AFCE Coaches. | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFCE Coaches.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
The Jets did have the Fins number for a few years, but I think the NFL would disagree that the Jets were better that the Fins in 1999 and 2001. Unfortunately, ALL the games count, not just the ones you win.

I don't think so, in '99 we were one of the hottest teams in the league late in the year and a 1 game difference doesn't make Miami better. In '01 it was once again a one game difference and we once again ended our season w/ more dignity than Miami. At worst you could call those seasons even.

nyjunc said:
I don't think so, in '99 we were one of the hottest teams in the league late in the year and a 1 game difference doesn't make Miami better. In '01 it was once again a one game difference and we once again ended our season w/ more dignity than Miami. At worst you could call those seasons even.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I guess I'll have to review the NFL rules for determining the standings. I know I'll be pissed when the Fins finish ahead of the Jets, but the Jets get awarded the playoff spot because they were "hotter at the end of the year" or finished the regular season with "more dignity". :shakeno:

FinfanInBuffalo said:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I guess I'll have to review the NFL rules for determining the standings. I know I'll be pissed when the Fins finish ahead of the Jets, but the Jets get awarded the playoff spot because they were "hotter at the end of the year" or finished the regular season with "more dignity". :shakeno:

Sometimes the better team does not make the playoffs, it was only a game difference and we swept you both years and you were thrashed in your final game while we played tough. Back in 1991 the Niners and Eagles were both 10-6 and missed the playoffs, I guess the 8-8 Jets who did make the playoffs were better than them :shakeno: Last year, do you think teams like Buf and Bal were worse than SL and Minny?

nyjunc said:
Sometimes the better team does not make the playoffs, it was only a game difference and we swept you both years and you were thrashed in your final game while we played tough. Back in 1991 the Niners and Eagles were both 10-6 and missed the playoffs, I guess the 8-8 Jets who did make the playoffs were better than them :shakeno: Last year, do you think teams like Buf and Bal were worse than SL and Minny?

Like I said, ALL of the games count. When determing DIVISION STANDINGS and WILDCARD seedings, it is customary for the team with the better record to "get the nod".....

In 2002 the Fins were clearly the best team in the AFC before the injury bug hit. I don't recall the NFL giving them any special consideration....

Lets get back to the subject every1, IMO BB might have a tough time handlingThe Pats offense since he is a defensive minded coach. He doesn't have experience handling the offense. He will probably take a conservative approach in calling plays, some defensive minded HCs have been conserative with offense in the past, and I wouldn't be surprised If Billichick takes a conservative approach.

In 2002 the Fins were clearly the best team in the AFC before the injury bug hit. I don't recall the NFL giving them any special consideration....

We don;'t know that, how many years did the dolphins start out great only to fade down the stretch? They might have had the best record at the time but the swoon was soming regardless. The way they were constructed they could noy compete in big games. That core of players just always folded when the games got bigger down the stretch.

nyjunc said:
We don;'t know that, how many years did the dolphins start out great only to fade down the stretch?

Slightly less often than the Jets start the year with a slump. You sound proud that the Jets enter so many Decembers with nothing at stake other than the opportunity to screw up another early draft pick.

1983 Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino
1985 Al Toon over Jerry Rice
1990 Blair Thomas over Emmitt Smith

The Jets passed on the alltime leaders in passing yards, passing TD, receiving yards, receving TDs, rushing yards, and rushing TDs AND SELECTED BUSTS AT THE SAME POSITION!!!!!!!!!

:roflmao: :roflmao:

nyjunc said:
They might have had the best record at the time but the swoon was soming regardless. The way they were constructed they could noy compete in big games. That core of players just always folded when the games got bigger down the stretch.

:shakeno:

All this nonsense from a Jets fan... Your beloved Jets started 6-1 last yeat and then went 4-5, including 1-3 to close the regular season. Over the last two years, the Jets are 2-6 in the last 4 weeks of the regular season. Hello kettle, your black...

The Jets have a glorious tradition of losing. Their fans need to keep the smack to themselves. How ridiculous and sad at the same time.

Slightly less often than the Jets start the year with a slump. You sound proud that the Jets enter so many Decembers with nothing at stake other than the opportunity to screw up another early draft pick.

It's been a long time since we were consistently bad, the only bad year we've had since '97 was in '03 when cap issues forced us to lose some guys and then we lost our QN for half the year.

You act like this is the 70s and the dolphins are still a premiere team.

1983 Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino
1985 Al Toon over Jerry Rice
1990 Blair Thomas over Emmitt Smith

Toon was on his way to the HOF before his career was cut short(obviously you aren't very knowledgable if you think Toon was a bust) and Jimmy Johnson said he would have taken Blair Thomas over Emmitt if he had the choice. Sometimes high draft picks don't work out like:

'95 Biller Milner
'97 Yatil Green
'98 John Avery
'99 JJ Johnson
'00 Todd Wade
'01 Jamar Fletcher

I'll cut you some slack on the last few choices and give them some time to develop.

All this nonsense from a Jets fan... Your beloved Jets started 6-1 last yeat and then went 4-5, including 1-3 to close the regular season.

We were far enough behind NE but we had things basically wrapped up and we were missing our QB then he played hurt and we were also missing our best defensive player. It wasn't like the annual Miami swoons where they blow the division, the former annual Miami swoons. They haven't been close to a div title in a few years.

Over the last two years, the Jets are 2-6 in the last 4 weeks of the regular season. Hello kettle, your black...

2 years ago we were 6-10, those #s are irrelevant. In important games we have done well unlike Miami who always loses important games.

The Jets have a glorious tradition of losing.

We used to but that's long in the past. All I know is w/ our history of losing we have the series lead over the "great" Miami Dolphins and we have just ONE less SB. The problem is Miami fans like to think they are in the class of teams like Dallas, SF and Pitt when they are far from it. The bottom line is I wasn't alive for any of the Jets or dolphin SB wins.

Oh and we are 11-3 against you in the last 14 games and we have at least been to a Championship Game in the last decade and we have more div titles than you in the last decade and we have been in the postseason 3 of the past 4 years while Miami hasn't reached the postseason(for their old annual spanking) since 2001. Stop living in the 70s and join us today.

nyjunc said:
Toon was on his way to the HOF before his career was cut short(obviously you aren't very knowledgable if you think Toon was a bust) and Jimmy Johnson said he would have taken Blair Thomas over Emmitt if he had the choice.

Al Toon HOF? :roflmao:

This can ONLY be said about the Jets:
The Jets passed on the alltime leaders in passing yards, passing TD, receiving yards, receving TDs, rushing yards, and rushing TDs AND SELECTED BUSTS AT THE SAME POSITION!!!!!!!!!

Everything else about the draft history pales in comparison!

nyjunc said:
We were far enough behind NE but we had things basically wrapped up and we were missing our QB then he played hurt and we were also missing our best defensive player. It wasn't like the annual Miami swoons where they blow the division, the former annual Miami swoons.

Do they give courses in excuse making to Jets fans?

nyjunc said:
2 years ago we were 6-10, those #s are irrelevant. In important games we have done well unlike Miami who always loses important games.

You are great at rationalization. When discussing Miami's victories near the end of 2003, you claimed they didn't matter because things were already decided.

Um, how did your season end last year? WITH A LOSS

nyjunc said:
We used to but that's long in the past.

Dude, they have 4 seasons at .500 or below in the last decade, Including one just 2 years ago. You have a serious case of selective memory.

nyjunc said:
All I know is w/ our history of losing we have the series lead over the "great" Miami Dolphins and we have just ONE less SB.

Answer this - how many losing seasons have the Jets made their fans suffer through? There has not been a single decade in the club's history where they have had more winning seasons than losing seasons. That trend tells me that you have 4 - 5 losing seasons coming the rest of this decade.

nyjunc said:
The problem is Miami fans like to think they are in the class of teams like Dallas, SF and Pitt when they are far from it.

No, the problem is that the Jets fans like to pretend that they are not like the Cardinals and the Bengals.

nyjunc said:
The bottom line is I wasn't alive for any of the Jets or dolphin SB wins.

Well that explains the ignorance. Until the Jets win another, they will just be a pathetic franchise.

nyjunc said:
Oh and we are 11-3 against you in the last 14 games and we have at least been to a Championship Game in the last decade and we have more div titles than you in the last decade and we have been in the postseason 3 of the past 4 years while Miami hasn't reached the postseason(for their old annual spanking) since 2001. .

You also have more last place finishes in the last decade.

Last 5 Years:
Miami - 45-35, 2 playoffs (should have been 4)
Jets - 44-36, 3 playoffs

Last 10 years:
Miami - 90-70, 6 playoffs (should have been 8), 2 seasons at .500 or below
Jets - 77-83, 4 playoffs, 4 seasons at .500 or below

You really should do your research. The Jets had a better record that the Fins only twice in the last decade. Get a grip.

Al Toon HOF?

I said he was ON HIS WAY, he was one of the best WRS in the NFL for many years.

This can ONLY be said about the Jets:
The Jets passed on the alltime leaders in passing yards, passing TD, receiving yards, receving TDs, rushing yards, and rushing TDs AND SELECTED BUSTS AT THE SAME POSITION!!!!!!!!!:

They made mistakes that most teams make. Marino was a crackhead and nearly everyone passed him, Toon was a great WR and had his career cut short due to injury that wasn't the Jets fault and it wasn't the Jets fault that Blair Thomas was a bust. EVERY TEAM including the team that drafted Emmitt had Blair rated higher.

Do they give courses in excuse making to Jets fans?

The division was out of reach, it makes a HUGE difference. It bwasn't like choking away the playoffs in '03, the div in '02 and '01 like Miami has in recent years.

You are great at rationalization. When discussing Miami's victories near the end of 2003, you claimed they didn't matter because things were already decided.

Um, how did your season end last year? WITH A LOSS

Again it was irrelevant, had we won we still would have played next week in SD. Had we won the final 2 games we STILL would have played at SD the following week.

Dude, they have 4 seasons at .500 or below in the last decade, Including one just 2 years ago. You have a serious case of selective memory.

We have had ONE losing season since 1997.

No, the problem is that the Jets fans like to pretend that they are not like the Cardinals and the Bengals.

As of right now the dolphins are worse than both of those teams.

Well that explains the ignorance. Until the Jets win another, they will just be a pathetic franchise.

What will the dolphins be? You guys have just 2 more than us and it was 32 years ago.

Since 1998:

Head to Head: NYJ 11 Mia 3
div titles: NYJ 2 Mia 1
AFC Title Game Apperances: NYJ 1 Mia 0
Humiliating Playoff Losses: NYJ 0 Mia 6

Last Playoff appearance: NYJ 2004 Mia 2001
Last div title: NYJ 2002 Mia 2000
Last AFC Title Game: NYJ 1998 Mia 1992

nyjunc said:
Since 1998:
Humiliating Playoff Losses: NYJ 0 Mia 6

Since Mia has only been in the playoffs 4 times since 1998 (exactly the same number as the Jets), I'm not sure how this is possible. More NYJ fan math?

Rationalize all you want but these losses are nothing to be proud of:

30-10
38-24
23-10

Since 1998:
Playoff records: NYJ 3-4, Mia 3-4
Reg season records: NYJ 64-48, Mia 64-48

You might also want to compare the team histories from 1990 - 1997....then again, maybe you don't ....

You keep pitching and I'll keep knocking them out of the park.....

nyjunc said:
I said he was ON HIS WAY, he was one of the best WRS in the NFL for many years.

He had TWO seasons where he exceeded 1000 yds receiving. Pro bowl appearances - ZERO

Sure, on his way to the HOF with a ticket that he had to buy, like the rest of us.....

nyjunc said:
They made mistakes that most teams make. Marino was a crackhead and nearly everyone passed him, Toon was a great WR and had his career cut short due to injury that wasn't the Jets fault and it wasn't the Jets fault that Blair Thomas was a bust. EVERY TEAM including the team that drafted Emmitt had Blair rated higher.

You have no way of knowing who had Blair Thomas rated highly. All we know is the Jets picked an alltime bust.

Ken O'Brien over Marino? That is criminally stupid. Jets fans should get money back.

ONLY THE JETS MADE ALL THREE MISTAKES

Since Mia has only been in the playoffs 4 times since 1998 (exactly the same number as the Jets), I'm not sure how this is possible. More NYJ fan math?

-In 1998 in the AFC Championship Game we lost 23-10, it was not a humiliation. What was a humiliation was the week before when denver beat Miami 38-3.

-In 2001 we lost at Oakland 38-24, the game was cemented away until the final 2 minutes when Chrlie Garner broke a long run and put it out of reach. A humiliation would be like the year before wehn Miami lost at Oakland 27-0.

-in 2002 we lost 30-10 but it was a 10-10 game late in the 3rd, it was broken open midway through the 4th. It wasn't like it was 24-0 like Miami at Jax a few years earlier.

Those were not humiliating losses, humiliating losses are when you lose 5 playoff games by a combined score of 164-16. THAT'S Humiliating! When the games are over by the end of the 1st qtr or by the half- THAT'S Humiliating!

You might also want to compare the team histories from 1990 - 1997....then again, maybe you don't ....

You keep pitching and I'll keep knocking them out of the park.........

:roflmao: :roflmao: Yeah you are hitting them out of the park :roflmao: :roflmao: All you are doing is ignoring facts but I used to do that when we sucked too.

He had TWO seasons where he exceeded 1000 yds receiving. Pro bowl appearances - ZERO

If by ZERO you mean 3 then you are correct. He had concussions problems for a few years which slowed him down. The man was one of the best in the game before the concussions.

You have no way of knowing who had Blair Thomas rated highly. All we know is the Jets picked an alltime bust.

Jimmy Johnson himself said had he had a choice btw the 2 he would have picked Blair Thomas. That's the man who selected Emmitt.

Ken O'Brien over Marino? That is criminally stupid. Jets fans should get money back

Obviously that was dumb but Kenny had a few great years including leading the league in passing but it quickly faded. Obviously that was the huge mistake but almost every other team made the same mistake.

ONLY THE JETS MADE ALL THREE MISTAKES

Only 1 was a mistake at the time. We can look back at every draft and figure out who made mistakes after the fact. You guys think Ronnie Brown is going to be a HOFer well we though Blair Thomas would be great too and w/ the dolphins track record of 1st rd picks in the last decade I wouldn't get those Brown jerseys made up just yet.

nyjunc said:
-In 1998 in the AFC Championship Game we lost 23-10, it was not a humiliation. What was a humiliation was the week before when denver beat Miami 38-3.

-In 2001 we lost at Oakland 38-24, the game was cemented away until the final 2 minutes when Chrlie Garner broke a long run and put it out of reach. A humiliation would be like the year before wehn Miami lost at Oakland 27-0.

-in 2002 we lost 30-10 but it was a 10-10 game late in the 3rd, it was broken open midway through the 4th. It wasn't like it was 24-0 like Miami at Jax a few years earlier.

Those were not humiliating losses, humiliating losses are when you lose 5 playoff games by a combined score of 164-16. THAT'S Humiliating! When the games are over by the end of the 1st qtr or by the half- THAT'S Humiliating!

I'm glad your happy with your losses by 2 TDs. Jets fans really don't have any other choice.

nyjunc said:
Yeah you are hitting them out of the park All you are doing is ignoring facts but I used to do that when we sucked too.

Last time I checked, these were facts:

Since 1998:
Playoff records: NYJ 3-4, Mia 3-4
Reg season records: NYJ 64-48, Mia 64-48

You cannot get any closer than that.

So are these:

You also have more last place finishes in the last decade.

Last 5 Years:
Miami - 45-35, 2 playoffs (should have been 4)
Jets - 44-36, 3 playoffs

Last 10 years:
Miami - 90-70, 6 playoffs (should have been 8), 2 seasons at .500 or below
Jets - 77-83, 4 playoffs, 4 seasons at .500 or below

The Jets had a better record that the Fins only twice in the last decade.

The Dolphins have had one horrible year. I know its is commonplace for the Jets, but Dolphin fans aren't used to this.

nyjunc said:
If by ZERO you mean 3 then you are correct. He had concussions problems for a few years which slowed him down. The man was one of the best in the game before the concussions.

Give me a break. TWO 1000 yd season out of eight......The point is that they passed on JERRY RICE. How can you not call that a mistake? Al Toon was a good WR, but Jerry 'Friggin' Rice.

nyjunc said:
Jimmy Johnson himself said had he had a choice btw the 2 he would have picked Blair Thomas. That's the man who selected Emmitt.

Quote please.

nyjunc said:
Obviously that was dumb but Kenny had a few great years including leading the league in passing but it quickly faded. Obviously that was the huge mistake but almost every other team made the same mistake.

No. Only the Jets, Pats, and Chiefs. Elway and Kelly also turned out to be HOF QBs. Nobody else selected a QB ahead of Marino.

nyjunc said:
Only 1 was a mistake at the time. We can look back at every draft and figure out who made mistakes after the fact. You guys think Ronnie Brown is going to be a HOFer well we though Blair Thomas would be great too and w/ the dolphins track record of 1st rd picks in the last decade I wouldn't get those Brown jerseys made up just yet.

You cannot escape the fact that they passed on three of the greatest offensive players of all time for three lesser players at the same position. Don't you want to cry when you think that the Jets could have had Marino, Rice, and Smith? It boggles the mind.

Face it, with the exception of 2003 (in favor of the Fins) and 2004 (in favor of the Jets), the Jets and the Fins have been pretty even over the last 7 or 8 seasons. Since 1998, their records are identical. You want to focus on 4 or 5 individual games, but overall, the facts support my argument.

Back
Top Bottom