And the harsh reality is...Jay=Griese! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

And the harsh reality is...Jay=Griese!

Phinzone

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
We all know the Jay arguments, who's on who's side, why this why that, etc. But keep this in mind next time you argue for Jay to have another shot.

We can all agree that Brian Griese pretty much flopped as a dolphin right? Even when you factor in the fact that he got here way late being a June 1st cut, it was his first year in the system, and he was coming off an injury we still can all agree he was a monumental failure.

So was Jay.

In Brians first 5 games after replacing Jay he was 74 for 130, with 5 Td's and 10 Turnovers His QB rating was 69.2.

Jay in his first 5 full games back was 79 for 137 with 6 TD's and 10 turnovers. His QB rating for those 5 games was 77.34. He completedthe SAME amount of passes, the only difference being he ran one more in for a TD than Griese. He had 964 yards to Griese's 813.

And the difference is.....VERY tiny. How come some people can call Griese such a flop his first time playing for our team coming off an injury in his first season when he put up SLIGHTLY lower numbers than our 4 years starting "franchise" QB?

NO ONE will sit here and defend Griese, so why do a few people still insist on defending Jay? "those were his 4 worst games" Yeah they probably were. But thsoe were Griese's 5 worst games for us. "look in the past at what Jay has done". Ok, look in the past at what Griese has done....

Fact is, the two guys played nearly identical, yet a few still defend Jay....it's really really sad.....

oh...griese took a whole ONE more sack in his 5 games as well. Just htought I'd add that in before people start ranting about how Griese takes so many sacks.

Phinzone said:
NO ONE will sit here and defend Griese, so why do a few people still insist on defending Jay? "those were his 4 worst games" Yeah they probably were. But thsoe were Griese's 5 worst games for us. "look in the past at what Jay has done". Ok, look in the past at what Griese has done....

Fact is, the two guys played nearly identical, yet a few still defend Jay....it's really really sad.....
Yes it is.... :evil:

One thing that was obvious about Griese was his style of play did not compliment our style of offence. Griese's numbers as a bronco are uncomparable to fiedlers numbers as a dolphins b/c griese was playing behind a great oline were as jay wasn't. Griese is way to slow to play behind an oline that is/was as bad as ours, other than it was obvious that Griese wasn't the answer at qb thats why we got feeley, Fiedler makes a MUCH better mentor and backup qb(on this team) than Griese and that was basically what came down to it when we had to choose whitch one to keep.

Lazy1 said:
One thing that was obvious about Griese was his style of play did not compliment our style of offence. Griese's numbers as a bronco are uncomparable to fiedlers numbers as a dolphins b/c griese was playing behind a great oline were as jay wasn't. Griese is way to slow to play behind an oline that is/was as bad as ours, other than it was obvious that Griese wasn't the answer at qb thats why we got feeley, Fiedler makes a MUCH better mentor and backup qb(on this team) than Griese and that was basically what came down to it when we had to choose whitch one to keep.

Jays OLine was ONLY a problem last year.
It's amazing to me how all of a sudden Jay has never had an OLine.
In fact Jay has had some very good O-Lines. O-Lines that made Lamar Smith look like a pretty good RB. OL's that paved holes for RB's DESPITE defenses loading up on the line against the run. Bad OL's don't open holes against 8 man run fronts sorry! Last year is a given that the OL sucked. The past 3 years that was not an excuse.

Phinzone said:
We all know the Jay arguments, who's on who's side, why this why that, etc. But keep this in mind next time you argue for Jay to have another shot.

We can all agree that Brian Griese pretty much flopped as a dolphin right? Even when you factor in the fact that he got here way late being a June 1st cut, it was his first year in the system, and he was coming off an injury we still can all agree he was a monumental failure.

So was Jay.

In Brians first 5 games after replacing Jay he was 74 for 130, with 5 Td's and 10 Turnovers His QB rating was 69.2.

Jay in his first 5 full games back was 79 for 137 with 6 TD's and 10 turnovers. His QB rating for those 5 games was 77.34. He completedthe SAME amount of passes, the only difference being he ran one more in for a TD than Griese. He had 964 yards to Griese's 813.

And the difference is.....VERY tiny. How come some people can call Griese such a flop his first time playing for our team coming off an injury in his first season when he put up SLIGHTLY lower numbers than our 4 years starting "franchise" QB?

Thank you! You are the man. :D

I think people and fans in general are more affected by their wins and losses. I believe Griese went 2/3 and wasn't Fiedler more like 4/1. Wins erase a lot of bad stats. If we had some how won all the games Griese QBed there would probably be a different feeling aboutt him.

Phinguy said:
I think people and fans in general are more affected by their wins and losses. I believe Griese went 2/3 and wasn't Fiedler more like 4/1. Wins erase a lot of bad stats. If we had some how won all the games Griese QBed there would probably be a different feeling aboutt him.

actually Brian went 3/2 and they have the exact same record in those 5 games each.

Oline has been a problem for the dolphins for a while now u can argue that rushers emassed 1,000 yds. rushing, but run blocking and pass blocking is entirely different. The only reason we kept fiedler was as a short term qb who can mentor a young qb. Griese nor Fiedler are the answer at qb for us, hense the name feeley. Fiedler is the better leader and knows the team better, and in this particular situation fiedler was easily the better option.

Trekbiz said:
In fact Jay has had some very good O-Lines. O-Lines that made Lamar Smith look like a pretty good RB. OL's that paved holes for RB's DESPITE defenses loading up on the line against the run. Bad OL's don't open holes against 8 man run fronts sorry! Last year is a given that the OL sucked. The past 3 years that was not an excuse.

Did you know that Jay Fiedler was in the top 5 in YPC when Smith had his breakout season?Jay through out first half of the year lead the league in YPC.

minus said:
Did you know that Jay Fiedler was in the top 5 in YPC when Smith had his breakout season?Jay through out first half of the year lead the league in YPC.

Wow I did'nt know that Jay played WR.

Trekbiz said:
Wow I did'nt know that Jay played WR.

I meant YPA.You know what I meant. :shakeno:

The only difference I would say is that Jay was an unknown quantity who improved in certain areas (sacks being a major one). Griese in his career got steadily worse. In Miami all Griese did was continue his poor play. I think the assumption was that he wouldn't get any better and that with a questionable OL it wasn't worth it. I wouldn't have minded sticking with Griese if we seriously improved our OL, but to compare him to Jay in this offense? The sacks are a major issue and there is no reason to believe that will ever change.

Trekbiz said:

Uh no. There's a monumental difference between a run blocking O-line, a pass blocking O-line, and one that excels at both. I'll agree on two occasions we had great run blocking lines, but the pass blocking was pathetic.....and it's no wonder. Fiedler helped keep the sack count down to respectable levels strictly because of his feet and athleticism in moving around the pocket............the negative side of that was errant passes made on the run.

Back
Top Bottom