Anthony Fasano's role could be decreasing in Miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anthony Fasano's role could be decreasing in Miami

I think Fasano is more athletic than we give him credit for.

I highly doubt we are trying to replace Fasano yet. Green Bay has used sets with up to 4 TEs so we needed a few more.

With fasano being the only hand in the dirt athletic reciever we have im pretty sure he'll stick, see egnew more as just standing up in slot at TE......think they used to be called BIG wide recievers......but now they are just glorified TE;s and clay prob being more of a maybe hand in dirt then motion type. A TE stand up in slot is an automatic cover for a S or OLB, a TE that can release with hand in dirt or run a delay can cause the OLB that would be keepign an eye on him to lose focus. i THINK fasano will be in the mid 50's reception range with prob easily 40 of those catches coming from hand in dirt. I'd love to see egnew turn into a seem threat (i see clay as more of a up and out type guy) but i doubt they waste fasanos talents then let him take his good season into free agency

With fasano being the only hand in the dirt athletic reciever we have im pretty sure he'll stick, see egnew more as just standing up in slot at TE......think they used to be called BIG wide recievers......but now they are just glorified TE;s and clay prob being more of a maybe hand in dirt then motion type. A TE stand up in slot is an automatic cover for a S or OLB, a TE that can release with hand in dirt or run a delay can cause the OLB that would be keepign an eye on him to lose focus. i THINK fasano will be in the mid 50's reception range with prob easily 40 of those catches coming from hand in dirt. I'd love to see egnew turn into a seem threat (i see clay as more of a up and out type guy) but i doubt they waste fasanos talents then let him take his good season into free agency

You're the first guy I've seen describe Clay as an up and out guy and I have to say I absolutely agree. I also see a lot of deep outs in his future simply because he can get to that second level behind LBs so fast, and if you keep him away from the safeties, very few LBs will have a chance to keep up with his agility/speed.

Here's a video from 2011 illustrating why I think Anthony Fasano's footprint on the deep middle passing game should actually INCREASE in 2011...rather than decrease, as put forward by Brian Biggane.

[video=youtube;NaSwzX9YMWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaSwzX9YMWg[/video]

Fact of the matter is, after Chad Pennington left the field, and until Matt Moore came back, we did not have a quarterback that could reliably place those up-and-down throws down the seam in the middle of the field. Henne threw a few nice ones before getting injured, but he also struggled on some of them this year, and those passes were practically non-existent from 2009 to 2010. You can blame Dan Henning, and that would be an accurate assessment of blame, but not a complete assessment. Henning was only reacting to the strengths and weaknesses of his quarterback. He called for plenty of those seam passes to Fasano and David Martin in 2008 (just as many to Fasano as Martin, mind you)...but avoided them like PLAGUE from 2009 to 2010.

sorry, but all talk is pretty much irrelevant after CK posted this video. The guy gets open in the seam and makes great catches. Dont you remember his beauty against the jets for the division title in 08? dont you remember his year in 08? this guy is one of our most solid players. he has been a true dolphin who has made an impact for our team for the last 4 years. i dont get why a lot of people sleep on him, but again, most of the people seem to be the ones that just dont follow the offseason as closely, b/c they keep citing egnew as the reason, and egnew is clearly not there yet.

Fasano falls into the matt moore catergory. The same brainless, homer powered fans love this guy just like they love matt moore when neither player has NFL level talent. He's not the great blocker you make him out to be just because he's slow and he certainly isn't sure handed. The reason his numbers have been abysmal was because he's not that good. I'd rather see optimism over Clay and Egnew from homer fans than love for this bum.

Fasano falls into the matt moore catergory. The same brainless, homer powered fans love this guy just like they love matt moore when neither player has NFL level talent. He's not the great blocker you make him out to be just because he's slow and he certainly isn't sure handed. The reason his numbers have been abysmal was because he's not that good. I'd rather see optimism over Clay and Egnew from homer fans than love for this bum.

2a5c1md-1.jpg

BTW, a 3 minute highlight tape doesn't change my mind especially when those highlights are repeated over and over. There were maybe 2-3 plays that actually show cased good hands. 7 or so seconds in against NE, pretty awesome play. 32 seconds in against NE, pretty insane throw from hene and a real nice catch and then the one catch down the seem against the raiders was a solid play too. (3:17) I'll add the play against the skins with the nice little move he put on the Lber but that was pretty bad coverage too. Everything else looks like a blown coverage or the other team playing cover 2 and he's wide open for a routine catch. Put a more athletic player in that spot and you're talking real big plays instead of 10-15 yrds.

Second look through, the skins game he had more solid catches too. not gonna list them all.

If anything the video show cases how inaccurate moore was when he was wide open and the long TD against KC shows either fasanos lack of speed or moores poor arm. The long TD in the KC game should have had more air under it and fasno should have had even more seperation to begin with since the LBER blew his assignment so badly.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Nope, pretty glad Henne is gone too despite with some enourmous coaching he has way more potential than matt moore. Nice try though.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

that picture is hilarious btw. lol

BTW, a 3 minute highlight tape doesn't change my mind especially when those highlights are repeated over and over. There were maybe 2-3 plays that actually show cased good hands. 7 or so seconds in against NE, pretty awesome play. 32 seconds in against NE, pretty insane throw from hene and a real nice catch and then the one catch down the seem against the raiders was a solid play too. (3:17) I'll add the play against the skins with the nice little move he put on the Lber but that was pretty bad coverage too. Everything else looks like a blown coverage or the other team playing cover 2 and he's wide open for a routine catch. Put a more athletic player in that spot and you're talking real big plays instead of 10-15 yrds.

Second look through, the skins game he had more solid catches too. not gonna list them all.

If anything the video show cases how inaccurate moore was when he was wide open and the long TD against KC shows either fasanos lack of speed or moores poor arm. The long TD in the KC game should have had more air under it and fasno should have had even more seperation to begin with since the LBER blew his assignment so badly.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Nope, pretty glad Henne is gone too despite with some enourmous coaching he has way more potential than matt moore. Nice try though.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

thanks.. and it has been my observation that the majority of blowback against Moore is the result of residual Henne fluffing.
...we may agree about Henne's relative potential - at least below the neck, but certainly not above.

A word to the wise, as a recently joined member you may not be aware that while you're certainly entitled to your opinion, regularly labelling, tarring and slandering those who don't agree in the most insulting, unflattering, undiplomatic terms doesn't really resonate around here with members or staff. :dontknow:

How does your point work if his numbers haven't been abysmal?

thanks.. and it has been my observation that the majority of blowback against Moore is the result of residual Henne fluffing.
...we may agree about Henne's relative potential - at least below the neck, but certainly not above.

A word to the wise, as a recently joined member you may not be aware that while you're certainly entitled to your opinion, regularly labelling, tarring and slandering those who don't agree in the most insulting, unflattering, undiplomatic terms doesn't really resonate around here with members or staff. :dontknow:

He was pretty average in college but you could attribute that to their decline in their overall program. He was a poor mans drew bledsoe and im sure thats what tuna saw in him. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned it around with a better situation because his growth was stunted here with the wildcat and real bad coaches/**** organaization.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

30 something catches for 400 yards? pretty abysmal.

Fasano gets no love because he is a true TE. Nothing flashy but he does a lot of stuff well, he catches the ball most every time it is thrown his way, he produces first downs, catches a decent amount of TD passes and I will argue with anyone who says he cannot block.

He is never going to be a 1000 yard TE but he produces positive play almost everythime he touches the ball and I'll take that anytime.

a Quick look at fasano and his percentage of the offense as it pertains to yardage. and then a quick look at the preseason top 20 (including hernandez who for some reason wasn't on the list)

Bush – 296 %= 9
Thomas – 72
Hillard - 49
Bess – 537 = % 16
Marshall – 1214 = %35
Hartline – 549 = %16
Gates -19
Fasano – 451 = %13
Clay - 233 = %7
Masturd -8
Slaton – 3
Total 3425
Other noteable TE’s (2011 preseason top 20)

1. Antonio Gates – San Diego Chargers = %17
  2. Dallas Clark – Indianapolis Colts = %9
  3. Jason Witten – Dallas Cowboys = %21
  4. Jermichael Finley – Green Bay Packers = %15
  5. Vernon Davis – San Francisco 49ers = % 25
  6. Owen Daniels – Houston Texans = % 18 (team leader)
  7. Chris Cooley – Washington Redskins = % 2
  8. Zach Miller – Seattle Seahawks = % 7
  9. Tony Gonzalez – Atlanta Falcons = % 20
  10. Kellen Winslow – Tampa Bay Buccaneers = % 20
  11. Jimmy Graham – New Orleans Saints = % 24
  12. Brandon Pettigrew – Detroit Lions = % 15
  13. Jermaine Gresham – Cincinnati Bengals = % 17
  14. Dustin Keller – New York Jets = % 23
  15. Greg Olsen – Carolina Panthers = % 13
  16. Marcedes Lewis – Jacksonville Jaguars = % 18
  17. Rob Gronkowski – New England Patriots = % 25
  18. Heath Miller – Pittsburgh Steelers = % 15
  19. Visanthe Shiancoe – Minnesota Vikings = % 12
  20. Brent Celek – Philadelphia Eagles = % 19
  21. Hernandez (wasn’t on the list ) = % 17

Fasano gets no love because he is a true TE. Nothing flashy but he does a lot of stuff well, he catches the ball most every time it is thrown his way, he produces first downs, catches a decent amount of TD passes and I will argue with anyone who says he cannot block.

He is never going to be a 1000 yard TE but he produces positive play almost everythime he touches the ball and I'll take that anytime.

Amen, and well said. A breath of fresh air!

DSteve, the mere fact that you stated "His numbers are abysmal" are why it seems that you just don't understand what a tight end actually does. Would you prefer Jimmy Graham over Jason Witten? Looking at their receiving numbers, it seems obvious! Who wouldn't! But when you get a little deeper and look at how an offense must rely on versatility from these guys - to block like an offensive lineman and catch like a receiver - you have to find a balancing act. Personally? I'd take Witten. My team is going to run the ball far more than pass it, so it's important that they have a guy who not only CAN block, but other teams have to RESPECT his ability as a blocker. That's what makes Gronk so deadly out there. He can do both things insanely well, and his mere presence in the huddle isn't an indication as to what the offense is likely to do on the upcoming play/series.

Amen, and well said. A breath of fresh air!

DSteve, the mere fact that you stated "His numbers are abysmal" are why it seems that you just don't understand what a tight end actually does. Would you prefer Jimmy Graham over Jason Witten? Looking at their receiving numbers, it seems obvious! Who wouldn't! But when you get a little deeper and look at how an offense must rely on versatility from these guys - to block like an offensive lineman and catch like a receiver - you have to find a balancing act. Personally? I'd take Witten. My team is going to run the ball far more than pass it, so it's important that they have a guy who not only CAN block, but other teams have to RESPECT his ability as a blocker. That's what makes Gronk so deadly out there. He can do both things insanely well, and his mere presence in the huddle isn't an indication as to what the offense is likely to do on the upcoming play/series.

Hernandez is exactly what you think of when you saw "pass catching TE". (One half of that means he cannot block like a TE should as well as being able to catch passes. In fact, to me, a pass catching TE means one that cannot line block) Our C Clay is bigger then Hernandez is so if you ever wonder if Clay is big enough, he is big enough to be a pass catching TE.

Defenses do read the offense by which players are in. If Clay ever came in as the starting TE over Fasano in a single TE formation the defense would be sure that it is a passing down and Clay is going out. If Fasano is in, it could be a run or pass play. Last season, Clay made his catches from some two TEs sets and running longer then normal roues from the FB position. But he was always the second TE or the FB.

Gronk is awesome. Very few TEs that catch that many passes are so good at blocking.

So you start by saying there's really only a few catches worth noting on that video and you finish by losing count of how many there are, throwing up your hands and saying "I'm not going to list them all"?

The reason the plays repeat is to give you a better view of them. I included the instant replays if I felt they included a better view of the play, as well as the coaches tape if I felt that showed something the other views did not.

1. New England. Through formation he ends up in one-on-one coverage with Gary Guyton (now on the Dolphins), who has 4.47 speed as tested at the 2008 Combine. Not only that, to get out on the route, Fasano has to use a quick hand move to make Rob Ninkovich miss on his attempt to jam Anthony at the line. He then finishes the play with an amazing one handed over the shoulder grab.

2. New England. Now he's running a seam route against the zone coverage of Dane Fletcher (4.62 speed) and Patrick Chung. Note the shoulder fake to the outside which immediately causes Fletcher to flatten out and look to undercut the ball on an out route. The deke also helps to hold Patrick Chung on his outside leverage an extra beat before he begins closing on the seam route. Finishes the play with a nice catch in stride, and holds onto the ball even after being walloped by Chung from the blind side.

3. New England. Once again matches up one-on-one with the 4.47 speedster Gary Guyton, and easily creates separation. Finishes the play by adjusting to the poor back-shoulder bullet placement of the seam pass.

4. Cleveland. Truthfully I did not intend to keep this catch in the video as it didn't fit within my stated scope. However, that doesn't mean he didn't do anything great on this play. He got by a hard jam by Scott Fujita, found a big hole in the zone, caught the low ball thrown by Henne, stayed on his feet and ran immediately for 9 more yards after the catch.

5. Kansas City. Interesting that you criticize this play. For me, it was in its own way one of the most impressive in the bunch. It was a great play design, I'll give you that. Fasano releases off the line to the back side and is immediately jammed hard by NT Kelly Gregg, but uses his hands to get by him. From there, you're right, he is wide open because Derrick Johnson was late getting out and was also rubbed by Brandon Marshall. However, I included the play anyway. Why? Derrick Johnson runs a 4.52, verified at the 2005 Combine. He also has a 37.5 inch vertical and ran an unbelievable 3.93 shuttle. Yet when Fasano gets 5 yards of separation on him, he maintains that separation until he has to turn back and slow up for the football. Then Anthony does something I still find incredible. His back is completely turned to the end zone and he's catching the ball as Derrick Johnson is ramming at him full speed right at his face, Fasano catches the ball at the 11 yard line and back pedals, turns and keeps running into the end zone while PRO BOWL linebacker Derrick Johnson feebly tries to get him down. Yes, Fasano got open because of the play design and the rub by Marshall, as well as Anthony's being able to shed a jam by Kelly Gregg. However, he finished the damn play over a Pro Bowler because he's a damn good player.

6. Washington. The first thing he does is shed a jam from sensational young outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan. What he does next is way more cool, though. If you watch the coaches tape, he's actually lined up in one-on-one coverage with DeAngelo Hall. The first view of this play is really the best one because you can see closer up how Fasano turns his shoulders around to the outside to fake an out/corner route, gets DeAngelo to bite, and then turns back inside for the catch. This a three time Pro Bowl selection cornerback and it would be one thing if Fasano beat him in coverage because he's just bigger and more physical, but no...he actually created separation with his ability to run the route. After that, adjusting to the poorly placed ball on his back shoulder, which allowed DeAngelo to try and strip the ball away, and then defeating Hall's attempt to strip the football...that's just gravy. Hell of a play.

7. Washington. Again, one on one coverage with All Pro linebacker London Fletcher. This is becoming old hat. Fasano turns his shoulder to fake the in cut, uses his hands to release outside and up the field, uses the separation he created on the All Pro to make an incredible (once you see it up close) one-handed over the shoulder catch. And it's not even his first incredible one-handed over the shoulder catch of the video.

8. Oakland. Anthony takes a hard jam by Kamerion Wimbley, and dishes back even more than Wimbley gave him, with a hard chuck of his own. He made Kamerian look silly through strong hand use, leaving Wimbley grasping at air and stumbling over himself trying to recover. Of course, it goes without saying Fasano finished the catch and even ran for an extra 8 yards after the catch, staying on his feet despite having to spin backward to secure the ball in traffic.

9. Philadelphia. Here Anthony turns the shoulder to the outside but sees the big hole between the cover two zones and turns straight up into it. Finishes by jumping for the high throw and absorbing a wicked shot from Nate Allen, even twirling around for an extra 4 yards after the hit. And hell, this was probably the easiest of the catches in the video.

10. Philadelphia. Here he beats the 4.59 speedster linebacker Keenan Clayton for yet another catch over the middle. You can't see the up field view of this play but it was impressive how Anthony had to spot the ball with Keenan's body blocking the view of it, and the adjust out to the front of Keenan and catch the ball as it squirted by his shoulder. Not an easy thing to do.

There are certainly catches I left out. He caught a nice deep one for a TD against the Bills that I left out simply because he ran a basic corner route and was left uncovered. The best thing he did on the play was run his route and finish with the catch. I purposely included 10 very impressive catches mostly beating the type of coverage he'd have to beat in Joe Philbin's offense. The fact that he showed he can consistently do that and finish the play with a catch is the reason Joe Philbin is intrigued with Fasano.

Back
Top Bottom