Artis Hicks agrees to contract with Dolphins/ pending physical | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Artis Hicks agrees to contract with Dolphins/ pending physical

Good GM's don't go signing some player for $2 million a year that is 33 years old and as dlockz said the guy never had much to begin with.They pick up these type of players for the minimum when veterans are cut during training camp.

This signing smells of Colombo part II.

Oh I forgot how good of a job Ireland has done here with all the draft picks and wasted money he's spent on the Oline since he became the Dolphins GM

It isn't some player. He is a veteran OLineman who has experience in a zone blocking scheme and can play OT/OG. He started for the Eagles when they were in the Super Bowl/west coast offense. Everybody is saying some player when many of us have no idea of what kind of player he is. All I'm saying is there is reasoning behind the signing, nothing is guaranteed and many of these GM's also cut these type of players before the season starts and then bring them back at that "vet minimum" after week 1.

Look I know Ireland hasn't been great, but this is a Philbin call here. This is for the Jerry's, Murthas and Garners on the team to have a veteran teach them the ropes in a zone blocking scheme.

I HATED the Colombo signing as a starter from day 1 and I made that more than known . . . but I don't know much about Hicks and honestly neither do most of the people on this site . . . I'm looking at why he was brought in and he'll compete in camp just like everybody else.

Unless we go T in the 1st, he'll probably end up starting. Think on that...

Colombo part II.:sidelol:

It wouldn't surprise me now Ireland resigns Colombo and let him and Hicks battle it out for the RT spot.Then Ireland can draft a DE with the 1st pick.:sidelol:

How about we wait for the draft or June 1st cuts to sign this type of player.
Why wait? Don't we have minicamps where our younger OLineman who haven't been in a zone blocking scheme can already start picking Hick's brain about some of traits of running more of a west coast offense? The contract isn't guaranteed and we still can pick up OL after the draft and after the June 1st cuts.

Why wait? Don't we have minicamps where our younger OLineman who haven't been in a zone blocking scheme can already start picking Hick's brain about some of traits of running more of a west coast offense? The contract isn't guaranteed and we still can pick up OL after the draft and after the June 1st cuts.

We dont have an offensive line coach or Philben who should be able to handle that, Im pretty sure there are better players that have played in a zone blocking scheme available to pick thier brain instead of this bottom barrel player

Based on what I have seen I think this is our Day 1 starter at Right Guard if he is healthy. That's a big IF because injuries have plagued him throughout his career. You all would know him by reputation a lot better if he weren't so injury prone, I think.

I saw him play Right Tackle with Cleveland in 2011. That was very clearly out of position for him, not a good idea at all. I guess that was their need, but even so, it was a misguided idea and when I evaluate this pickup as a Right Tackle, I have to watch that Cleveland tape and be honest about it, this is not a good pick up as a Right Tackle.

However, if I'm to go back to his 2010 tape as a Washington Redskin and evaluate him as a Right Guard, it's a different evaluation.

There are consistent issues with hand technique that some of the better, quicker defensive tackles in the league can take advantage of in pass pro. This is probably his biggest, most concerning negative as a Right Guard. He's more of a punch/hug guy than a lock/steer guy and he drops his hands a lot after blows, leaves him open to counters and hand moves either to the inside or outside. As a Right Tackle way out on an island this was a pretty big problem. As a Right Guard it's much less a problem because of the tighter spaces. He's able to use his natural mobility to recover and prevent the worst from happening. The Center also ends up having a lot of opportunity to come over and guard his inside shoulder in zone protection if he gives it up because of this problem.

But make no mistake as a Right Guard I saw zero anchor problems. None. Very, very, very strong player. Can keep guys at bay with one hand.

He's also got above average mobility for a Right Guard and can really get lateral quickly either to recover after a successful counter or to work the hand-offs in zone protection.

He's a bad puller, doesn't have the athleticism to turn his shoulders and run out then turn back, find a guy, etc. He can pull from back side to play side but it's not great and then when he does other pulls like kick outs and stuff, it's bad.

On the other hand getting a release out to the second level is actually decent. It's not bad, mediocre level which means he gets out there, gets his hands on people and actually runs successful interference. He will have trouble making some of your more challenging second level blocks like back side cut offs at the second level rather than just at the defensive line level, but otherwise he's decent at this because he's got a good straight ahead burst off the ball. What prevents him from being better than decent at it is that he's just not a great athlete so he doesn't have the horsepower to really get out there and drive through contact at the second level.

He's got some veteran savvy in him on zone plays, knows how to let defensive linemen working against themselves with their momentum.

His being more of a punch/hug guy rather than a lock/steer guy probably prevents him from being an elite level run blocker.

Good straight ahead power in short yardage because he's a good cut blocker. Has good body control going low. In short yardage he gets his helmet in the right spot and gets his shoulder pads right down on a guy's thighs, actually forcing real movement off the ball which is difficult to do. He's an effective cut blocker too, even at the second level. He can get out to the second level and cut the Mike linebacker.

I have to say, I see plenty of OLs out there that are just a waste of space. He's not that.

Overall I see him as between an average and above-average Right Guard that can't stay healthy and is 33 years old, so really what you're looking for out of him is to be no more than a bridge to whichever younger guy you're grooming for your system.

Last edited by a moderator:
We dont have an offensive line coach or Philben who should be able to handle that, Im pretty sure there are better players that have played in a zone blocking scheme available to pick thier brain instead of this bottom barrel player

Yea there probably are, but maybe this is a guy Philbin wanted. The contract isn't guaranteed, the signing bonus is probably 5 figures . . . extremely low risk signing here.

Yea there probably are, but maybe this is a guy Philbin wanted. The contract isn't guaranteed, the signing bonus is probably 5 figures . . . extremely low risk signing here.

I just think like I said in another post there are younger and better players that have experience in this scheme but you could be right about Philben. Just feels like going into dollar store and paying 2.00 for a 1.00 item is all

Based on what I have seen I think this is our Day 1 starter at Right Guard if he is healthy. That's a big IF because injuries have plagued him throughout his career. You all would know him by reputation a lot better if he weren't so injury prone, I think.

I saw him play Right Tackle with Cleveland in 2011. That was very clearly out of position for him, not a good idea at all. I guess that was their need, but even so, it was a misguided idea and when I evaluate this pickup as a Right Tackle, I have to watch that Cleveland tape and be honest about it, this is not a good pick up as a Right Tackle.

However, if I'm to go back to his 2010 tape as a Washington Redskin and evaluate him as a Right Guard, it's a different evaluation.

There are consistent issues with hand technique that some of the better, quicker defensive tackles in the league can take advantage of in pass pro. This is probably his biggest, most concerning negative as a Right Guard. He's more of a punch/hug guy than a lock/steer guy and he drops his hands a lot after blows, leaves him open to counters and hand moves either to the inside or outside. As a Right Tackle way out on an island this was a pretty big problem. As a Right Guard it's much less a problem because of the tighter spaces. He's able to use his natural mobility to recover and prevent the worst from happening. The Center also ends up having a lot of opportunity to come over and guard his inside shoulder in zone protection if he gives it up because of this problem.

But make no mistake as a Right Guard I saw zero anchor problems. None. Very, very, very strong player. Can keep guys at bay with one hand.

He's also got above average mobility for a Right Guard and can really get lateral quickly either to recover after a successful counter or to work the hand-offs in zone protection.

He's a bad puller, doesn't have the athleticism to turn his shoulders and run out then turn back, find a guy, etc. He can pull from back side to play side but it's not great and then when he does other pulls like kick outs and stuff, it's bad.

On the other hand getting a release out to the second level is actually decent. It's not bad, mediocre level which means he gets out there, gets his hands on people and actually runs successful interference. He will have trouble making some of your more challenging second level blocks like back side cut offs at the second level rather than just at the defensive line level, but otherwise he's decent at this because he's got a good straight ahead burst off the ball. What prevents him from being better than decent at it is that he's just not a great athlete so he doesn't have the horsepower to really get out there and drive through contact at the second level.

He's got some veteran savvy in him on zone plays, knows how to let defensive linemen working against themselves with their momentum.

His being more of a punch/hug guy rather than a lock/steer guy probably prevents him from being an elite level run blocker.

Good straight ahead power in short yardage because he's a good cut blocker. Has good body control going low. In short yardage he gets his helmet in the right spot and gets his shoulder pads right down on a guy's thighs, actually forcing real movement off the ball which is difficult to do. He's an effective cut blocker too, even at the second level. He can get out to the second level and cut the Mike linebacker.

I have to say, I see plenty of OLs out there that are just a waste of space. He's not that.

Overall I see him as between an average and above-average Right Guard that can't stay healthy and is 33 years old, so really what you're looking for out of him is to be no more than a bridge to whichever younger guy you're grooming for your system.

Truthfully the only valid opinion in here, because you clearly are the only person in this thread that has put in the time and watched him on film. Thanks for the insight CK . . . from what I have been reading about him, health definitely seems to be the biggest concern. Would be awesome if we found our starting RG with this signing, I'm guessing Jerry/Murtha for RT if Winston doesn't happen . . . or maybe Murtha at LG and bye bye Incogs at almost 3 million. Incogs in a zone blocking scheme doesn't sound like it would work. Is he athletic enough?

Truthfully the only valid opinion in here, because you clearly are the only person in this thread that has put in the time and watched him on film. Thanks for the insight CK . . . from what I have been reading about him, health definitely seems to be the biggest concern. Would be awesome if we found our starting RG with this signing, I'm guessing Jerry/Murtha for RT if Winston doesn't happen . . . or maybe Murtha at LG and bye bye Incogs at almost 3 million. Incogs in a zone blocking scheme doesn't sound like it would work. Is he athletic enough?

I think plenty of people have seen Hicks play, i havent seen film on him because of course nobody is sending film but his play has regressed and he is now bouncing from roster to roster. lasted one year in washington after signing a threee year contract. Was not effective at all last year in Cleveland. Hasnt been a good player since he left Minnesota . if he is our starting guard our line is no better than last year and in fact might be worse.

:bobdole:

Of course, any signing that isn't a 25 year old All-Pro willing to sign at the veteran minimum is blasted, particularly by our resident Debbie Downer. People can't just accept a depth signing for what it is, gotta complain about everything...

I think plenty of people have seen Hicks play, i havent seen film on him because of course nobody is sending film but his play has regressed and he is now bouncing from roster to roster. lasted one year in washington after signing a threee year contract. Was not effective at all last year in Cleveland. Hasnt been a good player since he left Minnesota . if he is our starting guard our line is no better than last year and in fact might be worse.

We played Cleveland last year, I wonder how many people remember any play he was involved with from that game. How many do you think would remember something about Hicks from that game, let alone anything from his career? How many people knew him before today? You are giving people on this board alot of credit if you think they know any relevant information about Hicks. Hell even CK had to dig up stuff on him as he didn't know much of anything about him either.

:bobdole:

Of course, any signing that isn't a 25 year old All-Pro willing to sign at the veteran minimum is blasted, particularly by our resident Debbie Downer. People can't just accept a depth signing for what it is, gotta complain about everything...

Of course, and I wouldn't even waste my time but I got the day off tomorrow and I can't sleep so may as well get into it with DLo a little bit. All in good fun for me . . . and him I'm guessing :lol:

We played Cleveland last year, I wonder how many people remember any play he was involved with from that game. How many do you think would remember something about Hicks from that game, let alone anything from his career? How many people knew him before today? You are giving people on this board alot of credit if you think they know any relevant information about Hicks. Hell even CK had to dig up stuff on him as he didn't know much of anything about him either.

Well here is some easy relevant info two teams with major oline problems have cut him in two years . I remember Hicks when he had to play against Peppers when McKinnie got benched and it was fun to watch if you were a Carolina fan lol.

As for Locke once again you have nothing relevant to say so continue with your spiel.

Well here is some easy relevant info two teams with major oline problems have cut him in two years . I remember Hicks when he had to play against Peppers when McKinnie got benched and it was fun to watch if you were a Carolina fan lol.

As for Locke once again you have nothing relevant to say so continue with your spiel.

Well then, we may have found the one thing we have in common...

Back
Top Bottom