As the Smokescreen clears, Chris Long is left standing | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As the Smokescreen clears, Chris Long is left standing

TrinidadDolfan

1st Team All-Pro
Reaction score
The more I see what is happening, the more I believe that BP wants Chris Long. Here are my thoughts:

Fact: You want to get the player you really want for the lowest salary.

The way to do that would not be to negotiate with him FIRST, as BP & company have done with Jake Long. You want to negotiate with the player you want AFTER you have negotiated contracts with Long and Goldston and basically say "hey, we can get these guys for X, but if you sign for Y we would be interested in taking you as well. We would make you an instant star by being the 1st pick in the 2008 draft (instant media & endorsement appeal=$$$), and you would make a lot more money by signing this contract that if you were picked at #3 or #4 or #5.

You try and go in with as much negotiating power as you can. This was not done in Jake Long's case, so I think that talking to his agent is a ruse, pure and simple.

Next step: in we walk to Goldston's camp with the same speech....we love you as a player, just like we do Jake Long, haven't decided to go Offence or Defence as yet, can we work something out? etc... Talk the numbers and draw some interest.

Step 3: ignore Mc Fadden/Dorsey/Ryan.....no one seems to buy that we will draft either of these 3. Don't spoil the credibility of the previous moves by becoming unbelievable.

Final Step: Walk into Chris Long's camp and say hey, can we work something out? We have things ironed out with Jake Long and Goldston (who, some people believe has WAY more upside than you by the way), but what would it take to have you instead of them?

Chris then realizes the very real possibility of being drafted #3/4/5 instead of #1.....and hopefully lowers the #1 asking price on his contract.

This could very well be the case and the strategy of BP and our Fins. Negotiate with the player we really want after building negotiating power with J. Long & Goldston.

My personal feeling is that BP wants Chris Long in our lineup because, after QB, there is no more 1 important position on the field than the defensive player that can hurry/worry/smack the opposing team's QB...creating havoc and chaos.

He may feel as though Chris Long can do that. And while Goldston is freakish in his ability, it is too scary to pick (as #1) a player that has a "questionable" desire to play 100% every down. Unless his heart is in the game, I don't want him, period.

The smokescreen is in full swing, but after it clears and Goodell steps to the podium to announce the #1 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the screen will lift.....and the only player left standing will be.............. Chris Long.

That's possible, but the only flaw in that scenario is that Chris Long probably doesn't fall to 5 or 6 if we don't pick him. He probably falls no lower than the Rams, so we wouldn't have a ton of leverage.

I agree, thats still an option.

But dude, its spelled Gholston for goodness sake.

That's possible, but the only flaw in that scenario is that Chris Long probably doesn't fall to 5 or 6 if we don't pick him. He probably falls no lower than the Rams, so we wouldn't have a ton of leverage.

Agreed, if we dont take him the Rams will.

point made, but still a big drop between #1 and #3 money.

And...if you factor in the product endorsement money, it's an even larger difference.

Lord, wish there was a rookie cap!!!!

pssst ... Rams pick second.

The more I see what is happening, the more I believe that BP wants Chris Long. Here are my thoughts:

Fact: You want to get the player you really want for the lowest salary.

The way to do that would not be to negotiate with him FIRST, as BP & company have done with Jake Long. You want to negotiate with the player you want AFTER you have negotiated contracts with Long and Goldston and basically say "hey, we can get these guys for X, but if you sign for Y we would be interested in taking you as well. We would make you an instant star by being the 1st pick in the 2008 draft (instant media & endorsement appeal=$$$), and you would make a lot more money by signing this contract that if you were picked at #3 or #4 or #5.

You try and go in with as much negotiating power as you can. This was not done in Jake Long's case, so I think that talking to his agent is a ruse, pure and simple.

Next step: in we walk to Goldston's camp with the same speech....we love you as a player, just like we do Jake Long, haven't decided to go Offence or Defence as yet, can we work something out? etc... Talk the numbers and draw some interest.

Step 3: ignore Mc Fadden/Dorsey/Ryan.....no one seems to buy that we will draft either of these 3. Don't spoil the credibility of the previous moves by becoming unbelievable.

Final Step: Walk into Chris Long's camp and say hey, can we work something out? We have things ironed out with Jake Long and Goldston (who, some people believe has WAY more upside than you by the way), but what would it take to have you instead of them?

Chris then realizes the very real possibility of being drafted #3/4/5 instead of #1.....and hopefully lowers the #1 asking price on his contract.

This could very well be the case and the strategy of BP and our Fins. Negotiate with the player we really want after building negotiating power with J. Long & Goldston.

My personal feeling is that BP wants Chris Long in our lineup because, after QB, there is no more 1 important position on the field than the defensive player that can hurry/worry/smack the opposing team's QB...creating havoc and chaos.

He may feel as though Chris Long can do that. And while Goldston is freakish in his ability, it is too scary to pick (as #1) a player that has a "questionable" desire to play 100% every down. Unless his heart is in the game, I don't want him, period.

The smokescreen is in full swing, but after it clears and Goodell steps to the podium to announce the #1 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the screen will lift.....and the only player left standing will be.............. Chris Long.

Your theory is beleiveable, but way to extreme. The whole purpose of someone wanting to get picked at #1 is because of the money involved. Chris Long will not sign with us for cheaper when he knows he can get the same amount of money being signed @ #2 or #3 if we offer big contracts to Jake Long.

I think your theory is more wishful thinking. I am one of those finfans that want Gholston, but I would be ok with Jake Long.

Yeah man bargin chips. So do ya want to go #1 overall or don't ya. These guys want this much but will you take this much and be #1 overall?

I think theres merit to what your suggesting, however, the other obvious reason to do what they are doing is to target the players most likely to inspire someone to trade up to secure.

Hence, their hope could be to inspire the Rams to trade up a spot to get Jake Long, and they could still get Chris Long at #2, or some other similar scenario.

The Rams will pick Jake Long if he is available at #2, they might be willing to swap a pick with us if us if they can guarantee that they get Jake.

is feasible. but then again people are going to concoct all kinds of hair brained schemes if it leads them to the conclusion that we pick whatever guy they want. this is the first of many.

I see two big holes on the OL. Thats all I see. Didnt even read your take. No need to.

Or, Miami could really want Jake Long first and go into the meetins saying

"Hey, you are our guy what would it take to get you here. We came to you 1st. We don't wanna play games and see what the other guys want, because we want you. What are your demands" Thus, in essence creating a respect and maybe making Jake Long willing to take less

I mean it could be spun either way

Or maybe they don't think Chris Long is as good as Jake Long, Gholston or Dorsey. I don't.

I see two big holes on the OL. Thats all I see. Didnt even read your take. No need to.

Exactly.

How many starting holes are there at LB'ER for us right now? 0

How many on the d-line? 0

How many on the O-LINE? 2

Even if we trade Taylor it's still less of a need then the O-line is

Back
Top Bottom