Arm strength is NOT how far you can throw it | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Arm strength is NOT how far you can throw it

The combine started on 2/22 and ended on 3/2. You posted something from the end of April.

No, I didnt.

Tua's pro-day was the first week of April.

Again, are you bad at calendars?

Tua's pro-day was the first week of April and he had been throwing and practicing (for that pro day) for weeks before that.

Dude the WR was literally wide open and still had to stop his route, turn around and come back to the ball.

Thats a perfect example of poor arm strenght.
Dude, Tua with no time to plant, no time to think, got the ball to him quickly, and at a point where he can catch it. If that is Josh, he might end up throwing to far, a bit off to the right or left, and end up with a possible incomplete pass or worse.

I routinely see people on all forums (and this one is no exception) think that arm strength is how far a QB can throw the football down the field.

That is not correct. Its velocity.

For example, I've seen Chad Pennington complete a 60 yard pass (in the air) and he was one of the weaker arms in recent NFL history for a starter. Pennington's problem was velocity.

Here is the true formula for arm strength: How far a QB can throw the ball, when taking into consideration VELOCITY of the ball.

Pennington could throw it 60 yards, but there was no speed/zip with the ball. So it took a long time to get there and the ball kinda hung in the air. So what Pennington did was only throw long when he knew he had a good chance of completing it (meaning, the WR had steps on the DB, so the ball taking longer to get there wouldn't matter). Youll notice on many (notice I didnt say "all) of Tua's deep throws, he has a wide open guy or the guy has many steps on the DB. I think Tua is only throwing long in certain situations where you knows he can make it work - thus his small sample size.

This video below is the best comparison I could find of what i'm talking about. UNFORTUNATELY, it uses Josh Allen as one of the examples. I wish it used a different QB, like Rodgers, because people will think I purposefully picked it because of Allen, but I did NOT. It's just a really well done comparison showing how VELOCITY is what mattes with arm strength. Not distance. Not "deep throws".

PS, dont flame me. I think this is a fair discussion.

Nope and it ain't all velocity based either.

I made the point clear as day. Other people got it. You're the only one struggling.

I literally wrote in my post that I wish there was another example that showed velocity without Allen, but its the best video I have, so pretend its a different QB.

Learn to read.
What we all got is you came here to troll Miami fans on our forum ti show that Allen has a stronger arm than Tua. You can say all day long that you wish you had different examples from other guys but that is not the case. You saw this tweet from a different Bills fan and chose to troll Miami with it.

Trolling is not aloud here. Take it somewhere else. Mods are we going to alow Bills fan to just come here and cause trouble?

Nope and it ain't all velocity based either.

Yeah Burrow is on the weaker side too.

That's been talked about since college.

It's not Pennington or Tua weak, but its belowish average for an NFL QB.

I made the point clear as day. Other people got it. You're the only one struggling.

I literally wrote in my post that I wish there was another example that showed velocity without Allen, but its the best video I have, so pretend its a different QB.

Learn to read.

so you basically making a post about an observation we all have already seen.....I guess you are just really behind.

water is wet...capt obvious here folks

captain obvious hotels.com GIF

What we all got is you came here to troll Miami fans on our forum ti show that Allen has a stronger arm than Tua. You can say all day long that you wish you had different examples from other guys but that is not the case. You saw this tweet from a different Bills fan and chose to troll Miami with it.

Trolling is not aloud here. Take it somewhere else. Mods are we going to alow Bills fan to just come here and cause trouble?

It's not my fault you can't read.

Everyone else is having a civilized discussion. Join in, or dont.

Dude, Tua with no time to plant, no time to think, got the ball to him quickly, and at a point where he can catch it. If that is Josh, he might end up throwing to far, a bit off to the right or left, and end up with a possible incomplete pass or worse.

So.... why use that video as some sort of evidence?

Uh, what?

Tua was running and throwing at his pro-day which was like a week after the combine.

Nice try.

Combine was February 22 - March 3rd. Tuas pro day was in April. Get your sh*t straight troll.

It's not my fault you can't read.

Everyone else is having a civilized discussion. Join in, or dont.
I'm supposed to have a civilized discussion with a Bills fan who comes on a Miami Dolphins forum and posts a video that shows Josh Allen and the difference between his velocity and Tuas velocity? There is no discussion to make. Everyone in the world knows that Allen has a stronger arm and more velocity than every other QB not just Tua.

You came here to rub it in our face and think your cute by showing us a video about how much stro get he is. If this is not your point then what is? You are telling us something that we already know. You might as well have made a post that states "the only way to win is to score more points than the other team"

so you basically making a post about an observation we all have already seen.....I guess you are just really behind.

water is wet...capt obvious here folks

captain obvious hotels.com GIF
He's bitching about people cherry picking stats to support their arguments and then comes back with a cherry picked stat to support his. He hasn't figured out people are just ****ing with him because he isn't even a goddamn Miami fan and is only here to stir the pot.

Yes velocity matters in the amount of time to reach the target.

I know the max velocity chart has been posted multiple times on this forum, but last season I worked up some data points on time to reach target based upon the max velocity but also factored in release time.

View attachment 103887

Thanks for posting the numbers. I can see the differential. This is evidence that Allen, Mahomes, etc. have higher velocities. It also shows the significance of that in the time it takes for the ball to reach X yds.

What I don't see or understand is the significance in .23 seconds difference for the ball to travel 60 yds. Does that short of time elapsed really make a huge impact throw to throw, game to game? How many times a game do QB's throw to their maximum velocity?

If all things are equal, launch angle, etc., wouldn't the difference in velocity show up in a difference in distance proportionally?

Back
Top Bottom