Adam Gase announces starting offensive lineman | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Adam Gase announces starting offensive lineman

Guard needed to be our round 1 investment this year and now you can see why.

The only one who was worthy of a first round pick was Forest Lamp and he's already done for the year.

You're crazy if you think we should have taken OG in the first. The highest OG in the draft was Lamp and he went in the 2nd and he's injured and out for the year. The next highest OG went late 2nd but you wanted to take them in the first lol

For lack of better talent, I'm not surprised Steen got the start. He's Gase's guy. Gase challenged him last year to play out of his natural position at Center, and Steen, while not spectacular, didn't crumble. Gase puts high regard on character and effort, and Steen has both. I don't really think Steen is starter-quality, but I DO believe he will be a reliable backup for us in coming years.

I actually thought that Davis was going to start at LG but we'll see what Steen does. Man I miss the days of Little, Kuechenburg, Ed Newman, Simms....those were guards

Ozzy rules!!

It's not all pro but certainly not as bad as some fans make the offensive line out to be. It all rides on Pouncy and how long he remains healthy.
They have a plan in place, I'm more inclined to see if it bears fruit.

Now that I can agree with. Whoever has been coaching New England's line all these years has been working magic with players whose pedigrees aren't all that great. I think some of that is also a function of the ratcheting up of effort you see in players when they're part of a winning culture.

Dante Scarnecchia returned to coaching the New England Patriots offensive line in 2016 and is now in his 46th coaching season. He re-joined the coaching staff in 2016 after a two-year retirement.
He owns the longest coaching tenure in Patriots history, now entering his 32nd season on the Patriots sidelines and is the longest current tenured NFL coach.

Scarnecchia has been on the Patriots coaching staff during 19 of the franchise's 24 playoff seasons and has coached in 42 of the 51 playoff games in team history.

Dante Scarnecchia. He gives phenomenal clinics, too.

The most recent year he wasn't there ('15) they had significant struggles up front.

I think their trick in that regard is to draft guys who are smart and are therefore coachable, and then use Scarnecchia and the winning culture to get them to elevate their play far beyond what would happen elsewhere.

Other teams are drafting linemen on the basis of physical characteristics rather than intelligence, and those players aren't as able to translate the coaching to an elevation of their play.

It was obviously far more important to upgrade a unit consisting of Wake, Branch, Hayes and Fede than a unit with Steen, Bushrod, and Jesse Davis..

It's not all pro but certainly not as bad as some fans make the offensive line out to be. It all rides on Pouncy and how long he remains healthy.
They have a plan in place, I'm more inclined to see if it bears fruit.
It's almost the same o-line as last year. Only difference is BA is gone and Steen will start at LG with Tunsil moving to LT. I don't see how that can be any better than last year but we'll have to wait and see. They were not very good last year and the FO didn't do much to change it

Ozzy rules!!

He was supposed to fill in,but was signed by the Titans earlier today

It's almost the same o-line as last year. Only difference is BA is gone and Steen will start at LG with Tunsil moving to LT. I don't see how that can be any better than last year but we'll have to wait and see. They were not very good last year and the FO didn't do much to change it

Ozzy rules!!

Here's the thing: It doesn't have to be better than what we had last year with Pouncy. Everything hinges on him being healthy. If/when we lose Pouncy then there will clearly be a drop off. I'm just hoping it's manageable.

One last thing. Continuity can be a good thing and that is what I believe that Gase is trying to set the stage for. These are guys he likes and have rated himself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom