Aaron Brewer to the Dolphins | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Aaron Brewer to the Dolphins

This CAN'T be our Center move going forward. I have to believe that either Jackson Powers-Johnson or Graham Barton are in the plans. There are lots of good Center prospects in this draft although I want no part of that Georgia Center.
Can he be our center moving laterally?

How's it going Zach Wilson's fan club president? šŸ˜‚

The one thing I'll caution is all this trust in Butch Barry magically transforming and maximizing every pupil. Simply not realistic and prone to impression regression.

The default is ability level

I will gladly and eagerly eat crow if he turns out to be a positive to the team. I don't get any satisfaction from being right when a player that I thinks sucks does bad. I'm a Fins fan, I've been aching for them to win another Bowl before I die, but I don't have to blindly cheer every move Grier makes. I will root for him when he's on the field.

Agreed, feel the same here.

I have been cheering Grier on this whole FA.

This move, absolutely not. But, it's ok. Don't need to like or agree every choice or signing.

But we'll see.

At the end of the day I am excited about next season.

I honestly believe we have gotten better, so far.

ahh very interesting. thanks very much. i had no idea the c is used as a help defender in pass pro in the miami system. if the center is helping to block the guy the guard is blocking, who blocks the guy the center is supposed to block? unless only a 4 man rush, often times there are as many as more guys rushing as blocking? you sound like you know what you are talking about, may be hard to describe how it works but if you have time and can do it in third grade terms, i would be curious. thx again for the response
I don't consider myself any kind of an OL expert, but Tennessee seems to use a man protection scheme (also called big on big) more often than Miami does. Miami generally slides protection one way or another and you often include the TE in your count. I think Miami uses slide/zone protection or combo blocking more b/c it's easier to make it look like outside zone run blocking. The

The most important thing for the C in Miami's system is for the C to have the awareness to block the right guy. The example that comes to mind is the final offensive play for Miami against Tennessee. Eich was playing C and Miami needed something like 7 yards to get a first and keep the drive alive. Eich had

Here is a link to a page that has some images that might help. https://www.samfleener.com/football/offense-fundamentals/offensive-line/pass-protection

Pass Protection​

One of the most glossed over parts of football from a fan perspective is pass protection. You could quiz most fans and they would have zero clue about how they work or what they look like. This is not their fault however. Pass protection lends itself to complexity, so I will try to explain it as simply as possible. The stereotype that offensive linemen are yolked out meatheads is a fallacy. For the sake of Brevity, we will focus on three types of pass protection:

1. Man
  2. Zone
  3. Combination

Man Protection
Man or BOB (Big on Big) blocking schemes are the simplest form of pass protection. They are good for getting offensive linemen on defensive linemen while having a back assigned to a linebacker. Essentially covered offensive linemen will block the defensive linemen covering them. The OL always want to protect against the most imminent threat from the defense. This might depend on defensive personnel or tendencies. Non-center offensive lineman will block a defensive lineman that are lined up directly over top or shaded over him. The linemen who aren't covered will work "inside out". This means that those linemen that aren't covered will look to protect their inside gap before looking to lock on to a LB. The center doesn't necessarily follow this concept.

BOB Right
pTG8Lqieyt-ucJb72cTb8zbSlM_FFIW_A5uRGJEMuPo_gQYlw9EYqbxotvNK2GDXL0pA00lVLu7vU8a0E7Sv7czD8K7fq3i9qL7q48W6C-irL_7G=w1280

BOB Left
EpRqqsQHZUCXM--_0RJuX9M2Sj-EeJ3RHssQ24O0jEFHpFbEW7jq2t_hKdyRyfuaIg0p0MDne04U8Cno7cXhoTP_49ko-kiAhSA2rF5bj-kcMjuj=w1280

Notice here that the guard and the center work together to pick up the tackle and the WLB or the MLB if they blitz. The RB can pick up either LB as well. If the RB isn't available for pass pro, it will force a hot read from the QB if they bring a 6 man pressure.
By adding a TE, RB or both, you can really solidify the pass protection scheme. 5 and 6 man protection schemes are fine, but any pressure more than 6 men can be a problem. They can be mitigated with hit reads in the passing game, but its not ideal. This adds complexity and it can be a lot to dissect in the heat of the moment during a game. By going to a 7 man blocking scheme, the only way the defense can force a hot throw would be with cover 0 behind it because the defense would need to send a secondary defender. (CB blitz, fire blitz) These are just some base concepts and they can be adapted to just about any game plan.

BOB Right 7 Man Protect
V_4Hg3NNlywYiTgiAD3WpDAzv_4HW-po3qBLtS1QEbjrkUK1qqURnSMvSOSL7qyf5do6C-zj2sbXMBdYIDFCDzHCt6-OdRkhziwbTb4PFOeH095u=w1280

BOB Right 7 Man Protect
xPo14STXnTYG-Hjwa7j3biYuorh4C960Dg2eAdP3LX1lPi0mvLjgDiSH2OXJU6jhQ_dM3RziOWlbRRfTsN18AXLg5OMXq7_PGIPY7cLsEEj_62Uw=w1280

Zone or Slide Protection
Zone protections are a simpler form of pass protection. Rather than having blockers pick up combinations of defenders, blockers will simply block a gap or zone. This removes much of the complexity of most man schemes. Slide protections are almost always a minimum of a 6 man protection. It is important for linemen to be disciplined and keep their heads up. Even slide protection they have inside out responsibility. If a linemen steps to an empty gap or is uncovered, they can look to help inside if no LB shows.

Slide Right w/o TE
hTR74IhRkG-1K8bIYEfV5mOf0bdKbaybUhuCh4RNst_CHWMCSF5UzOkU3YdtderaWIQNPO8kJdOgi5AoMW1d9VaX6y5KFG406SKipMNVHMjJxAUM=w1280

Slide Left w/ TE
uIKE8NJoiGR-VwreYzo8xD890jgrqzAd7SxqpUsLfdAv_--rEi7sWhiUrzlBWmdO4hbAQgv-SU5tF-afwk9uxLLgMSMgMN-5wcJ6evREecZp1vz6=w1280

One major downside to this kind of protection is that it relies on a RB on blocking a defensive end most of the time. In my experience, defensive ends are one of the best athletes on the defense for many teams. Not every team has a brawler at RB. If you have a good match-up at RB and you think he can bang with those guys, this scheme might be a good fit.

Combination Protection
Combo protection is probably the most effective blocking scheme out of the three discussed here, and if I'm honest, most protection devolves into a bastardized version of combo protection anyway. Zone blocking to one side helps deal with blitzes and stunts because linemen aren't tempted to chase their assignment. It also reduces the amount of pressure on the front side linemen to determine match-ups and combinations that happen in BOB pass protection. It also means that you will have a RB on a LB in most scenarios. This is good for most teams because their RB can usually bang with most LBs.

Combo Right
-_Byy9RCTWYriu4JdHyQCu3utdO0P6gAouVr0VjV7RwZyoZUGPmMXp_0IaKi3xFd8WY7fENw7IvDLj9uyBokorqd47WVLsh92RKdl1JI-Nuci-WT=w1280

Left w/ TE
GxuU94FrfzXel-5wHdQx5ZY0TjIBKb2iycLptbPjn19B8sPF3lTsJzKR9KPEbSyDyf3kQ1D8LyJpBXGupaexKhweVsL6U69OWekP1Ni3prUTucQK=w1280

It seems that some of the images didn't work, sorry, but you can go to the site and see them. Some of those lines where you see OL or backs going to block LBs will become help defenders when there is no blitz. This is very simplistic but I hope it helps.

This CAN'T be our Center move going forward. I have to believe that either Jackson Powers-Johnson or Graham Barton are in the plans. There are lots of good Center prospects in this draft although I want no part of that Georgia Center.

Why not wait until training camp is over before you start worrying about that.

Who do you think will start at Center if we keep them both, and even more importantly, why?

it just dawned on me, the wierd thing about this guy is he is a great run blocker, but a terrible pass blocker. i think he graded out the worst of all starting centers pass blocking. one would think if can drive guys off the ball and be a great run blocker, it would translate well to pass blocking? i don't get it? maybe different technique? or maybe he is just small, and he excels at run blocking because he can move and pull, but is not big or strong enough to hold up in pass blocking? i don't get it, wonder what explanation the dolphins would give for the disparity as to why he is good at one and not the other, and if they have a roadmap to fix it?

It seems obvious to me that our coaches have some specific information we don't have as to why that's the case and feel they can correct it.

Back
Top Bottom