Acording to Mando: Soliai "Would like to return to the Dolphins" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Acording to Mando: Soliai "Would like to return to the Dolphins"

Personally I think you can get Soliai for around Mitchell's # and I'd do it. If you can't you look elsewhere for a plugger. It's a move I'd be happy with, but I also don't get the sense Mitchell is going anywhere.

My sentiment is they like Mitchell's pass rushing ability. Vance Joseph doesn't blitz with regularity and relies heavily on the DL front to create pressure in the passing game. It's my belief that Coyle's run vs pass calls were a detriment to our run defense where in a one gap scheme you can be exploited by making the wrong call according to down & distance, or time remaining.

Personally I think you can get Soliai for around Mitchell's # and I'd do it. If you can't you look elsewhere for a plugger. It's a move I'd be happy with, but I also don't get the sense Mitchell is going anywhere.

But its about players your familiar with and know one left here is really attaced to Soliai, I agree with SOS they will probably roll with Mitchell because of the connections and low cap hit.

Mitchell isn't going anywhere. Not only did he play with Mario Williams in Houston but it was also during the same 3 yr time period where Vance Joseph was the defensive coach for the Texans as well. Connecting the dots (la la lala) he'll be on our roster for '16.

62114642.jpg

Adolphus Washington for some reason is now being considered a late second even possible third round pick.

I'd love to add him to the mix with our third, even though he's worth our second rounder, with Phillips and Suh in the mix we need an OG more.

Washington would be a nice value pick even if we moved forward from our third rounder to get him.

My sentiment is they like Mitchell's pass rushing ability. Vance Joseph doesn't blitz with regularity and relies heavily on the DL front to create pressure in the passing game. It's my belief that Coyle's run vs pass calls were a detriment to our run defense where in a one gap scheme you can be exploited by making the wrong call according to down & distance, or time remaining.

This is as good a reason as any that I've seen for keeping Earl Mitchell. The guy completely disappeared last season despite the addition of Suh, yet was a coach favorite last season. That's a red flag to a flaw in the scheme rather than a flaw with the player.

Said it before, and will say it again, Big Paul would be awesome next to Suh. Miami has had issues stopping the run, but you bring Paul in, and the issues against the run, will instantly get somewhat better (Kiko Alonzo stays healthy, and plays up to his ability, and the run D becomes significantly better).

Also if teams decide on passing plays to put most of their attention on Suh, Big Paul though not known for his pass-rushing, is fully capable of breaking through the middle and destroying that pocket...along w/ the QB hanging out in it.

T-baum, wake up, get smart and start inquiring on what it would cost to bring him back.

Among other things he would be a nice mentor for Phillips. When Soliai came out of Utah he was a recent convert to defense who was fat, out of shape and had no technique. But man was he an athlete. Go look at his workout numbers. Soliai ran a 1.69 10 yard split and jumped over 30 inches... at 344 pounds.

As I recall it was Sparano that really turned him around... one of Meatball's true successes. He got Big Paul working hard and playing hard. That's what Phillips needs, too. I'm not sure Suh is the guy to help him. Suh is an ultra-militant loner. Not an ideal personality type for a mentor. Paul is a soft spoken gentle giant type, but he might be able to speak Phillips' language in a way that Suh doesn't.

i'd only keep earl Mitchell on the 53 man roster if someone can figure out where the heck he went when he was on the field most of last season.

Among other things he would be a nice mentor for Phillips. When Soliai came out of Utah he was a recent convert to defense who was fat, out of shape and had no technique. But man was he an athlete. Go look at his workout numbers. Soliai ran a 1.69 10 yard split and jumped over 30 inches... at 344 pounds.

As I recall it was Sparano that really turned him around... one of Meatball's true successes. He got Big Paul working hard and playing hard. That's what Phillips needs, too. I'm not sure Suh is the guy to help him. Suh is an ultra-militant loner. Not an ideal personality type for a mentor. Paul is a soft spoken gentle giant type, but he might be able to speak Phillips' language in a way that Suh doesn't.

Suh mentored Phillips through offseason workouts and training camp last year.

Soliai's play has declined and was downgraded last year in Atlanta by a very respected defensive mind in Dan Quinn. He also doesn't have the pass rush skills that are needed up front as VJ doesn't blitz very much.

This season is a huge one for phillips. I am sure hoping he can live up to his potential. Soliai can just be backup fodder for rotational purposes. Can't hurt if the money is there.

Suh mentored Phillips through offseason workouts and training camp last year.

I realize that. I'm saying I don't think their personalities are a good match.

Soliai's play has declined and was downgraded last year in Atlanta by a very respected defensive mind in Dan Quinn. He also doesn't have the pass rush skills that are needed up front as VJ doesn't blitz very much.

I respect Dan Quinn, but not enough to say that because he releases someone that it follows that said player can no longer play. I would be intrigued to see what kind of a contract Soliai would demand. Defensive tackles have a way of sticking around. Strength is the last physical attribute to go. Unless Soliai has some major injury issues I'm not aware of I find it hard to believe he couldn't be a useful player in the right role.

I get the pass rush argument, but you need to stop the run first and we were pretty awful at it last year. Whether it's Soliai or someone else, a run stopping DT is a worthwhile investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this posted on Rotoworld where Armando quoted Paul Solai that he would welcome a return to the Dolphins. He would be a great pick up. As a player who was released he would not count against our Comp draft picks next year. He's 32, but as a rotational player, he would be highly effective next to Suh.

Really hope this happens on the cheap, the guy is a wall and the more blockers we can eat the better we help the LB core and rushers on the edge.

Back
Top Bottom