A notable Tagovailoa development, the Derrick Henry question and the star receiver issue | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A notable Tagovailoa development, the Derrick Henry question and the star receiver issue

The reason Henry is a compelling option is because he could solve the offenses 2nd biggest Achilles heal, short yardage.

His ability to plow forward for 2-3 yards at will would be a game changer. Just like Achane’s ability to house it every time he touches the ball was a game changer.

You can’t just say we have RBs, we’re good, when they’re each so unique.

That said, I think Chris Brooks can be that guy at a fraction of the cost but year one left a sour taste in our mouths and we can’t have a repeat of that with missed time.

Henry would REALLY want to be here for it to happen because the money won’t be substantial that’s he’s offered, even by older RBs standards.

Mostert was 7/8 in 3rd/4th and less than two. The only short yardage problem Miami has is a coach that gets too cute rather than play smash mouth football when it’s called for. With that said I’m all for Henry if he wants to play for cheap with a contender in his home state.

Henry is the furthest thing from a scheme fit.

It's like people are playing Chess and saying "king me", punt intended.

Yet he’s exactly what Miami needs. Don’t need to be a perfect fit give it to that monster and say here run 4 yards upfield. Miami can’t be so scheme oriented that’s exactly what killed them this year.

We've done this every year here at FH. Doaks, Brooks... and there was another UDFA... Zaquandre something? I can't really remember his name.
I can't fault everyone's enthusiasm... but honestly, very few of these UDFA RBs ever become anything but depth pieces.
RBs are easier to scout than most positions... so the ones with identifiable NFL traits get drafted.

I like Christopher Brooks as a try-hard story, but he was only OK in college... at iffy programs. Expecting him to become a RB2 in the NFL is quite a leap. I won't say 'no', just 'I doubt it'.
I’m willing to see what he shows us in training camp because he showed a lot last year in preseason
Not that it’s a gauge but you have to love his motor and his violent running style
I’m hoping he does make that leap

I’m willing to see what he shows us in training camp because he showed a lot last year in preseason
Not that it’s a gauge but you have to love his motor and his violent running style
I’m hoping he does make that leap
IIRC, there was a game or two, when Ingold was out, where he took on part of a fullback role and did well.

If his versatility allows that, I think he can be a contributing piece.

IIRC, there was a game or two, when Ingold was out, where he took on part of a fullback role and did well.

Unless some stunner of a back is available let's roll with him as RB3 or 4. We have enough holes to fill right now and drafting a back in round 5+ , to have him spend a year learning our complicated offense, doesn't seem prudent.

Unless some stunner of a back is available let's roll with him as RB3 or 4. We have enough holes to fill right now and drafting a back in round 5+ , to have him spend a year learning our complicated offense, doesn't seem prudent.
I understand Dalvin Cook might be available. Let's give him 6 or 7 mil per, on a 4 year deal.

Dude
Agreed
I actually believe in my heart he’s gonna have some success with us

The article man vs zoom is interesting. I’d suggest the man was largely early in season when teams were trying to man to keep up motion.

I didn’t hardly see any man against the better defenses later in year. They figured out to hand off the motion player, defense the space pockets that Miami targets with zone, while keeping the backside defender containment.

Mostert was 7/8 in 3rd/4th and less than two. The only short yardage problem Miami has is a coach that gets too cute rather than play smash mouth football when it’s called for. With that said I’m all for Henry if he wants to play for cheap with a contender in his home state.

I definitely agree about the coach who got to cute on those short yardage plays, including once losing 11 yards on 3rd and 1. At a certain point it appears he just gave up going for it, Mostert's stats aren't indicative of what we were as a short yardage team over the last two years. It's been a constant a struggle to get the tough yards, outside of some easier opponents.

Its certainly on the coach in a lot of those situations as many play calls saw our RB's going east-west and in some cases south.

By the middle to end of the season, 3rd and more than a yard and a half were strictly running plays.

2022 was a much bigger failure as we attempted and failed many on more attempted short yardage runs.

Not having a threat at TE also hindered our ability to get defenders off the LOS.

I certainly hope so...

But when assembling a team, you can't rely on something like this. I think you have to bring in another prospect... and then hope they both work out.

I agree, the problem is the salary cap issue no matter how it's remedied, is still going to force us to make moves strategically this year, so we may not have room for any luxury moves.

On the other hand, when it comes to salary cap, you're many steps way ahead of me, so maybe you see something I don't, and it happening may be possible.

If the team found a way to bring in a Henry, or like talent, you won't hear any complaints from me.

Last edited:
I agree, the problem is the salary cap issue no matter how it's remedied, is still going to force us to make moves strategically this year, so we may not have room for any luxury moves.

In the other hand, when it comes to salary cap, you many steps way ahead of me, so maybe you see something I don't, and it happening may be possible.

If the team found a way to bring in a Henry, or like talent, you won't hear any complaints from me.
Well... after posting last night, i saw one website that predicted that Henry would only get a one year 4.3m deal...
We could do that. Coupled with a Wilson release... it wouldn't make a ripple.
I kind of doubt whether he'd be this cheap, but Henry being cheap has always been my condition for even considering it.

I’m happy with running back as is minus wilson, with brooks, and add a undrafted free agent.

We have to few assets and not much free agency money to play with to take from those two pools

Achane and Mostert sharing the Carrie’s.

Brooks to get some work after and situationally unless the undrafted kid can beat him out early

Back
Top Bottom