As the Smokescreen clears, Chris Long is left standing | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As the Smokescreen clears, Chris Long is left standing

The more I see what is happening, the more I believe that BP wants Chris Long. Here are my thoughts:

Fact: You want to get the player you really want for the lowest salary.

The way to do that would not be to negotiate with him FIRST, as BP & company have done with Jake Long. You want to negotiate with the player you want AFTER you have negotiated contracts with Long and Goldston and basically say "hey, we can get these guys for X, but if you sign for Y we would be interested in taking you as well. We would make you an instant star by being the 1st pick in the 2008 draft (instant media & endorsement appeal=$$$), and you would make a lot more money by signing this contract that if you were picked at #3 or #4 or #5.

You try and go in with as much negotiating power as you can. This was not done in Jake Long's case, so I think that talking to his agent is a ruse, pure and simple.

Next step: in we walk to Goldston's camp with the same speech....we love you as a player, just like we do Jake Long, haven't decided to go Offence or Defence as yet, can we work something out? etc... Talk the numbers and draw some interest.

Step 3: ignore Mc Fadden/Dorsey/Ryan.....no one seems to buy that we will draft either of these 3. Don't spoil the credibility of the previous moves by becoming unbelievable.

Final Step: Walk into Chris Long's camp and say hey, can we work something out? We have things ironed out with Jake Long and Goldston (who, some people believe has WAY more upside than you by the way), but what would it take to have you instead of them?

Chris then realizes the very real possibility of being drafted #3/4/5 instead of #1.....and hopefully lowers the #1 asking price on his contract.

This could very well be the case and the strategy of BP and our Fins. Negotiate with the player we really want after building negotiating power with J. Long & Goldston.

My personal feeling is that BP wants Chris Long in our lineup because, after QB, there is no more 1 important position on the field than the defensive player that can hurry/worry/smack the opposing team's QB...creating havoc and chaos.

He may feel as though Chris Long can do that. And while Goldston is freakish in his ability, it is too scary to pick (as #1) a player that has a "questionable" desire to play 100% every down. Unless his heart is in the game, I don't want him, period.

The smokescreen is in full swing, but after it clears and Goodell steps to the podium to announce the #1 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the screen will lift.....and the only player left standing will be.............. Chris Long.

You're reading way too much into this.

Our FO is going to negotiate with all of the players we want to take #1. The fact that we can go with someone else is where the leverage comes into play.

The myth around here is that BP has had his pick since early on, and everything is smokescreens and misdirection, but it's much more likely that our FO is simply working overtime to figure out who's the best pick since there is no consensus #1 pick. So it took a lot of time, and a lot of homework on each player to determine who's the best fit. Once they had that settled, then they start talking cost with all the players.

We're going to talk to all of the guys we deemed worthy of #1, and choose the player that provides the best combination of value, need, and cost.

The more I see what is happening, the more I believe that BP wants Chris Long. Here are my thoughts:

Fact: You want to get the player you really want for the lowest salary.

The way to do that would not be to negotiate with him FIRST, as BP & company have done with Jake Long. You want to negotiate with the player you want AFTER you have negotiated contracts with Long and Goldston and basically say "hey, we can get these guys for X, but if you sign for Y we would be interested in taking you as well. We would make you an instant star by being the 1st pick in the 2008 draft (instant media & endorsement appeal=$$$), and you would make a lot more money by signing this contract that if you were picked at #3 or #4 or #5.

You try and go in with as much negotiating power as you can. This was not done in Jake Long's case, so I think that talking to his agent is a ruse, pure and simple.

Next step: in we walk to Goldston's camp with the same speech....we love you as a player, just like we do Jake Long, haven't decided to go Offence or Defence as yet, can we work something out? etc... Talk the numbers and draw some interest.

Step 3: ignore Mc Fadden/Dorsey/Ryan.....no one seems to buy that we will draft either of these 3. Don't spoil the credibility of the previous moves by becoming unbelievable.

Final Step: Walk into Chris Long's camp and say hey, can we work something out? We have things ironed out with Jake Long and Goldston (who, some people believe has WAY more upside than you by the way), but what would it take to have you instead of them?

Chris then realizes the very real possibility of being drafted #3/4/5 instead of #1.....and hopefully lowers the #1 asking price on his contract.

This could very well be the case and the strategy of BP and our Fins. Negotiate with the player we really want after building negotiating power with J. Long & Goldston.

My personal feeling is that BP wants Chris Long in our lineup because, after QB, there is no more 1 important position on the field than the defensive player that can hurry/worry/smack the opposing team's QB...creating havoc and chaos.

He may feel as though Chris Long can do that. And while Goldston is freakish in his ability, it is too scary to pick (as #1) a player that has a "questionable" desire to play 100% every down. Unless his heart is in the game, I don't want him, period.

The smokescreen is in full swing, but after it clears and Goodell steps to the podium to announce the #1 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the screen will lift.....and the only player left standing will be.............. Chris Long.

OR... you start with Jake Long to see where he and his agent are at. If they refuse to come down off their demands, you say "ok, well we're gonna talk to someone else." You have that starting point, get the other guys to drop just below it one by one, and come back to Jake Long and say "We're ready to take Player X, because he's willing to take this much" in an attempt to get him to come down again

Basically, my point is that just because they start with a player, that doesn't mean they don't intend to come back to him at some point.

you can only say it logically so many times before it gets irritating. if we draft for depth with the #1 pick i will freak the fugg out. JL just makes the most sense. and i am a way bigger fan of defense, so for me to see this is really saying something.

Can you make a you tube of you freaking the fugg out ?? I might just be fun to watch .:lol:

hell, i can hardly operate a keyboard. but if i did, you could co star and we could call it 'box of rocks'.

Lets say if they draft anyone but the long's most of this forums would have footage freaking out on you tube.:lol:

Besides, we are looking at LB'ers anyways. You know, guys like Conner, Graves ect.... Some of us can actually put two and two together. for everyone else, its just a pom pom act.

We are looking at a bunch of people from all kinds areas. Wow you can add too maybe they should send you to do thier contracts.

Thats easy, 6 years slightly more gauranteed than last years #1 for 50 mil. Take it or leave it. If they are smart, they take it, cus if they go #2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or now it starts to get insane 6 or 7...then you lose alot of friggin money.

Maybe Parcells is opening up the negotiations with Jake Long because he is #1 on their list and they want to gauge what his agent is looking at in terms of dollars....after this they will talk with the others, but then they will go back to their first choice:

JAKE LONG

TD, your post was spot-on so pay no attention to the naysayers. There's no way I see BP passing on Chris.

Chris Long? :sidelol:

Matty Ice is the pick. We just want him to sweat a little and take less money.

I say we negotiate with all 32 top prospects then all the teams will be paranoid thinking we are talking to the player they want then we just sit back and watch the offers roll in . Its also a plus if we decide to keep the pick because with us negiotiating with 32 prospects we can low ball one off the other : "Mr. Long I have Felix Jones here that says he will sign for half that price! "

we arent going to get out of paying a huge salary and if any of you think that we will take a player becasue the one we want wont back off his price u r dead wrong. IMO billy p had nothing to gain by doing this except get a ball park of what the guys ( j and c) r looking for. gholston is joke and there just to cause competition. i say the only thing that this means is that billy b recognizes jake as his #1 and is trying to get it done, this isnt a lock and i wouldnt be at all surprised if we pick chris. i dont c billy b being that cute, i dont c too much we can gain all the rooks know what they are getting and how much can we posibly save in negotiations.

Don't pick the best player, pick the cheapest.

Great it's the Walmart Dolphins.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom