AFCE Coaches. | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFCE Coaches.

nyjunc said:
We have a backup that is better than your starter so i feel pretty good we'd still be ok even if Chad went down for a little while.

I wouldnt go that far :lol:

It was a toss-up last year...both were awful

TerryTate said:

yeah but at least surrounded by talent(like Fiedler will be) he has proven he can guide teams to the playoffs.

TerryTate said:

I think that both of them were awful due to the fact that your O-line was horrible. Under a good o-line, then either of them would have done ok.

Justasportsfan said:
Elite teams do not fold the bigger the games get.

I beg to differ..... refer to Buffalo Bills 1990 - 1993.....

Or maybe they weren't an elite team after all? Lets see you squirm you way out of this one....

What does this say about Dolphin and/or Jets fans?

Philter25 said:
NYJ ( under Edwards - 39W) = .609
2001: 10-6
2002: 9-7
2003: 10-6
2004: 10-6

MIA ( under Wanny - 41W) = .641
2000: 11-5
2001: 11-5
2002: 9-7
2003: 10-6

Jet fans like Edwards, Dolphin fans hated Wanny......

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Originally Posted by Justasportsfan
Elite teams do not fold the bigger the games get

I beg to differ..... refer to Buffalo Bills 1990 - 1993.....

Or maybe they weren't an elite team after all? Lets see you squirm you way out of this one....

How much bigger could they get?? would you like something to drink or are you goin to eat your words raw:roflmao: :roflmao: ....FinFan you just made my day ...Copy.. paste..save :D

FinfanInBuffalo said:
What does this say about Dolphin and/or Jets fans?

Jet fans like Edwards, Dolphin fans hated Wanny......

First off Herm is not as beloved as you might think, I am a big fan and think he's done a very good job but that is not what alot of Jet fans think, Secondly, the Jets have made 3 PO appearances in Herm's 4 years while Miami made 2 in Wanny's 4 1/2 years and the Jets are a team that has been on the rise while the past few years Miami was on the decline. That is the reason Herm is viewed positively and Wannstedt negatively. Also, dolphin fans like to think all their problems were coaching related. They think they had this incredibly talented team that should have won a SB when in reality they have had good, not great, talent and the coaching was not ther only reason they were horrible last year.

nyjunc said:
First off Herm is not as beloved as you might think, I am a big fan and think he's done a very good job but that is not what alot of Jet fans think, Secondly, the Jets have made 3 PO appearances in Herm's 4 years while Miami made 2 in Wanny's 4 1/2 years and the Jets are a team that has been on the rise while the past few years Miami was on the decline. That is the reason Herm is viewed positively and Wannstedt negatively. Also, dolphin fans like to think all their problems were coaching related. They think they had this incredibly talented team that should have won a SB when in reality they have had good, not great, talent and the coaching was not ther only reason they were horrible last year.

The playoff misses in 2002 & 2003 were by tie breakers. In fact, they were tied with the Jets and the Pats in 2002. In 2003 they were the first team in a decade to miss the playoffs at 10-6. The sad part is that the Fin's record in 2003 equalled the best record that the Jets have had in the Edwards era. It was equal to or better than any year the Jets have had in their history except three (1998, 1985, and 1968).

Take a look at Herm's first three years in NY:

2001 - 10-6
2002 - 9-7
2003 - 6-10

Dolphins fans would have been rioting in the streets.....

I agree with your assessment that many Dolphin fans overestimated the team's talent in 2000 - 2004. 2002 was their best chance and that chance was ruined due to an injury to the only other person that gets blamed as much as Wanny - Jay Fiedler.

None of this is meant as a knock against the Jets. I just don't think many Dolphin fans realize how difficult it is to win in the NFL.

nyjunc said:

I just noticed that the post by Philter25 had a mistake in the Jets record in 2003. It should have been 6-10 not 10-6.

The playoff misses in 2002 & 2003 were by tie breakers.

So they don't count? They didn't win the games they had to win to make the playoffs.

The sad part is that the Fin's record in 2003 equalled the best record that the Jets have had in the Edwards era.

That's great but our '02 and '04 teams were both better than the '03 Miami team. Last I checked you guys haven't even been to the postseason since 2001(good for you b/c of all the embarrassing defeats you were getting handed to you annually).

Take a look at Herm's first three years in NY:

2001 - 10-6
2002 - 9-7
2003 - 6-10

Dolphins fans would have been rioting in the streets.....
:

So let me get this straight, the dolphin fans who haven't seen the postseason since 2001 and were 4-12 last year would be upset w/ those 3 years 2 of which we made the playoffs and once a division Champion?

In 2003 they were the first team in a decade to miss the playoffs at 10-6. The sad part is that the Fin's record in 2003 equalled the best record that the Jets have had in the Edwards era. It was equal to or better than any year the Jets have had in their history except three (1998, 1985, and 1968).

Not really b/c you didn't even make the playoffs. By the way in '68 we went 11-3 and then won the Super Bowl- was your non-playoff 10-6 season betetr than that? In '69 we were 10-4 and made the playoffs, in '85 we were 11-5 and made the playoffs, in '86 we were 10-6 and lost in 2 OTs in the div rd, in '98 we went 12-4, in '01 and '04 we went 10-6. Those were all playoff seasons and all better than going 10-6 and missing the playoffs.

Are you trying to tell me the Jets haven't been very god most of our existence? Tell me something I don't know but what I do know is we've been as good or better(in most years better) than Miami for almost a decade now.

nyjunc said:
That's great but our '02 and '04 teams were both better than the '03 Miami team.

?????

2003: Miami - 10-6

2002: Jets - 9-7
2003: Jets - 10-6

nyjunc said:
Last I checked you guys haven't even been to the postseason since 2001(good for you b/c of all the embarrassing defeats you were getting handed to you annually).

Like I tell the Bills fans, it is arbitrary to draw the line at making the playoffs but not winning it all. You cannot discount a solid 10-6 season just because they didn't make the playoffs.

nyjunc said:
So let me get this straight, the dolphin fans who haven't seen the postseason since 2001 and were 4-12 last year would be upset w/ those 3 years 2 of which we made the playoffs and once a division Champion?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

The same Dolphin fans were calling for Wanny's head after 2003. That was after 2 trips to the playoffs out of three and a division crown and no losing records. BTW, this was my point in this whole post. You seemed to have missed that.

nyjunc said:
Not really b/c you didn't even make the playoffs. By the way in '68 we went 11-3 and then won the Super Bowl- was your non-playoff 10-6 season betetr than that?

Did you miss the fact that I pointed out that 1968 was one of the years where the Jets exceeded the 10-6 record?

nyjunc said:
In '69 we were 10-4 and made the playoffs, in '85 we were 11-5 and made the playoffs, in '86 we were 10-6 and lost in 2 OTs in the div rd, in '98 we went 12-4, in '01 and '04 we went 10-6. Those were all playoff seasons and all better than going 10-6 and missing the playoffs.

10-6 is 10-6..... In fact, if a team goes 10-6 and doesn't make the playoffs, the competion must have been tougher that year and that makes the 10-6 record even more impressive.

nyjunc said:
Are you trying to tell me the Jets haven't been very god most of our existence? Tell me something I don't know but what I do know is we've been as good or better(in most years better) than Miami for almost a decade now.

Year Fins Jets
2004 4-12-0 10-6-0
2003 10-6-0 6-10-0
2002 9-7-0 9-7-0
2001 11-5-0 10-6-0
2000 11-5-0 9-7-0
1999 9-7-0 8-8-0
1998 10-6-0 12-4-0
1997 9-7-0 9-7-0
1996 8-8-0 1-15-0
1995 9-7-0 3-13-0

By my math, the Fins have had the better record 6 times in the last 10, the Jets had the better record twice, and twice they were tied.

?????

2003: Miami - 10-6

2002: Jets - 9-7
2003: Jets - 10-6

Record alone doesn't make a team better, our 9-7 team in '[02 was only 9-7 b/c of early injuries. This team was the LAST team to go into Foxboro and win a game and that was on a Sun Night w/ the division on the line for the Pats and we beatq them up. Then we mauled 12-3 GB playing for homefiled and Indy in the playoffs before losing a tough game at Oak(I know it was a 30-10 score but it got away late, it wasn't like a 62-7 game or anything like that).

Like I tell the Bills fans, it is arbitrary to draw the line at making the playoffs but not winning it all. You cannot discount a solid 10-6 season just because they didn't make the playoffs.

Miami was eliminated w/ 2 weeks left, had they still been in it who knows of they win 1 or both of those last 2 games. When they were alive they blew it and by the way they barely squeaked by a 6-10 Jets team at home in the final game(thanks in large part to a blown 2 pt conversion call and a horrible offensive PI call).

!YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

The same Dolphin fans were calling for Wanny's head after 2003. That was after 2 trips to the playoffs out of three and a division crown and no losing records. BTW, this was my point in this whole post. You seemed to have missed that.

That's b/c you MISSED the playoffs in '03 and '02 and from '97-'01 you were embarrassed in the playoffs every year.

Did you miss the fact that I pointed out that 1968 was one of the years where the Jets exceeded the 10-6 record?

Well you missed '69 when we were 10-4.

10-6 is 10-6..... In fact, if a team goes 10-6 and doesn't make the playoffs, the competion must have been tougher that year and that makes the 10-6 record even more impressive.

Not necessarily, the fact you were 10-6 was due in large part to the AFC East having 2 bad teams(something it hadn't had in years). The Jets in '02 that went 9-7 was more impressive than the dolphins 10-6, in '02 all 4 teams were w/in a game of each other while in '03 the Pats ran away w/ it and the Jets and Bills were bad.

By my math, the Fins have had the better record 6 times in the last 10, the Jets had the better record twice, and twice they were tied.

I said almost a decade, since Parcells came here in '97

-'97, it was close but since the Phins swept the Jets the Phins get the egde. MIA

-'98, the Jets were by far better. NYJ

-'99, I give the edge to the Jets. We battled through a ton of injuries to come back and pull w/in a game of Miami and we swept them. NYJ

-'00, Jets sweep again but Mia wins division. MIA

-'01, teams were even but Jets swept yet again so edge Jets. NYJ

-'02, same record, split games but Jets win division. NYJ

-'03, Miami was better, MIA

-'04, huge edge Jets. NYJ

NYJ-5 MIA- 3

nyjunc said:
Record alone doesn't make a team better, our 9-7 team in '[02 was only 9-7 b/c of early injuries. This team was the LAST team to go into Foxboro and win a game and that was on a Sun Night w/ the division on the line for the Pats and we beatq them up. Then we mauled 12-3 GB playing for homefiled and Indy in the playoffs before losing a tough game at Oak(I know it was a 30-10 score but it got away late, it wasn't like a 62-7 game or anything like that).

Miami was eliminated w/ 2 weeks left, had they still been in it who knows of they win 1 or both of those last 2 games. When they were alive they blew it and by the way they barely squeaked by a 6-10 Jets team at home in the final game(thanks in large part to a blown 2 pt conversion call and a horrible offensive PI call).

That's b/c you MISSED the playoffs in '03 and '02 and from '97-'01 you were embarrassed in the playoffs every year.

Well you missed '69 when we were 10-4.

Not necessarily, the fact you were 10-6 was due in large part to the AFC East having 2 bad teams(something it hadn't had in years). The Jets in '02 that went 9-7 was more impressive than the dolphins 10-6, in '02 all 4 teams were w/in a game of each other while in '03 the Pats ran away w/ it and the Jets and Bills were bad.

I said almost a decade, since Parcells came here in '97

-'97, it was close but since the Phins swept the Jets the Phins get the egde. MIA

-'98, the Jets were by far better. NYJ

-'99, I give the edge to the Jets. We battled through a ton of injuries to come back and pull w/in a game of Miami and we swept them. NYJ

-'00, Jets sweep again but Mia wins division. MIA

-'01, teams were even but Jets swept yet again so edge Jets. NYJ

-'02, same record, split games but Jets win division. NYJ

-'03, Miami was better, MIA

-'04, huge edge Jets. NYJ

NYJ-5 MIA- 3

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Your team in '02 was only 9-7 because of injuries. Didn't the Fins lose their starting QB and both starting WRs in the same game?

Your qualifying blowout losses in the playoffs? 30-10 is a blowout....

You are taking wins away from the Fins because they were out of the playoff race? You can't be serious.

You "give" 1999 to the Jets???? Come on, give me a break.
In 2001, the Fins had the better record but you give the nod to the Jets? :shakeno: You're killing me.... You give the nod to the Jets twice when the Fins had a better record? Reverse those two and you get:

MIA-5, NYJ-3..... Nice try.

Your team in '02 was only 9-7 because of injuries. Didn't the Fins lose their starting QB and both starting WRs in the same game?

Miami would have been 2-3 games better as well but we stil would have won the division. Our team was decimated early on which was the main reason we started 1-4, 2-5.

Your qualifying blowout losses in the playoffs? 30-10 is a blowout....

It was 10-10 near the edn of the 3rd, it got away late. This wasn't a down 24-0 at the end of the 1st qtr like Miami against jax. We were in the game, it was a tough, hard fought game.

You are taking wins away from the Fins because they were out of the playoff race? You can't be serious.

We know how they perfrom under pressure and if they weree still in it the pressure would have been high, they might have won but I'd bet on a choke.

You "give" 1999 to the Jets???? Come on, give me a break.

We finished 1 game behind, we swept you and you needed us to beat Seattle in Wk 17 to get in then you got in and were thrashed by Jax. We were definitely better in '99.

In 2001, the Fins had the better record but you give the nod to the Jets? You're killing me.... You give the nod to the Jets twice when the Fins had a better record? Reverse those two and you get:

They were better records by a game and we SWEPT you in both years plus in '01 you git tharshed at home by Bal in the playoffs while we played a tough game AT Oak.

MIA-5, NYJ-3..... Nice try.

It's the other way around.

By the way in that same span the Jets are 11-5 against Miami and 11-3 in the last 14.

nyjunc said:
We finished 1 game behind, we swept you and you needed us to beat Seattle in Wk 17 to get in then you got in and were thrashed by Jax. We were definitely better in '99.

They were better records by a game and we SWEPT you in both years plus in '01 you git tharshed at home by Bal in the playoffs while we played a tough game AT Oak.

It's the other way around.

The Jets did have the Fins number for a few years, but I think the NFL would disagree that the Jets were better that the Fins in 1999 and 2001. Unfortunately, ALL the games count, not just the ones you win.

Back
Top Bottom