As the Smokescreen clears, Chris Long is left standing | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As the Smokescreen clears, Chris Long is left standing

i want gholston or jake, so i hope your wrong but im sure that is how the game is played but that is why there are agents, they dont fall for those type of games

FinFan54 says I see two holes in the Oline and thats it but his his draft goes # Jake Long, #32 Curtis Lofton #57 Henne #64 Bennett #100 Crable #295 Rinehart wow thats a terrible fix at Oline how about #1 Jake Long #32 Cherilus,Nicks,Baker or even #1 Jake #32 Groves #57 Schenuing,Greco,Radovich,Young any of these I dont think Rhinehart will fix any oline probs we have The Oline if it is to be solid is to be 2 of the first 4 picks. Hopefully Long,Cherilus or Long Nicks

While there is a chance that Parcells is using the J. Long / V. Gholston negotiations as a means to entice C. Long to enter the mix, there's been no contact with him / his agent at this time. Maybe in the coming week that will change, but right now there's nothing pointing to Miami drafting C. Long at #1 overall....

Personally, I think our interest in OT J. Long is genuine. He's the safest player to draft at number one overall in my opinion, and heading into the future, securing the OL is going to be vital for our offensive success...

IN TUNA WE TRUST!!

The more I see what is happening, the more I believe that BP wants Chris Long. Here are my thoughts:

Fact: You want to get the player you really want for the lowest salary.

The way to do that would not be to negotiate with him FIRST, as BP & company have done with Jake Long. You want to negotiate with the player you want AFTER you have negotiated contracts with Long and Goldston and basically say "hey, we can get these guys for X, but if you sign for Y we would be interested in taking you as well. We would make you an instant star by being the 1st pick in the 2008 draft (instant media & endorsement appeal=$$$), and you would make a lot more money by signing this contract that if you were picked at #3 or #4 or #5.

You try and go in with as much negotiating power as you can. This was not done in Jake Long's case, so I think that talking to his agent is a ruse, pure and simple.

Next step: in we walk to Goldston's camp with the same speech....we love you as a player, just like we do Jake Long, haven't decided to go Offence or Defence as yet, can we work something out? etc... Talk the numbers and draw some interest.

Step 3: ignore Mc Fadden/Dorsey/Ryan.....no one seems to buy that we will draft either of these 3. Don't spoil the credibility of the previous moves by becoming unbelievable.

Final Step: Walk into Chris Long's camp and say hey, can we work something out? We have things ironed out with Jake Long and Goldston (who, some people believe has WAY more upside than you by the way), but what would it take to have you instead of them?

Chris then realizes the very real possibility of being drafted #3/4/5 instead of #1.....and hopefully lowers the #1 asking price on his contract.

This could very well be the case and the strategy of BP and our Fins. Negotiate with the player we really want after building negotiating power with J. Long & Goldston.

My personal feeling is that BP wants Chris Long in our lineup because, after QB, there is no more 1 important position on the field than the defensive player that can hurry/worry/smack the opposing team's QB...creating havoc and chaos.

He may feel as though Chris Long can do that. And while Goldston is freakish in his ability, it is too scary to pick (as #1) a player that has a "questionable" desire to play 100% every down. Unless his heart is in the game, I don't want him, period.

The smokescreen is in full swing, but after it clears and Goodell steps to the podium to announce the #1 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the screen will lift.....and the only player left standing will be.............. Chris Long.

Based on this quantum theory I guess J.Long should have refused to negotiate until he was the last...? :rolleyes:

The more I see what is happening, the more I believe that BP wants Chris Long. Here are my thoughts:

Fact: You want to get the player you really want for the lowest salary.

The way to do that would not be to negotiate with him FIRST, as BP & company have done with Jake Long. You want to negotiate with the player you want AFTER you have negotiated contracts with Long and Goldston and basically say "hey, we can get these guys for X, but if you sign for Y we would be interested in taking you as well. We would make you an instant star by being the 1st pick in the 2008 draft (instant media & endorsement appeal=$$$), and you would make a lot more money by signing this contract that if you were picked at #3 or #4 or #5.

You try and go in with as much negotiating power as you can. This was not done in Jake Long's case, so I think that talking to his agent is a ruse, pure and simple.

Next step: in we walk to Goldston's camp with the same speech....we love you as a player, just like we do Jake Long, haven't decided to go Offence or Defence as yet, can we work something out? etc... Talk the numbers and draw some interest.

Step 3: ignore Mc Fadden/Dorsey/Ryan.....no one seems to buy that we will draft either of these 3. Don't spoil the credibility of the previous moves by becoming unbelievable.

Final Step: Walk into Chris Long's camp and say hey, can we work something out? We have things ironed out with Jake Long and Goldston (who, some people believe has WAY more upside than you by the way), but what would it take to have you instead of them?

Chris then realizes the very real possibility of being drafted #3/4/5 instead of #1.....and hopefully lowers the #1 asking price on his contract.

This could very well be the case and the strategy of BP and our Fins. Negotiate with the player we really want after building negotiating power with J. Long & Goldston.

My personal feeling is that BP wants Chris Long in our lineup because, after QB, there is no more 1 important position on the field than the defensive player that can hurry/worry/smack the opposing team's QB...creating havoc and chaos.

He may feel as though Chris Long can do that. And while Goldston is freakish in his ability, it is too scary to pick (as #1) a player that has a "questionable" desire to play 100% every down. Unless his heart is in the game, I don't want him, period.

The smokescreen is in full swing, but after it clears and Goodell steps to the podium to announce the #1 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the screen will lift.....and the only player left standing will be.............. Chris Long.

Good Lord, it never ends. It's like a disease really.

First when Jake Long at #1 started to pick up steam, he wasn't good enough to play LT and would be a "decent" RT... :rolleyes2:

Now that we are in ACTUAL CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS with Jake Long, it's a smoke screen. :sidelol:

I cant wait for the freaking draft at this point. Then maybe we can start a support group for all of the Chris Long bobbleheads.

While there is a chance that Parcells is using the J. Long / V. Gholston negotiations as a means to entice C. Long to enter the mix, there's been no contact with him / his agent at this time. Maybe in the coming week that will change, but right now there's nothing pointing to Miami drafting C. Long at #1 overall....

I hear you, but I think that the "no contact" issue with Chris Long will change real soon.

If I had a whole lot of money on the table I would bet that Chris' agent will get a call within the next 7 days or so.

Good Lord, it never ends. It's like a disease really.

First when Jake Long at #1 started to pick up steam, he wasn't good enough to play LT and would be a "decent" RT... :rolleyes2:

Now that we are in ACTUAL CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS with Jake Long, it's a smoke screen. :sidelol:

I cant wait for the freaking draft at this point. Then maybe we can start a support group for all of the Chris Long bobbleheads.

Hey, for the record, I DO believe that Jake will be a GREAT LT in the league. What I post has nothing to do with Jake's ability or future in the NFL.

What I am posting has to do with how I see BP playing his cards and picking his player.

Laugh all you want, but if BP wants Jake and NOONE else, why is he talking to Gholdston's agent? Now you laughing at the "smokescreen" theory doesn't seem so funny now does it? Hmmmmm......

I hear you, but I think that the "no contact" issue with Chris Long will change real soon.

If I had a whole lot of money on the table I would bet that Chris' agent will get a call within the next 7 days or so.

You'd be broke.

You'd be broke.

why all the animosity? Sheesh, people on this board would rather see real contibutions rather than snide remarks, don't you think?

Put your man-crush for Jake aside and lets get back to talking football objectively

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
Hey, for the record, I DO believe that Jake will be a GREAT LT in the league. What I post has nothing to do with Jake's ability or future in the NFL. [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']What I am posting has to do with how I see BP playing his cards and picking his player.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Laugh all you want, but if BP wants Jake and NOONE else, why is he talking to Gholston's agent? Now you laughing at the "smokescreen" theory doesn't seem so funny now does it? Hmmmmm......
[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Actually it's freaking hilarious that somehow talking to Long and Gholston ends in the "logical" conclusion that Chris Long is the pick.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']At this point a trade down will be nearly impossible. So why would we be going through the constant "smokescreens"? Chances are that Gholston or Long will be the pick.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
why all the animosity? Sheesh, people on this board would rather see real contibutions rather than snide remarks, don't you think?[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Put your man-crush for Jake aside and lets get back to talking football objectively
[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Haha thats not animosity. Sorry if you took it that way. It just seems that the conspiracy theories on how the Phins will pick Chris Long have gotten wilder as the days go by. It's not you in particular, just that allot of CL supporters seem to think that there isn’t another player in this draft that can hold his jock.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I wouldn’t be upset at all at CL, but I just think JL makes the most sense for the team right now...[/FONT] :hi5:

^Thats odd... ??

yeah, odd font.

Hey, you know at some point we just gotta "believe".

Believe that the Fins have staff that know a hell of a lot more about these players than we do, after all, their college scouts do this for a living right?

They eat/breathe/live this stuff.

At the end of the day I will believe in Parcells and support whoever he picks.

Fins Forever

yeah, odd font.

Hey, you know at some point we just gotta "believe".

Believe that the Fins have staff that know a hell of a lot more about these players than we do, after all, their college scouts do this for a living right?

They eat/breathe/live this stuff.

At the end of the day I will believe in Parcells and support whoever he picks.

Fins Forever

Now there's something we can all get behind... :hi5:

Back
Top Bottom