Artis Hicks agrees to contract with Dolphins/ pending physical | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Artis Hicks agrees to contract with Dolphins/ pending physical

Well then, we may have found the one thing we have in common...

Hell even in the face of a police report that said Brandon Marshall was charged with battery you still wouldnt show integrity and keep your word so nothing you say phases me. Im not even sure you know who Artis Hicks is, you just comment to comment lol

Based on what I have seen I think this is our Day 1 starter at Right Guard if he is healthy. That's a big IF because injuries have plagued him throughout his career. You all would know him by reputation a lot better if he weren't so injury prone, I think.

I saw him play Right Tackle with Cleveland in 2011. That was very clearly out of position for him, not a good idea at all. I guess that was their need, but even so, it was a misguided idea and when I evaluate this pickup as a Right Tackle, I have to watch that Cleveland tape and be honest about it, this is not a good pick up as a Right Tackle.

However, if I'm to go back to his 2010 tape as a Washington Redskin and evaluate him as a Right Guard, it's a different evaluation.

There are consistent issues with hand technique that some of the better, quicker defensive tackles in the league can take advantage of in pass pro. This is probably his biggest, most concerning negative as a Right Guard. He's more of a punch/hug guy than a lock/steer guy and he drops his hands a lot after blows, leaves him open to counters and hand moves either to the inside or outside. As a Right Tackle way out on an island this was a pretty big problem. As a Right Guard it's much less a problem because of the tighter spaces. He's able to use his natural mobility to recover and prevent the worst from happening. The Center also ends up having a lot of opportunity to come over and guard his inside shoulder in zone protection if he gives it up because of this problem.

But make no mistake as a Right Guard I saw zero anchor problems. None. Very, very, very strong player. Can keep guys at bay with one hand.

He's also got above average mobility for a Right Guard and can really get lateral quickly either to recover after a successful counter or to work the hand-offs in zone protection.

He's a bad puller, doesn't have the athleticism to turn his shoulders and run out then turn back, find a guy, etc. He can pull from back side to play side but it's not great and then when he does other pulls like kick outs and stuff, it's bad.

On the other hand getting a release out to the second level is actually decent. It's not bad, mediocre level which means he gets out there, gets his hands on people and actually runs successful interference. He will have trouble making some of your more challenging second level blocks like back side cut offs at the second level rather than just at the defensive line level, but otherwise he's decent at this because he's got a good straight ahead burst off the ball. What prevents him from being better than decent at it is that he's just not a great athlete so he doesn't have the horsepower to really get out there and drive through contact at the second level.

He's got some veteran savvy in him on zone plays, knows how to let defensive linemen working against themselves with their momentum.

His being more of a punch/hug guy rather than a lock/steer guy probably prevents him from being an elite level run blocker.

Good straight ahead power in short yardage because he's a good cut blocker. Has good body control going low. In short yardage he gets his helmet in the right spot and gets his shoulder pads right down on a guy's thighs, actually forcing real movement off the ball which is difficult to do. He's an effective cut blocker too, even at the second level. He can get out to the second level and cut the Mike linebacker.

I have to say, I see plenty of OLs out there that are just a waste of space. He's not that.

Overall I see him as between an average and above-average Right Guard that can't stay healthy and is 33 years old, so really what you're looking for out of him is to be no more than a bridge to whichever younger guy you're grooming for your system.
well according to this report ,he better not get his azz in a boxing ring.

Back
Top Bottom