anyone else high on vernon gholston? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

anyone else high on vernon gholston?

any time I hear "his stock rose greatly after an impressive combine workout", it worries me. I have also read that he has stiff hips and doesn't change direction well. his only move is the bull-rush. yes, he is strong, but these are the same exact qualities that Mike Mamula had. it's one thing to overpower a kid from Yougstown State, another to go up against NFL players. then, you throw in a questionable motor and I want no part of him. in fact, I hope the Jets or Patriots pick him. they deserve a nice first round bust.

This is the same thing they said about Ronnie Brown. He was considered a late first round pick. Had an outstanding workout and moved up to number 2.

Gholston was always at the worst a top 15 pick. So who knows.

Gholsten scares me. This guy has Mike Mamulla (spelling) written all over him. IMHO the only thing he is meant to do is star in one of the under armour commercials. Sure he looks like a physical specimen but he's not that great of a football player. Someone mentioned earlier he takes plays off, well he disapears for whole games. I remember watching the championship and specifically watching for VG but alas he was nowhere to be found. (Dorsey didn't really impress me either).

any time I hear "his stock rose greatly after an impressive combine workout", it worries me. I have also read that he has stiff hips and doesn't change direction well. his only move is the bull-rush. yes, he is strong, but these are the same exact qualities that Mike Mamula had. it's one thing to overpower a kid from Yougstown State, another to go up against NFL players. then, you throw in a questionable motor and I want no part of him. in fact, I hope the Jets or Patriots pick him. they deserve a nice first round bust.

When people bring up things like this about Gholston and him not being able to play in the NFL I can't help but wonder if they think that Jake Long won't be good in the NFL either. Gholston terrorized Jake Long in that OSU/Mich game, and Gholston is one of main reasons that some people are Saying Jake Long may not be a good tackle in the NFL. Now Jake is clearly the best O-lineman in a draft class that is very strong at that position and if Gholston can beat him consistently I like his chances of succeeding in the NFL.

Sounds a bit like a boom or bust guy remeber Darell Gardner he worked out OK at the 15 th pick a few years back!

gardenergif-1.jpg

Scariest...dome....ever

If we wanted a guy who was freakishly talented but took plays off, we could have traded for Shaun Rodgers.

That being said, Gholston is the guy most likely to take an under market contract to be selected #1 overall, and maybe Sparano and co. can motivate him better than his college coaches did.

If we wanted a guy who was freakishly talented but took plays off, we could have traded for Shaun Rodgers.

That being said, Gholston is the guy most likely to take an under market contract to be selected #1 overall, and maybe Sparano and co. can motivate him better than his college coaches did.

One thing I know for sure....if this guy takes as many plays off as people say he does, and still gets as many sacks as Chris Long in his JUNIOR year comapred to Chris' senior year?Then I want a piece of that pie.

I'm very worried he's on steroids to be honest....other than that i'd like him at #1.

No need to be worried that he is, because HE IS... Just look at him, even with crazy lifting, eating nothing but dry chicken breasts and drinking nothing but gallons of protein shakes, the human body still is not meant to get that big

When people bring up things like this about Gholston and him not being able to play in the NFL I can't help but wonder if they think that Jake Long won't be good in the NFL either. Gholston terrorized Jake Long in that OSU/Mich game, and Gholston is one of main reasons that some people are Saying Jake Long may not be a good tackle in the NFL. Now Jake is clearly the best O-lineman in a draft class that is very strong at that position and if Gholston can beat him consistently I like his chances of succeeding in the NFL.

You're only talking about one part of the game though.

Nobody can question Gholston's ability to rush the passer. He would be one of the best in the league at OLB to do that.

The knock on him is that he doesn't have great change-of-direction ability, he's a liability in coverage, and he doesn't always give 100%.

We already have an OLB that is good at blitzing but pretty much sucks at everything else, and we guaranteed him $20M last year.

So while Gholston may very well end up being the next Shawn Merriman, the risk with him is greater than it is with Dorsey, or either of the Longs.

One thing I know for sure....if this guy takes as many plays off as people say he does, and still gets as many sacks as Chris Long in his JUNIOR year comapred to Chris' senior year?Then I want a piece of that pie.

Stats are worthless in the college game. Too many different systems and schemes...the supporting cast makes a big difference as does the conference you're in and everything else.
That would be like saying receivers from Michigan all suck because they never get 1000 yards.

Plus there's more to playing OLB than just getting sacks. Hell, let's say Gholston gets two sacks per game, every game, and sets the NFL record with 34 sacks for the year.
What's he going to do for the other 38+ plays that the defense is on the field?

I would be really happy with either Chris or Vernon. I can see both changing games and helping our D dominate.

Back
Top Bottom