. Then you're forced to evaluate a 7.2 or 7.3 guy in relation to the rest of the league, or what you can logically acquire to replace him. Dalton happened to find the playoffs his first three seasons so he's vulnerable to public ridicule. Last season Cincinnati allowed only 5.9 yards per attempt, which was quietly second behind Seattle in the entire league. That enabled the playoff berth and home favoritism over the Chargers.

What has Jenkins done? I have heard nothing about him all camp. He has been invisible. I have seen nothing that makes me think he deserves a spot over Tripp or McCain.
Jelani Jenkins would be in the top 5 obvious improvers on the entire team. He's going well and if Wheeler fails or gets injured Jelani is in. I think that Philbin even named him a couple of times as an obvious improver. Tripp has the bigger potential but probably later.

It's a shame Davis can't play like he practices and tbh I don't expect that to change any time soon. I agree with others about Jenkins, McClain, and Tripp being the 2nd team. Why can we not rid ourselves of Trusnik? He is trash
He is bigger, stronger and healthier than last season. It was obvious to everyone that he wasn't ready for the NFL last year. Who says he can't play like he practices? Will has the reputation of being a star at practice, day after day after day... Ultimately he will probably get an opportunity in a game. Don't be surprised if he plays really well. He has a lot of self confidence.

It's a shame Davis can't play like he practices and tbh I don't expect that to change any time soon. I agree with others about Jenkins, McClain, and Tripp being the 2nd team. Why can we not rid ourselves of Trusnik? He is trash.

If Hartline, Clay, and Wallace are out most of Tannehills reps need to come with at least rosterable players like Landry, Gibson (still gimpy??), and Matthews

I have often asked a similar question...here is what I believe to be part of the answer.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-teams-ace-jason-trusnik-defies-odds/4026791/

He is bigger, stronger and healthier than last season. It was obvious to everyone that he wasn't ready for the NFL last year. Who says he can't play like he practices? Will has the reputation of being a star at practice, day after day after day... Ultimately he will probably get an opportunity in a game. Don't be surprised if he plays really well. He has a lot of self confidence.

It is my opinion, based on what I saw of him in the NE game, that the coaches made him play back 10. I think he would be better if he was allowed to play more press. He will get burned from time to time but then again, that's why he makes plays in practice IMO, he is reading and playing attack style because he is givin that freedom.

Brady picked on him in second half as soon as he saw that and I believe Michael Thomas was playing to cover up or cover space in his area. Davis will eventually be asked to take on more close up and we need him up on the LOS for that cheesy slot and motion WR screen crap. DAvis has the quickness to stop that dead in its tracks should he have the instincts to read that stuff.

Anyone else think Gillislee might finally emerge as a serious player at RB? I know Hoops does. :lol:

Perhaps we can finally shed Daniel Thomas and go with Moreno, Miller, and Gillislee at RB? Also, why is Omar shocked that Gillislee is such a great blocker and excelled at picking up the blitz? I thought it was common knowledge that it was Gillislee's strength. If he could develop some more at the running and receiving skills he could be a heck of a RB.

It was my understanding that Gillislee was a good blocker and decent short yardage.

If Moreno makes the team fine. If not, I'm intrigued by RB stable of Miller, Gillislee, & Damien Williams.

Totally agree. Some people are just so impatient with the young guys. There is no reason to logically believe the Will Davis we see right now is the way he is always going to be.

He got injured after his great training camp last season too. So its not like he's an amazing practice player then goes to hell in games, he was having a good training camp and his entire season was derailed by an injury.

Totally agree. Some people are just so impatient with the young guys. There is no reason to logically believe the Will Davis we see right now is the way he is always going to be.

I'm all for giving players time to develop. Hell I hope I'm wrong but I've just seen nothing to suggest he isn't a total liability... And someone suggested he play more press? He's not nearly physical enough to be competent at that. He got bigger and stronger, sure, but how much? Is he less afraid of contact now?

:lol: he was going to canton around here off his ota and minicamp last year to many...and then they put pads on

Back
Top Bottom