AFC EAST positional breakdowns (Long Read) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC EAST positional breakdowns (Long Read)

Who is the best overall team in the east?

• Total voters
What long gains? i remember one against the pats and one against the texans and i probably missed 2 or 3 more or something but the wildcat was NOT the reason we won 11 games or were in the top of the league in rushing and passing.
Even if we hadn't used the wildcat we would still most likely have 11 games won and the division.
People tend to forget that our D held the patriots to 13 points not the wildcat.
I believe we could easily get over 13 points and beat the pats.
Other than that the wildcat wasn't that effective.
From the highlight video I saw, all the long gains were from the Wild cat formation. And I never said that is why the Dolphins won 11 games, they won 11 games because they weren't turning the ball over, I believe they had the best turnover ratio in the league. They played tough defense, and didn't turn the ball over. Without turning the ball over much the Dolphins were able to come out on top in A LOT of close games that could of gone either way.

But a reason the Dolphins were high on the rush list also could be due to the weak schedule, not a lot of challenging defenses they played.
Cardinals had the 16th ranked run defense
Oakland had the 31st ranked run defense
Bills had the 22nd ranked run defense
Texans had the 23rd ranked run defense
Denver had the 27th ranked run defense
Seahawks had the 18th ranked run defense
Rams had the 29th run defense
Chiefs had the 30th run defense

From the highlight video I saw, ALL the long gains were from the Wild cat formation. And I never said that is why the Dolphins won 11 games, they won 11 games because they weren't turning the ball over, I believe they had the best turnover ratio in the league. They played tough defense, and didn't turn the ball over. Without turning the ball over much the Dolphins were able to come out on top in A LOT of close games that could of gone either way.

But a reason the Dolphins were high on the rush list also could be due to the weak schedule, not a lot of challenging defenses they played.
Cardinals had the 16th ranked run defense
Oakland had the 31st ranked run defense
Bills had the 22nd ranked run defense
Texans had the 23rd ranked run defense
Denver had the 27th ranked run defense
Seahawks had the 18th ranked run defense
Rams had the 29th run defense
Chiefs had the 30th run defense

Why don't you give me a link to the highlight video that shows every single play over 30 yards is from the wildcat?
I'd say maybe about 5-10% of big plays were from that

Oh and congrats!
You managed to show half of the teams we faced were in the top half of the league in rush D and half were in the bottom!

Even if we hadn't used the wildcat we would still most likely have 11 games won and the division.

People tend to forget that our D held the patriots to 13 points not the wildcat.

Yeah i remember. Cassel 2nd start since HS. Big whoop.

What happened the next game? In Miami? 48pts and 530yds in total offense. Thats just sick...sort of like the 2007 game in Miami with brady under center.

I think Sanchez will be better than Pennington, he has much more physical talent and has the intangibles Pennington has too.

And yes Pennington can win some games, he can get a team to the playoffs. But can he win a SB? No. Top defenses own him, look at his career you will see.

I disagree. Pennington has had some bad games against top defenses, but what QB has not? Poor QB play can not always be blamed on the QB. There are many other factors involved. How well did the line protect him? How well did the team rush the ball? Ect.....

To say Pennington can not play against a good defense is silly. He played well for you guys in the 2004 playoffs against the Chargers (which were ranked 11th in defense that year) going 23-33 for 279 yards and two touchdowns. If it was not for two missed game winning field goals (against the #1 ranked Pittsburgh defense) by your kicker, he would have led your team to the AFC championship game that year. He did that on a bum shoulder as well.

In 2006 he played well against the Patriots (who were ranked #2 on defense that year) I know they lost that game, but he still threw for 300 yards and a touchdown.

Can Pennington win a Superbowl? Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl. Ben Roethlisberger went 9 - 21 for 123 yards and 2 picks and won one. I beleive Pennington is better than the 1st two guys, and could play better in a Super Bowl than the 3rd, so I think he could. Like most other QBs, he would have to be surounded by the right team. Will he before he retires? I don't know.

What I do know is that I would rather have a proven QB like Pennington under center, than an unproven rookie like Sanchez. Will Sanchez be good? Maybe, maybe not. I would say the odds are against it. For every Manning there seems to be 3 or 4 Ryan Leafs. For evey Donavon McNabb, there are the Akili Smiths and the Tim Couches, David Carrs and Joey Harringtons. I could go on and on.

I am very happy that the Jets felt they were better off without Pennington. They gave us the best Qb we have had since Marino, and the 1st division title we have had since 2002. You can have the potential of Sanchez being great. But just like the Favre trade, there is a posibilty it won't work out. You guys have a lot invested in Sanchez, so there is a lot more riding on Sanchez than the Favre trade.

If Brady can perform like his old self the Patriots are easily the best team as of right now.

Um who voted the Bills as the best team?

Hey jets fans, how does it feel to have practically handed your division crown to your rival last year (ala Pennington) for a geezer who crapped out at the end of last year? Just curious.

The Wildcat will be back, and you guys will hate us again because you arent going to see the wrinkle coming at you this year. I can't wait to hear the excuse of how its a gimmick offense, when its just as much a part of our offense as our I Formation.

We won 11 games because we had the best coaching in the league last year. Sparano got robbed for the NFL Coach of the Year by half a vote. And yes Patsie fans, better than Belicheat. We had a stout D when we needed it. A QB who's knowledge and understanding of the game, led us to the least amount of turnovers in one season in NFL history. And last, and probably my favorite reason, thanks to our division opponents for choking on a big fat one at the end of the season as we proved that we deserved that crown more than the Patriots, Bills, and of course more than the Jets.

The Miami Dolphins are the team to beat in this division next year. And nobody, not even Tom Brady, can say otherwise until you can prove it on the field.

Hey jets fans, how does it feel to have practically handed your division crown to your rival last year (ala Pennington) for a geezer who crapped out at the end of last year? Just curious.

The Wildcat will be back, and you guys will hate us again because you arent going to see the wrinkle coming at you this year. I can't wait to hear the excuse of how its a gimmick offense, when its just as much a part of our offense as our I Formation.

We won 11 games because we had the best coaching in the league last year. Sparano got robbed for the NFL Coach of the Year by half a vote. And yes Patsie fans, better than Belicheat. We had a stout D when we needed it. A QB who's knowledge and understanding of the game, led us to the least amount of turnovers in one season in NFL history. And last, and probably my favorite reason, thanks to our division opponents for choking on a big fat one at the end of the season as we proved that we deserved that crown more than the Patriots, Bills, and of course more than the Jets.

The Miami Dolphins are the team to beat in this division next year. And nobody, not even Tom Brady, can say otherwise until you can prove it on the field.

Agreed 100%

:lol::lol2::lol2:

Agreed 100%

:lol2:

I like your optimism, but slow down with the homerism.

The Wildcat was a reason for our turnaround, but our base offense won us games. It's not like we used the Wildcat against teams in every play. It's a tricky offense to fool D and make them waste time to prepare for it, that's it. Don't think it's going to be unstoppable this year.

We did NOT have the best coaching in the NFL last year. However, we do have a excellent FO and I do agree that Sparano was screwed out of the ROOKIE HEAD COACH award, but not the regular head coach award. Tomlin was the best coach in the league last year in my opinion. His team had the hardest schedule in the league and they still won the SB.

No one but the Jets fell apart. The Bills were overrated in the beginning anyways, since they played easy teams. The Jets fell apart after Favre got injured and threw tons of interceptions. The Patriots dealt with tons of injuries, especially to their star QB, Tom Brady. The injury of Brady opened the division right up. However now that he is back, that dosen't mean the Pats are automatically the AFC EAST champions in 2009.

We won the AFC EAST in 2008 with a 11-5 record because....
1.) Easy Schedule
2.) Brady's Injury
3.) Lowest turnovers in NFL History
4.) Pennington
5.) Solid O, Solid D
6.) Wildcat
7.) Coaching
8.) Overachieving

The Patriots are the team to beat in the east, but Miami is still the champion until proven otherwise. Too much homerism, but it's nice to be proud for your team. Even if you hate Miami, you must respect our turnaround.

What about special teams? that is one third of the game?

anyhoo, we are missing alot here. turnovers are a huge part of the game. who cares if you get 400-500 ydfs in offense if you give the ball up and get scored upon?

You need to do more stuff like this. If we are talking about these other things, then you would see the Jets and yes, the dolphins come more into the picture.

If anyone thinks the Bills O is above ours with that Oline consisting of Langston Walker at LT and two rookies starting, although they could be good ones, is crazy. I dont even know who will start at RT for them. Kirk Chambers? Jon Scott? wooosh.

And our Dline is that bad? No way. Ferguson and Starks do quite well and Merling and Langford are young studs on the rise. I expect Holliday to come back to the fins as well. Buffalo has one thing going for them, and that is the TO/Evans combo. But TO has never proven to be the difference maker with any team.

What about special teams? that is one third of the game?

anyhoo, we are missing alot here. turnovers are a huge part of the game. who cares if you get 400-500 ydfs in offense if you give the ball up and get scored upon?

You need to do more stuff like this. If we are talking about these other things, then you would see the Jets and yes, the dolphins come more into the picture.

If anyone thinks the Bills O is above ours with that Oline consisting of Langston Walker at LT and two rookies starting, although they could be good ones, is crazy. I dont even know who will start at RT for them. Kirk Chambers? Jon Scott? wooosh.

And our Dline is that bad? No way. Ferguson and Starks do quite well and Merling and Langford are young studs on the rise. I expect Holliday to come back to the fins as well. Buffalo has one thing going for them, and that is the TO/Evans combo. But TO has never proven to be the difference maker with any team.

Nice post overall. I agree STs do get overlooked but Buffalo and the Jets have the best STs in the division.

I also agree on the Buf OL, I think that is the key to their season, they are solid just about everywher else. if they get solid OL play they will definitely be a playoff contender w/ the skill players they have on offense.

TO has been a difference maker everywhere he's been, he gets a bad reputation b/c he does some crazy things but SF hasn't made the postseason since he left. He brought an attitude w/ him to philly that they lacked before TO and have lacked since, he helped Dallas get the top seed in the NFC but it wasn't like Dallas was winning anything before he got there and he ruined them. They had made just one postseason this decade pre-TO and made it 2 of his 3 years.

Nice post overall. I agree STs do get overlooked but Buffalo and the Jets have the best STs in the division.

I also agree on the Buf OL, I think that is the key to their season, they are solid just about everywher else. if they get solid OL play they will definitely be a playoff contender w/ the skill players they have on offense.

TO has been a difference maker everywhere he's been, he gets a bad reputation b/c he does some crazy things but SF hasn't made the postseason since he left. He brought an attitude w/ him to philly that they lacked before TO and have lacked since, he helped Dallas get the top seed in the NFC but it wasn't like Dallas was winning anything before he got there and he ruined them. They had made just one postseason this decade pre-TO and made it 2 of his 3 years.

The Bills could have Larry Fitzgerald and Randy Moss starting and it still wouldn't matter because their offensive line is a joke. 2 unproven rookies, and some washed up players such a langston walker. If Trent Edwards has no time, the Bills will not win many games.

Back
Top Bottom