Article: Stephen Ross Is Drastically Ruining His Own Franchise | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article: Stephen Ross Is Drastically Ruining His Own Franchise

It's one thing to support your team. It's entirely a seperate issue to support the employment and empowerment of coaches, administrators and players who contribute to failure. Supporting the team means wanting those people gone, not mindlessly hoping they get better when it's never going to happen.
Was I supporting my team last year and the year before that by calling for Sparano and Irealand's heads? Damn straight. Sparano is a terrible coach and Ireland has failed to adapt to modern day NFL philosophies. The entire Bill Parcells stench should be ridden from this organization.
Was I supporting my team by wanting to lose games after we were 0-4? Abso-****in-lutely. We would have been so much better off with Luck or RG3 than we are with Tannehill that it isn't even funny. Not to mention we would have been in better position throghout the draft to, you know, actually improve the team.
Supporting the team means wanting the team to improve, and actually wanting to win a championship. Rooting for Sparano, and meaningless wins when yr team is 3-10 means your rooting for mediocrity. Not improvement or championships.

I'm NOT going to argue that your attitude is wrong. Lord knows, I was such a severe critic of the Bills FO for years prior to the Nix-Gailey regime that I'm shocked that I didn't get banned for life for some of the things that I said/accused Ralph Wilson, Russ Brandon, and the rest of the crew on OBD of being/doing. A funny thing has happened since the dark days of 2009 ... the Bills FO apparently turned over a new leaf despite Ralph Wilson remaining the owner and Russ Brandon still in the FO.

I suggest that you give the new regime at least a chance to actually play some games before you condemn them. There's less crow to eat that way. :hi5:

I'm NOT going to argue that your attitude is wrong. Lord knows, I was such a severe critic of the Bills FO for years prior to the Nix-Gailey regime that I'm shocked that I didn't get banned for life for some of the things that I said/accused Ralph Wilson, Russ Brandon, and the rest of the crew on OBD of being/doing. A funny thing has happened since the dark days of 2009 ... the Bills FO apparently turned over a new leaf despite Ralph Wilson remaining the owner and Russ Brandon still in the FO.

I suggest that you give the new regime at least a chance to actually play some games before you condemn them. There's less crow to eat that way. :hi5:

I'm absolutely giving the new coaching staff a chance, just not most of the old Parcells/Ireland players... Or Ireland himself. I hate his guts.

It's one thing to support your team. It's entirely a seperate issue to support the employment and empowerment of coaches, administrators and players who contribute to failure. Supporting the team means wanting those people gone, not mindlessly hoping they get better when it's never going to happen.
Was I supporting my team last year and the year before that by calling for Sparano and Irealand's heads? Damn straight. Sparano is a terrible coach and Ireland has failed to adapt to modern day NFL philosophies. The entire Bill Parcells stench should be ridden from this organization.
Was I supporting my team by wanting to lose games after we were 0-4? Abso-****in-lutely. We would have been so much better off with Luck or RG3 than we are with Tannehill that it isn't even funny. Not to mention we would have been in better position throghout the draft to, you know, actually improve the team.
Supporting the team means wanting the team to improve, and actually wanting to win a championship. Rooting for Sparano, and meaningless wins when yr team is 3-10 means your rooting for mediocrity. Not improvement or championships.

So how have you been "supporting" your team? ...by buying chinese knockoff Jerseys?

Pick any dictionary and "fan" is a derivative of "fanatic" which is invariably described as "a person who is marked by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiam" and so forth. You can try to justify rooting against the team, rooting against the front office, hoping to fail and such that essentially made our fans the laughingstock of the league... as some sort of bull**** rationalization for being at best a fair weather fan and NOT rooting for your team. That's your prerogative. But from where I sit, you are far less a fan than a critic. I would hope that if you went as extreme in '07, you were not hypocritical enough to actually jump on the bandwagon in '08. Hopefully, you will show the same sort of restraint if the team which showed some glimmers of hope last season and by all appearances had a promising draft, actually turns out to be in it to win it - by quietly sitting on the sidelines instead of dusting off your pom poms. Can't have it both ways. Just don't be a hypocrite after pizzing and moaning about everything and actually rooting against your team to win. Fair enough?

So how have you been "supporting" your team? ...by buying chinese knockoff Jerseys?

Pick any dictionary and "fan" is a derivative of "fanatic" which is invariably described as "a person who is marked by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiam" and so forth. You can try to justify rooting against the team, rooting against the front office, hoping to fail and such that essentially made our fans the laughingstock of the league... as some sort of bull**** rationalization for being at best a fair weather fan and NOT rooting for your team. That's your prerogative. But from where I sit, you are far less a fan than a critic. I would hope that if you went as extreme in '07, you were not hypocritical enough to actually jump on the bandwagon in '08. Hopefully, you will show the same sort of restraint if the team which showed some glimmers of hope last season and by all appearances had a promising draft, actually turns out to be in it to win it - by quietly sitting on the sidelines instead of dusting off your pom poms. Can't have it both ways. Just don't be a hypocrite after pizzing and moaning about everything and actually rooting against your team to win. Fair enough?

I'm a fair weather fan? Lol wow.
I stood up and went nuts in a room crowded with Giants fans in 2007 when Greg Camarillo ran into the endzone against the Ravens because I desperately wanted to see a win.
I was practically in tears in '04 when AJ Feeley and Derrius Thompson outdueled Tom Brady. In 2010 when Cam Wake sacked Mark Sanchez to end the game against the Jets late in the year, I was as elated as a human being can be.
The problem is that these are probably the three most memorable moments that I have as a Fins fan in my teenage - adult life, in horrible losing seasons. I want a championship, I want multiple championships, and those are delivered by great quarterbacks and great coaching staffs. I thought that Luck was our best chance at a great QB and we missed out. Do I have a crystal ball? No, but if you put a gun to my head, I would bet everything I have that Luck will have a much better career than Tannehill.
I wanted to get the first overall pick last year because I wanted a FIRE SALE on the coaching staff, a new QB who IMO can lead us to the promised land in Luck, and a GM who doesn't have the stink of Bill Parcells on his breath. All three of those things would be good things for the long term success of our franchise. How can I possibly be a fair weather fan if I'm rooting for LONG TERM SUCCESS, not SHORT TERM MEDIOCRITY?? I'm telling you that I would be willing to sit thru yet another God awful losing season if it means that we can set ourselves up for future long term success and a consistent contending team. Your argument makes no sense.
Going 6-10 instead of 2-14 would have meant nothing for the football team as currently constructed, drafting Andrew Luck would have meant being a contender for the next 10-15 years IMO, and probably a Lombardi trophy or two. Nope, but I'm a terrible fair weather fan right?

Going into next season, I'm going to be rooting as hard as anybody on this planet for the Dolphins, and I'll be as pumped as anybody for football season. Just because I don't wholeheartedly agree with every nonsensical decision our current GM makes doesn't mean I'm a "fair weather fan".

When he says

Ross cares more about bringing in celebrity owners, including Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony, Gloria Estefan, Venus and Serena Williams, Fergie, Jimmy Buffett and others. Again, looking good is more important than actually being good.

I don't even think there's a way to prove this so how can you take this guy seriously?

I'm absolutely giving the new coaching staff a chance, just not most of the old Parcells/Ireland players... Or Ireland himself. I hate his guts.

I can understand that. I have never been a Parcells fan, and IMO he might have been a great coach twenty years ago but he's never been more than an average GM at best, and time has definitely passed him by. I think that Ireland may NOT be the Parcells clone that you think he is. Certainly hiring a younger coach who likes a WCO and isn't a Parcells pal (like Sparano) is NOT a Parcells-style move.

I can understand that. I have never been a Parcells fan, and IMO he might have been a great coach twenty years ago but he's never been more than an average GM at best, and time has definitely passed him by. I think that Ireland may NOT be the Parcells clone that you think he is. Certainly hiring a younger coach who likes a WCO and isn't a Parcells pal (like Sparano) is NOT a Parcells-style move.
Per Adam Schefter and others, Philbin was Ross' guy, Ireland wanted Denver OC Mike McCoy. I will say that the 1st time I thought he might've turned the corner was emphasizing skill players in this past draft, rather than some token late picks.

I still dont love him, and wonder how many other GM's were left to clean up the messes they helped make(especially w/o any previous track record), but he's here now. I can hope he's learned some lessons.

Per Adam Schefter and others, Philbin was Ross' guy, Ireland wanted Denver OC Mike McCoy. I will say that the 1st time I thought he might've turned the corner was emphasizing skill players in this past draft, rather than some token late picks.

I still dont love him, and wonder how many other GM's were left to clean up the messes they helped make(especially w/o any previous track record), but he's here now. I can hope he's learned some lessons.
I can buy that Mike McCoy "was" an ireland pick, but I think the second and third interviews really soured him and Ross on the idea.

**that to some extent the fan backlash was inevitable and understandable but the bottom line was it was those embarrasingly disgruntled malcontents, essentially fair weather fans despite their shallow excuses otherwise, rooting against the team to succeed for the illusion of a better draft pick, including the jobless or non-essential ones demonstrating during working hours outside the Davie headquarters who became the national laughingstock and embarrassment to Ross and the organization.

That paragraph earns special merit. I wanted to make sure it aired one more time, and alone. If anything exemplifies the sad, desperate, butchered and mean spirited perspective of many of the apologists around here, that paragraph does it.

Back
Top Bottom