Anthony Fasano's role could be decreasing in Miami | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anthony Fasano's role could be decreasing in Miami

People tend to forget his YPC average, you would not think of him as a downfield pass catcher but he runs a lot longer routes.

Last season his YPC was 14.1 which was 4th in the NFL for TEs. In 2010 he was 8th. In 2008 he was 5th. (among TEs that caught at least 30 passes).

Speaking of 2008, I think we will see a season for our TEs like that one. Fasano caught 34 passes and D Martin caught 31. Martin had the bigger YPC average (14.5 to 13.4) but Fasano had 7 TDs to Martin's 3.

I can see us with a season where Fasano has 45-50 catches, Clay has 30-35 catches and Egnew gets 15-20.

People tend to forget his YPC average, you would not think of him as a downfield pass catcher but he runs a lot longer routes.

Last season his YPC was 14.1 which was 4th in the NFL for TEs. In 2010 he was 8th. In 2008 he was 5th. (among TEs that caught at least 30 passes).

Speaking of 2008, I think we will see a season for our TEs like that one. Fasano caught 34 passes and D Martin caught 31. Martin had the bigger YPC average (14.5 to 13.4) but Fasano had 7 TDs to Martin's 3.

I can see us with a season where Fasano has 45-50 catches, Clay has 30-35 catches and Egnew gets 15-20.
I didn't include ypr or tds, but clearly he has the tools to be a complete TE. Oppurtunity is what he needs.

I think it's the opposite of what some think. I think Anthony Fasano could have some of his shorter routes taken away and given to a Michael Egnew and Charles Clay who are better at running after the catch, because they're more explosive. I think Fasano's footprint on the deeper passes especially up the middle will actually increase.

What he won't do is line up on the outside like a wide receiver, and I think that's where Clay and Egnew will both also contribute.

I didn't include ypr or tds, but clearly he has the tools to be a complete TE. Oppurtunity is what he needs.

I agree 100%.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

I think it's the opposite of what some think. I think Anthony Fasano could have some of his shorter routes taken away and given to a Michael Egnew and Charles Clay who are better at running after the catch, because they're more explosive. I think Fasano's footprint on the deeper passes especially up the middle will actually increase.

Interesting. I think too many assume that he only goes out for short passes when it seems like he rarely does.

I'm hoping for a rebirth of what we saw that year as well. I loved watching that TE duo operate.

Here is why I think he is a cut in August...
1. He is not a "Philbin guy"
2. Not sure he is a fit in this system
3. He is in the last year of his deal and could free up additional cap money/save the team cash
4. While contract talks have opened with other FA's on this team, they have not with him...

I will remember this thread/conversation in late August.

For the record, I am not a Fasano hater. I think he has been pretty good. I am just making a prediction. We have to understand that Philbin's style of player is going to emerge around here like it or not. I do not think Fasano is a fit.
1. What exactly is a "Philbin guy"
2. How does Coach Philbin want to utilize the TE position in his system.
(On how do you utilize the tight end position) – “Again, we would like to find a guy that can function as an in-line blocker. You want someone who can sit next to your offensive tackle, double team down on the defensive end, single block a defensive end, zone block with a tackle. Those are probably the three primary things that we look to identify watching a tight from a blocking prospective. You love to see a guy that can win down the middle of the field and typically that’s where they lineup most of the time so whether it’s a walkout linebacker or strong safety, like to see a guy that can win his fair share of those matchups and a guy that can get in and out of his cuts in the intermediate area, that would be an added bonus. I think probably the run blocking there and we’re going to ask our guys to pass protect as well, that’s probably next down the line. There’s some of those same type of players if we can split them out at times that can help us. We don’t like to box guys we call them. We want guys with flexibility that can move around a little bit.”
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...mi-dolphins-coach-joe-philbin-unfiltered.html
Which of the TEs presently on the roster fills this role as well as Fasano? Can Charles Clay be counted on to single block a defensive end? Can Michael Egnew be counted on to block at all?
3. This is why he would be traded before he is cut/released.
4. Which potential FA have the Dolphins talked to?
### Now that they have extended Cameron Wake, the Dolphins are mulling which potential 2013 free agents they should sign next. Randy Starks and Anthony Fasano said Miami has not made offers (though Starks will be eventually, from what we hear), and Reggie Bush surprisingly has not been approached.

Jake Long said he is unaware of any contract talks, but Miami will use the franchise tag on him next spring if a deal isn’t reached. Expect offers eventually to Brian Hartline and Sean Smith, entering the last year of their deals….
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...he-heats-supporting-cast-fins-marlins-um.html

Fasano isn't going anywhere this year.

In fact he has a chance to become the most productive Tight end in Dolphins history.

Player TD's

Bruce Hardy 25
Randy McMichael 18
Keith Jackson 18
Anthony Fasano 18

If he puts up 7 TD's like he did in 2008 when the offense was geared around him he will become the most prolific scoring TE in Phins history.

Recently Charles Clay had an interview with Omar Kelly. His praise of Anthony Fasano was absolutely glowing, not just for his role teaching the younger tight ends but also just how much of a technician he is in all phases. Clay said that really his first experience playing the true TE position ever was late last year against NE because Fasano sat that game. He said his head was spinning. Clay caught a 1 yard TD in the game but overall PFF gave him a negative grade, one of his worst on the year. Listening to Clay it sounded like he's still intimidated a little by the TE position and has a lot to learn, but that his goal is to be a complete TE like Fasano.

I think it was a good glimpse into the internal mindset about Anthony Fasano around the Dolphins' facility, which is that he's a high quality starter...whereas a lot of people around here seem to want to toss him out with yesterday's garbage.

Recently Charles Clay had an interview with Omar Kelly. His praise of Anthony Fasano was absolutely glowing, not just for his role teaching the younger tight ends but also just how much of a technician he is in all phases. Clay said that really his first experience playing the true TE position ever was late last year against NE because Fasano sat that game. He said his head was spinning. Clay caught a 1 yard TD in the game but overall PFF gave him a negative grade, one of his worst on the year. Listening to Clay it sounded like he's still intimidated a little by the TE position and has a lot to learn, but that his goal is to be a complete TE like Fasano.

I think it was a good glimpse into the internal mindset about Anthony Fasano around the Dolphins' facility, which is that he's a high quality starter...whereas a lot of people around here seem to want to toss him out with yesterday's garbage.
I think some people look at fasano and they do two things, they remember he's a bill Parcells guy, and of course, that makes him a reminder and they are automatically repulsed by him, and two they look at the brandon marshall trade and think... if brandon is expendable, why not get rid of fasano.

...whereas a lot of people around here seem to want to toss him out with yesterday's garbage.

Agreed, I just don't see it. Where would we have been in 2008 without him? Surely not AFC East Champions. He had alot of key TD's that year.

i'm sure people will hate on me for this what's new but what did you expect clay to say..."fasano blows"...of course he's gonna talk him up...kid looks up to the veteran...shocker

i'm sure people will hate on me for this what's new but what did you expect clay to say..."fasano blows"...of course he's gonna talk him up...
he could of course say nothing? in fact with the cynics out there, i'm not sure why players even bother giving interviews. if they say something nice or supportive people don't believe them

he could of course say nothing? in fact with the cynics out there, i'm not sure why players even bother giving interviews. if they say something nice or supportive people don't believe them

sure he could say nothing...i look at what most these players say to the media like i look at what these coaches say...which is a lot of fluff...but don't let me derail you guys...keep on keeping on...i'm just not buying everything that come out of a players mouth

i do believe clay looks up to fasano...why wouldn't he...he's the starting te and clays just learning the position...i would try and soak up what he has to say like a sponge also...but i don't think this says anything about how integral a part of philbins o fasano is

i will say this though...i guess i should temper my enthusiasm for clay blowing up this year off what he's saying...sounds like he's not ready to be on the field every down as a te from a knows the offense and responsibilities aspect of the position...and if he doesn't help us in a big way that's a big damn blow to this pedestrian group of skill position players...a big damn blow

Back
Top Bottom