A Closer Look At The QB Battle | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Closer Look At The QB Battle

How old was Pennington when he came here ? With Tannehill here it's a short term gig for Garrard or Moore as starter anyways.

How old was Pennington when he came here ? With Tannehill here it's a short term gig for Garrard or Moore as starter anyways.

He was 31 I believe. Chad Pennington is the NFL's all-time leader in career completion percentage at 66.0%, among quarterbacks with at least 1,500 pass attempts.[SUP][/SUP] In 2008 with the Dolphins his 67.4 completion percentage lead the NFL and broke the Miami single-season 64.2 by Dan Marino in 1984. He finished the season with a passer rating of 97.4 which is 6.4 points higher then Garrard's highest rating.

I do not see the two players or situations to be alike. Garrard not only has Crohn's disease but missed all of last season to have surgery on his herniated disk. As far as being a WCO QB, he said " I was in it for a little while when Bryon (Leftwich) was the starting quarterback", which does not sound like he has a lot of experience with it.

But I'm willing to let training camp and preseason decide who will be our starting QB or starting anything.

Let training camp and the coaching staff work things out. But I would do it similar to how Shula brought Marino along. He let Woodley play and then started Marino mid season. This gave Marino training camp and the first half of the season to get used to the speed of the NFL.

I suspect Moore will start, Tannehill will be the backup, and Devlin 3rd string or PS. If we're struggling to win games with Moore, Tannehill may replace him mid season. I've never thought much of Garrad as a quality NFL QB, so IMO he will be cut or traded.

If it plays out this way Devlin moves up to backup next year, and draft a QB for 3rd. This would set the Dolphins up for QB for a few years and stop the wondering about our QB situation.

Let training camp and the coaching staff work things out. But I would do it similar to how Shula brought Marino along. He let Woodley play and then started Marino mid season. This gave Marino training camp and the first half ofneasothe season to get used to the speed of the NFL.

I suspect Moore will start, Tannehill will be the backup, and Devlin 3rd string or PS. If we're struggling to win games with Moore, Tannehill may replace him mid season. I've never thought much of Garrad as a quality NFL QB, so IMO he will be cut or traded.

If it plays out this way Devlin moves up to backup next year, and draft a QB for 3rd. This would set the Dolphins up for QB for a few years and stop the wondering about our QB situation.

Marino came in on Week6 after Woodley got hurt. Shula didn't plan to play Marino that season. I don't disagree with the rest.

this is going to be awesome.i dont care who wins the job just as long as we WIN

You guys seem to forget about rookie growing pains, unless our D is lights out, we probably need to start a vet this year and let Ryan play when we can.

That and I would not mind waiting till AFTER our O line has jelled a little. Best case senerio is Moore or Garrard play well and we don't need Tannehill at all this year.

He was 31 I believe. Chad Pennington is the NFL's all-time leader in career completion percentage at 66.0%, among quarterbacks with at least 1,500 pass attempts. In 2008 with the Dolphins his 67.4 completion percentage lead the NFL and broke the Miami single-season 64.2 by Dan Marino in 1984. He finished the season with a passer rating of 97.4 which is 6.4 points higher then Garrard's highest rating.

I do not see the two players or situations to be alike. Garrard not only has Crohn's disease but missed all of last season to have surgery on his herniated disk. As far as being a WCO QB, he said " I was in it for a little while when Bryon (Leftwich) was the starting quarterback", which does not sound like he has a lot of experience with it.

But I'm willing to let training camp and preseason decide who will be our starting QB or starting anything.

David Garrad's highest passer rating as a full time starter was 102.2 in 2007 when he led Jacksonville to the Divisional round of the playoffs.

Let the best guy win. It'd be awesome if Tannehill blew everyone's doors off in camp and became the de facto starter before preseason, but who knows.

Competition rocks.

Marino came in on Week6 after Woodley got hurt. Shula didn't plan to play Marino that season. I don't disagree with the rest.

I don't remember Woodley being injured. I do remember Woodley being aweful the week before against the Saints and being relieved by Marino.

I don't remember Woodley being injured. I do remember Woodley being aweful the week before against the Saints and being relieved by Marino.

Woodley was our version of Tebow. I don't think he ever threw a spiral but he was a decent leader and field general. If they needed to pass Shula went to Strock hence "Wood - strock" was born. Thankfully Marino came along and put a merciful end to it.

Woodley was our version of Tebow. I don't think he ever threw a spiral but he was a decent leader and field general. If they needed to pass Shula went to Strock hence "Wood - strock" was born. Thankfully Marino came along and put a merciful end to it.

Woodley struggled against the better defenses in the NFL during his time as starter. It's why after going 4 for 12 against the Saints in 1983 that Shula had seen enough.

That pass Woodley threw to Jimmy Cefalo in Super Bowl 17 looked pretty good

Let the best guy win. It'd be awesome if Tannehill blew everyone's doors off in camp and became the de facto starter before preseason, but who knows.

Competition rocks.
That would be something and competition does rock. I guess it's win win. If he sits he'll only get better. If he smokes the other guys in camp let the horse run now.

Woodley struggled against the better defenses in the NFL during his time as starter. It's why after going 4 for 12 against the Saints in 1983 that Shula had seen enough.

That pass Woodley threw to Jimmy Cefalo in Super Bowl 17 looked pretty good

True but wasn't it a 20 yard pass and then a 50 yard run by Jimmy ?

Back
Top Bottom