AFC EAST positional breakdowns (Long Read) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC EAST positional breakdowns (Long Read)

Who is the best overall team in the east?

• Total voters

PhinPhan910

Active Roster
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am aware there is a similar thread that is about the best players in the east at their positions but I am ranking the overall at each position, I will try not to be a homer. People will probably disagree with how I ranked it.
REMEMBER, this is with the current rosters and to say there will be no key injuries.

Quarterback:
1.Patriots, Tom Brady
2.Dolphins, Chad Pennington
3.Bills, Trent Edwards
4.Jets, Kellen Clemens/ Mark Sanchez

Halfback
1.Dolphins, Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams
2.Bills, Marshawn Lynch/Fred Jackson
3.Jets, Thomas Jones/Leon Washington
4.Patriots, (Too many to name)

Wide-Receiver
1.Patriots, Randy Moss/Wes Welker
2.Bills, Terrell Owens/Lee Evans
3.Dolphins, Ted Ginn/Davone Bess
4.Jets, Jerricho Cotchery/Chansi Stuckey??

Tight End
1.Dolphins, Anthony Fasano
2.Jets, Dustin Keller
3.Patriots, Ben Watson
4.Bills, Derek Schouman

O-Line
1.Jets
2.Dolphins
3.Patriots
4.Bills

Overall Offense (I added the numbers in the rankings together for this, so you may see it differently)
1.Dolphins (9)
2.Patriots (12)
4.Bills (15)
3.Jets (14)

How I see it:
1.Patriots
2.Dolphins
3.Bills
4.Jets

D-Line
1.Patriots
2.Jets
3.Bills
4.Dolphins

Linebackers
1.Dolphins
2.Jets
3.Bills
4.Patriots

CornerBack
1.Jets
2.Bills
3.Pats
4.Fins

Safety
1.Dolphins (Two solid Safety)
2.Jets
3.Bills
4.Patriots

Overall D
1.Jets (8)
2.Fins (10)
2.Bills (10)
4.Patriots (12)

How I see it:
1.Jets
2.Dolphins
3.Patriots
4.Bills

Overall Team:
1.Fins (19)
3.Patriots (24)
2.Jets (21)
4.Bills (26)

How I see it: With Rankings
1.Dolphins (10-6)
2.Patriots (10-6)
3.Bills (8-8)
4.Jets (6-10)

Wow, that took a while.:err:

I disagree with your Overall Offense - I think the Bills are defiantly in front of us while the Jets are last. Other then that it was interesting and I agree with most of it.

Disagree with a lot, I think that Dustin Keller will be the best TE this season in the division.
The Jets RBs are better than 3rd in the division. A trio of Jones, Leon, and Greene will be really good. Thomas Jones lead the AFC in rushing last year.

Also I think the Bills DL is the worst in the AFC east, they are easily pushed around. I also think the Jets have the best LBs in the division, maybe not with Calvin Pace out for 4 games but when hes in they do.

Your assessment of the Bills is accurate enough, I want to argue, but don't have the ground to stand on. The Bills TE's may surprise a few people, but now they are at the bottom where they belong at this point.

In 3 weeks, when things start to matter a bit more with the pads on, there will be a better idea of what the facts are for all the teams in the division.

I think that Dustin Keller will be the best TE this season in the division.
Thats because your a jets fan, i think ben watson and anthony fasano are more balanced TE's.
Also, its hard to rank the afc east HB position with the jets bills and fins being all about equal.

Dustin Keller is probably the best TE in the division. I would have Fasano next and then Watson.

I think you should have split the linebackers also. I know that is hard to do with the Bills playing a 4-3, but the Jets have the best ILB's in the division, while the Fins probably have the best OLB's.

Every thing else I would pretty much agree with. The D-Line rankings are hard to call but the Bills at 2 maybe a bit high. Maybin has'nt proved anything and Schobel is coming back from injury. With Stroud in the middle they potentially have the best D-Line but it depends on what they get from Maybin.

I think everyone is exaggerating and putting the fins at losing because the pats got tom brady.
The pats have a worse D then us, sure they have tom brady and randy moss but if people want to base this on 2007 then ronnie brown is equally as affective at his position than tom brady is, ted ginn has a pretty good shot to get 1,000 yards, Davone Bess is an up and coming Wes Welker. And in anthony fasano's first year of starting he had 7 td's and this year he will be better. We have Joey Porter, Jason Taylor, and Cameron Wake has potential to be a DeMarcus Ware.We got big Patrick Turner, we got two corners in the draft who have potential, so tell me, what am i missing here?

Thats because your a jets fan, i think ben watson and anthony fasano are more balanced TE's.
Also, its hard to rank the afc east HB position with the jets bills and fins being all about equal.
It don't matter if they are more balanced, Keller is a more talented pass catcher and I think he will be a probowl type TE in the future. I think he'll get between 700-900 yards this season as hes basically our #2 receiver. Pass catching TEs hold more value, especially the ones that can really do damage to a defense like a Dustin Keller will be able to do. 535 yards for a rookie TE is a nice season, he'll have better numbers this year as he will be one of the primary targets early on, unlike last year where J-Co and Coles were the top 2 guys and Stuckey we getting more looks early on as a 3rd target.

I think everyone is exaggerating and putting the fins at losing because the pats got tom brady.
The pats have a worse D then us, sure they have tom brady and randy moss but if people want to base this on 2007 then ronnie brown is equally as affective at his position than tom brady is, ted ginn has a pretty good shot to get 1,000 yards, Davone Bess is an up and coming Wes Welker. And in anthony fasano's first year of starting he had 7 td's and this year he will be better. We have Joey Porter, Jason Taylor, and Cameron Wake has potential to be a DeMarcus Ware.We got big Patrick Turner, we got two corners in the draft who have potential, so tell me, what am i missing here?

A non-biased look at the division.

A non-biased look at the division.
Agreed, the Patriots are clearly the top team in the division. Tom Brady is the best QB in football, that offense is loaded and will be tough to stop. And the Patriots defense won't will be good enough for how good their offense is.

The Dolphins most likely get a dose of reality this year, Chad Pennington is mediocre at QB and will struggle with the tougher teams. Last year they had a light schedule that allowed Pennington to be effective, against defenses with skill he struggles. His dump offs don't keep defenses honest, his inability to stretch the field hurts you.
He says that Ronnie Brown is the same as a Tom Brady, the RB that had 1 1,000 yard season in his career, and barely had it.

And Fasano is basically as good as he'll ever be, hes been in the NFL for 3 years and his best year he got 400 yards, thats what he is. Most likely drops in TD numbers this year. Very limited in talent.
Cameron Wake is not going to be anywhere near as good as Demarcus Ware who is the best pass rusher in football. Doubt Wake does anything worth noting.
Jason Taylor is a liability against the run, is older now and I doubt Porter does what he did last year who is also older now.

The Dolphins aren't the team to beat.

Agreed, the Patriots are clearly the top team in the division. Tom Brady is the best QB in football, that offense is loaded and will be tough to stop. And the Patriots defense won't will be good enough for how good their offense is.

The Dolphins most likely get a dose of reality this year, Chad Pennington is mediocre at QB and will struggle with the tougher teams. Last year they had a light schedule that allowed Pennington to be effective, against defenses with skill he struggles. His dump offs don't keep defenses honest, his inability to stretch the field hurts you.
He says that Ronnie Brown is the same as a Tom Brady, the RB that had 1 1,000 yard season in his career, and barely had it.

And Fasano is basically as good as he'll ever be, hes been in the NFL for 3 years and his best year he got 400 yards, thats what he is. Most likely drops in TD numbers this year. Very limited in talent.
Cameron Wake is not going to be anywhere near as good as Demarcus Ware who is the best pass rusher in football. Doubt Wake does anything worth noting.
Jason Taylor is a liability against the run, is older now and I doubt Porter does what he did last year who is also older now.

The Dolphins aren't the team to beat.
lol

Jetsfan,
I said Cam Wake had potential to be a great pass rushing force (like demarcus ware) he had 39 sacks in 2 seasons so im excited for him. Tom Brady was only truly dominant in 07 with the rest of the time him being pretty good. Ronnie Brown in 07 was on pace to break the nfl record for all-purpose yards. His first season was as a rookie and rookies tend not to make big impacts, his second year he had 1,000 yards his third year I already mentioned and last year he was coming off a serious injury.
I think Drew Brees is the best QB in football. He has better stats in previous years than Tom Brady and with only 1 reliable option at WR.
Porter has a good 10 sack season most likely, same with taylor who wasn't good last year because he dealt with injuries and played at DE, Taylor is more effective as an OLB which is what he will be playing now.
I think whoever wins the east is the team to beat just as the steelers are the team to beat since they won the super bowl.

Jetsfan,
I said Cam Wake had potential to be a great pass rushing force (like demarcus ware) he had 39 sacks in 2 seasons so im excited for him. Tom Brady was only truly dominant in 07 with the rest of the time him being pretty good. Ronnie Brown in 07 was on pace to break the nfl record for all-purpose yards. His first season was as a rookie and rookies tend not to make big impacts, his second year he had 1,000 yards his third year I already mentioned and last year he was coming off a serious injury.
I think Drew Brees is the best QB in football. He has better stats in previous years than Tom Brady and with only 1 reliable option at WR.
Porter has a good 10 sack season most likely, same with taylor who wasn't good last year because he dealt with injuries and played at DE, Taylor is more effective as an OLB which is what he will be playing now.
I think whoever wins the east is the team to beat just as the steelers are the team to beat since they won the super bowl.

Brees never threw 50 TDS in a season, or won 3 SBs. Brees is not as good as Brady.

Cameron Wake did good in CFL, so have a lot of other scrubs. That football league is weak, every year some nobody that has success over there tries out for an NFL team and do nothing.
I doubt Porter and Taylor get 10+ sacks each and Wake becomes a star, that seems very optimistic for the Dolphins.
Wake doesn't have the ability of a Ware, he will never be as good as Ware. I saw film of Wake and he doesn't have even half the skill that Ware has, hes nothing special.

And I just don't consider the Dolphins the team to beat, they weren't that good last year. They had a lot of luck, they came out on top in a lot of close ball games and had help by the Jets falling apart, if it wasn't for Favre injuring his shoulder and the coaching staff being incompetent, the Jets would of won the division. And if Brady didn't get injured the Patriots probably easily would of won it.

Back
Top Bottom