A notable Tagovailoa development, the Derrick Henry question and the star receiver issue | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A notable Tagovailoa development, the Derrick Henry question and the star receiver issue

The reason Henry is a compelling option is because he could solve the offenses 2nd biggest Achilles heal, short yardage.

His ability to plow forward for 2-3 yards at will would be a game changer. Just like Achane’s ability to house it every time he touches the ball was a game changer.
Derrick Henry is a load. When I bet against his teams I hate it when he gets the ball.

Those games end so quickly when you're on the wrong end.

I don't know anything about the salary cap. I do know that sharp teams will pursue him. Whether he picks one of the sharp teams or simply prioritizes a money grab, that's another matter.

Henry is more than capable of playing a Fournette role like Tampa Bay a few seasons ago.

I laughed when posters in this thread were proposing equivalents. Names and punts.

It’s strange to think that Derrick Henry can do better on 3rd and 2 than Achane or Mostert with no other changes.

Based on what?

Achane showed A TON of wiggle and Mostert has it too…

You either believe our OL wasn’t good enough for ANY rb or that we probably should have ran more.

Mostert or Achane are hardly bruiser backs, but it would be criminal to make the argument that you don’t think they could pick up 2 or 3 yards when they were two of the best in the league.

Maybe our OL did need improvement on the inside - I won’t argue against that at all.

But guess what else? We just need to run more on 3rd and short.

Here's his pre-draft evaluation from NFL.com.

From what I've seen so far, I tend to agree with this writer. He's ok... but not really elite, or even above average really.

I think a lot of the brothers are touting the IDEA of Brooks, rather than the reality. But as always... a player could surprise.

Read this evaluation and decide for yourself if it is on the money.

Happens a lot. Brooks is probably better than Gerrid Doaks. The IDEA of Doaks? Probably not.

Happens a lot. Brooks is probably better than Gerrid Doaks. The IDEA of Doaks? Probably not.
We've done this every year here at FH. Doaks, Brooks... and there was another UDFA... Zaquandre something? I can't really remember his name.
I can't fault everyone's enthusiasm... but honestly, very few of these UDFA RBs ever become anything but depth pieces.
RBs are easier to scout than most positions... so the ones with identifiable NFL traits get drafted.

I like Christopher Brooks as a try-hard story, but he was only OK in college... at iffy programs. Expecting him to become a RB2 in the NFL is quite a leap. I won't say 'no', just 'I doubt it'.

One last RB thought...

I'm generally against older prospects, especially at RB, because I think that many (most?) are tapped out. It isn't just the number of carries, it's my belief that they are not apt to get any better.

Case in point... the board was NUTS for Najee Harris... I was VERY against the idea. He was an older prospect coming from a program that put him in a very advantageous position.

...and look what's happened there... he was OK right away... and then less.

I think this is what you get with older RB prospects. So, look at their ages... and go with the youngest prospects. They tore it up early.

One last RB thought...

I'm generally against older prospects, especially at RB, because I think that many (most?) are tapped out. It isn't just the number of carries, it's my belief that they are not apt to get any better.

Case in point... the board was NUTS for Najee Harris... I was VERY against the idea. He was an older prospect coming from a program that put him in a very advantageous position.

...and look what's happened there... he was OK right away... and then less.

I think this is what you get with older RB prospects. So, look at their ages... and go with the youngest prospects. They tore it up early.

I hear you but imagine a back field of Achane , Mostert and Henry with Henry just doing short yardage and saving his best for the cold playoffs at the end

I can dig it just work out the money part

I hear you but imagine a back field of Achane , Mostert and Henry with Henry just doing short yardage and saving his best for the cold playoffs at the end

I can dig it just work out the money part
If he'd work for about 3m/year... sure, but I can't see that happening. I'm sure he's looking for one last fat contract... and he won't get that from us.

It's always fun to think about adding 5 or 6 more high dollar FAs, but that's a Madden thing.

I do think that a Zeke Elliot or Fournette might be more likely for the type of role you are envisioning.

From what I've seen so far, I tend to agree with this writer. He's ok... but not really elite, or even above average really.

I think a lot of the brothers are touting the IDEA of Brooks, rather than the reality. But as always... a player could surprise.

We've done this every year here at FH. Doaks, Brooks... and there was another UDFA... Zaquandre something? I can't really remember his name.
I can't fault everyone's enthusiasm... but honestly, very few of these UDFA RBs ever become anything but depth pieces.
RBs are easier to scout than most positions... so the ones with identifiable NFL traits get drafted.

I like Christopher Brooks as a try-hard story, but he was only OK in college... at iffy programs. Expecting him to become a RB2 in the NFL is quite a leap. I won't say 'no', just 'I doubt it'.
Zaquandre White. Yeah, grass is greener syndrome. Probably long before I was on the board. I've done it too here and there over the years, if only in my head.

.iami

Though I agree the draft evaluation is something that needs to be seriously on a player, it also is far from flawless on how the player will perform.

If it was 100% accurate, RBs like Priest Holmes, Terrell Davis, Christian Okoye, Arian Foster, Pierre Thomas, Alfred Morris to name a few would not have even been given a chance.

The one thing we know for sure from Chris Brooks is that in the few chances he was given, he was given 19 attempts for 106 yards, for a 5.6 yrds per carry average, and a long of 52. He did it with hard faught yards.

He may not be a Henry type talent, but there seems to be something there as far as a power back, combine that with a Achane that at 1st look suggest special RB, and Mostert who has proven to be a top 5 back, Brooks could be a much cheaper option to our powerback issue.

.iami

Though I agree the draft evaluation is something that needs to be seriously on a player, it also is far from flawless on how the player will perform.

If it was 100% accurate, RBs like Priest Holmes, Terrell Davis, Christian Okoye, Arian Foster, Pierre Thomas, Alfred Morris to name a few would not have even been given a chance.

The one thing we know for sure from Chris Brooks is that in the few chances he was given, he was given 19 attempts for 106 yards, for a 5.6 yrds per carry average, and a long of 52. He did it with hard faught yards.

He may not be a Henry type talent, but there seems to be something there as far as a power back, combine that with a Achane that at 1st look suggest special RB, and Mostert who has proven to be a top 5 back, Brooks could be a much cheaper option to our powerback issue.
I certainly hope so...

But when assembling a team, you can't rely on something like this. I think you have to bring in another prospect... and then hope they both work out.

It’s strange to think that Derrick Henry can do better on 3rd and 2 than Achane or Mostert with no other changes.

Based on what?

Achane showed A TON of wiggle and Mostert has it too…

You either believe our OL wasn’t good enough for ANY rb or that we probably should have ran more.

Mostert or Achane are hardly bruiser backs, but it would be criminal to make the argument that you don’t think they could pick up 2 or 3 yards when they were two of the best in the league.

Maybe our OL did need improvement on the inside - I won’t argue against that at all.

But guess what else? We just need to run more on 3rd and short.

And run more on the inside when teams least expect it

Back
Top Bottom