anyone else high on vernon gholston? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

anyone else high on vernon gholston?

WatCanBrownDo4U

Impossible Is Nothing
Reaction score
this man is a beast. He is the ideal parcells player. I think of him as a Demarcus Ware. very underrated. thoughts?

Give me a better reason to draft him other than he is a "beast" or that he has "mad skills".

I'v never watched a game where he was playing, all I've seen is the youtube video, and from what I've seen I do like him. The only knock I've read about on him was that he takes plays off and... they usually dont put those in hilights... so hard to say! He does look like a beast.

It's hard to be underrated when you're considered a top-5 pick.

The knock on Gholston in college is that he'd take plays off. Not entirely unheard of among 20-something year old athletes in college, especially when they're so much more physically talented than most of the competition.

Assuming he's able to keep his focus, he's likely to be a perennial Pro Bowler.

Interesting note from his OSU bio:

"...likes beaches and tropical climates."

Hmmmm...you mean like South Beach?

any time I hear "his stock rose greatly after an impressive combine workout", it worries me. I have also read that he has stiff hips and doesn't change direction well. his only move is the bull-rush. yes, he is strong, but these are the same exact qualities that Mike Mamula had. it's one thing to overpower a kid from Yougstown State, another to go up against NFL players. then, you throw in a questionable motor and I want no part of him. in fact, I hope the Jets or Patriots pick him. they deserve a nice first round bust.

Would'nt mind if we ended up drafting him, but I would rather have one of the Long's

From what I've seen of him as a player, my Ebeneezer Ekuban alarm goes off on him a little bit. Ekuban was a bust for the Cowboys even though he had a great work ethic, blazing 40 time and looked like a Mr. Olympia contestant. The trouble is he was stiff and didn't have much flexibility or balance. He couldn't dip his shoulder and get low when rounding the corner on an offensive tackle .. they just pushed him wide of the pocket. He had no innate instincts for the game as far as hand usage and how to set up an offensive tackle for counter moves. He was all everything in the Underwear Olympics, but wasn't much of a football player.

all everything in the Underwear Olympics

I'm currently training to compete in the Underwear Olympics in the 2012 games. I specialize in the Boxer-Brief and Commando divisions.

A bit of history about Gholston:
- He didn't play football until his sophomore year in HS.
- He played 1 year of LB in HS...most of his time was at guard. (Note: part of the reason he moved from LB to OG was because, "he was overwhelmed by the plays he needed to know" to play LB. In a quick look, I couldn't find any report on his Wonderlic score.)
- Between the 2005 season (in which he was out with a hand injury) and the 2006 season at OSU, Gholston gained 26 pounds (from 238 to 264). Looking at that and his vascularity gives me pause to wonder...

Lotsa whatif on this kid. Not sure if he's a $multi-million investment kind of guy. I love the potential and talent but nagging questions remain...

this man is a beast. He is the ideal parcells player. I think of him as a Demarcus Ware. very underrated. thoughts?

Gholston is a beast, but I would rather have Glenn Dorsey at #1, cause he will impact the defense like nobody will.

This is my top 5:

1.- Dorsey
2.- Gholston
3.- Chris Long
4.- Jake Long
5.- Clady

If we take Jake Long with the 1st overall, I really hope we land a DT like Trevor Laws on the second round. Ferguson is a good DT but he is old and one injury away of retirement.

My thoughts exactly. He is the next Demarcus Ware. We have to ask oursleves, do we want or need a Demarcus Ware on our team????

Gholston is a beast, but I would rather have Glenn Dorsey at #1, cause he will impact the defense like nobody will.

This is my top 5:

1.- Dorsey
2.- Gholston
3.- Chris Long
4.- Jake Long
5.- Clady

If we take Jake Long with the 1st overall, I really hope we land a DT like Trevor Laws on the second round. Ferguson is a good DT but he is old and one injury away of retirement.

i love laws too, but he would be a DE here. was his combine that good? noone knew who he was until recently.

Sounds a bit like a boom or bust guy remeber Darell Gardner he worked out OK at the 15 th pick a few years back!

Back
Top Bottom