Acording to Mando: Soliai "Would like to return to the Dolphins" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Acording to Mando: Soliai "Would like to return to the Dolphins"

Dan Quinn needs to explain how his team fell off a cliff last year after a good start.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 38s38 seconds ago
Meanwhile, former #Falcons DL Paul Soliai is visiting the #Panthers, source said. Could stay in the division

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 38s38 seconds ago
Meanwhile, former #Falcons DL Paul Soliai is visiting the #Panthers, source said. Could stay in the division

I guess I'll wait to see the contract details, but Soliai seemed like such an obvious get/fit. DT's take a while to develop, and I view this DT class as DRASTICALLY overrated - particularly in players that would compliment Suh. Better hope that Phillips puts on his big-boy pants. I believe Knighton is still on the market, and I'd take him as well. Miami should add insurance to the plan to start Phillips (assuming that's the plan). Unless this D adds a rock to the 1-tech, either by Phillips development or a FA acquisition, Miami will struggle to stop the run. Understanding the importance of stopping the run, Miami should throw some change at an old fat guy.

I guess I'll wait to see the contract details, but Soliai seemed like such an obvious get/fit. DT's take a while to develop, and I view this DT class as DRASTICALLY overrated - particularly in players that would compliment Suh. Better hope that Phillips puts on his big-boy pants. I believe Knighton is still on the market, and I'd take him as well. Miami should add insurance to the plan to start Phillips (assuming that's the plan). Unless this D adds a rock to the 1-tech, either by Phillips development or a FA acquisition, Miami will struggle to stop the run. Understanding the importance of stopping the run, Miami should throw some change at an old fat guy.

I agree completely. We need a 2 down plugger at DT.

Two things:

Firstly, when we let Soliai go I made it clear before-hand that it would seriously hamper our run defense. We ended up letting him go and having ALL gap-penetrators with no DL to force-occupy two blockers on every play. Just what I predicted happened ... our run defense took a nose dive as the offense dictated which gap penetrator to double team every play and forced our LB's to man up ... and they predictably failed miserably. Say what you want about the Atlanta line with Soliai, but with the gap penetrators beside him in Miami we had a solid run defense. And when he left, we had no stout presence along the DL and we've sorely missed that ever since.

Secondly, because his hair-dye sessions were well publicized "hazing" for rookies just before our whole locker room came under serious scrutiny, I don't see Ross wanting to bring Soliai back. I think he would veto it.

Personally, I'd love to see Soliai back at a low salary ... we desperately need someone with the strength to force-occupy a double team, freeing up our other talented DL to dominate.

DEC Management ‏@davidcanter 2m2 minutes ago
Have you ever seen a 330lb defensive tackle dab? Well @Panthers fans get ready because BIG PAUL SOLIAI is officially a Panther!

Two things:

Firstly, when we let Soliai go I made it clear before-hand that it would seriously hamper our run defense. We ended up letting him go and having ALL gap-penetrators with no DL to force-occupy two blockers on every play. Just what I predicted happened ... our run defense took a nose dive as the offense dictated which gap penetrator to double team every play and forced our LB's to man up ... and they predictably failed miserably. Say what you want about the Atlanta line with Soliai, but with the gap penetrators beside him in Miami we had a solid run defense. And when he left, we had no stout presence along the DL and we've sorely missed that ever since.

Secondly, because his hair-dye sessions were well publicized "hazing" for rookies just before our whole locker room came under serious scrutiny, I don't see Ross wanting to bring Soliai back. I think he would veto it.

Personally, I'd love to see Soliai back at a low salary ... we desperately need someone with the strength to force-occupy a double team, freeing up our other talented DL to dominate.

I didn't want to see Soliai leave either, but we franchised Starks and couldn't keep both. Our run D back then proved we need two mountains in the middle, finesse gap DE's can't stop the run.
http://www.finheaven.com/showthread...tial-to-the-Dolphins-success&highlight=soliai

DEC Management ‏@davidcanter 2m2 minutes ago
Have you ever seen a 330lb defensive tackle dab? Well @Panthers fans get ready because BIG PAUL SOLIAI is officially a Panther!

After Knighton, there isn't really another big-bodied DT in FA. It looks like we're rolling with Phillips and hopefully not a pick in the 1st or 2nd RD at DT.

Two things:

Dude, the haircuts are a non-issue. It was pretty harmless stuff that built some camaraderie. Cam Wake was his assistant. Absolute non-issue.
However, Big Paulie is not the player he was 3 - 4 years ago, when he was earning the big bucks. Bigger issue is his playing performance and why he has had 2 poor seasons in Atlanta. If he was very cheap, I'd welcome him back to compete, but if we are confident in Phillips, then why spend the money?
Other issue linked to this is understanding why Earl Mitchell underperformed last season. He is well remunerated. What is Mitchell's problem? He got good money and we beat off several other suiters because he was considered a very good 1 technique DT. Didn't he work cohesively with Ndamukong Suh? What happened? Is he the wrong fit for what we want to run on the D Line?

Daytona, any word that Dolphins will sign a "real" run stuffing DT, like Knighton, don't think Phillips can do the job…….

Back
Top Bottom