Asiata | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Asiata

Ajai development and teams winning in general means I'm spending my FA morning on starting young LG,C,RG no more wasting the best most dependable player on the roster.

I have no doubt he's better than Bushrod. I don't have blind trust in Gase's roster evaluation when it comes to determining if a younger player is ready for action, after he rolled with Arian Foster over Ajayi. And it took an injury to Maxwell to realize Tank was the superior option.

Maxwell benched himself with all the freelancing he was doing.

We're having these exact things with our veterans, wouldn't make a difference with Asiata. And after all it's still football. The game might be faster than in college but if the scheme is too complex to understand for a football player after six months, something's wrong with the scheme.

And yet there are many, many examples and 'testimonials' of players improving over time because the scheme becomes second nature to them and they simply act rather than think and then act...

And I'm not happy with the veteran guard play now, but that does not mean that it could not be worse. It could be worse.

Gase is terrible at evaluating talent, he's proven that time and time again. Our guards suck so we could really use a strong run mauler to solidify that line given that we mostly run it anyways. It does seem that the only way better or younger players are getting in starting spots is through injury sadly. It's a shame because I don't like being negative but we've been putting up with terrible decision makers for 10 years so what's new I guess. This seems eerily similar to the thomas/turner debacle, 2.0. Nice to see some younger players getting lumps though, really like watching tank play and I really wanted to watch Asiata live up to his reputation, I love that type of nasty football he's known for. Hope Moore doesn't get hurt behind those guards, I really like him as a player and I don't like seeing players get hurt but i was very happy to see Cutler go, never seen anybody so unhappy to make 10 million.

And yet we have the most talented roster we've had for years. And a significant portion of the talent is young. While we don't know exactly WHO is is most responsible for the solid inflow of talent since Gase started, we can be pretty certain that Gase has a voice in the decisions. Can you give me a unit that has not improved talent/execution wise from when Gase started...minus QB as you simply can't blame him for losing Tannehill. Oline needs to improve, but it was a trainwreck when Gase arrived...

And yet we have the most talented roster we've had for years. And a significant portion of the talent is young. While we don't know exactly WHO is is most responsible for the solid inflow of talent since Gase started, we can be pretty certain that Gase has a voice in the decisions. Can you give me a unit that has not improved talent/execution wise from when Gase started...minus QB as you simply can't blame him for losing Tannehill. Oline needs to improve, but it was a trainwreck when Gase arrived...

Oline has shockingly only got minorly better from Philbin years as bad as it was. TE also. Can't have great players at every position but its not even about who's on the roster since our talent buildup has been over many years. It's about who he starts that show to be very bad players and getting his offense and qb killed nonstop yet he still starts them. He could easily replace the guards with asiata and davis and thomas with gray which would improve the offense greatly, but he doesn't. Same thing happened with Ajayi, and tank and I'm sure a few others I forgot. There's really endless proof of his lack of talent recognition because what really matters is not the talent that's on the team, its does he recognize the best talent available and that is a clear no.

It's just amazing how some people here want us to draft 8 players and everyone of them has to start and be voted to the pro bowl or else they should be cut after a few games of their rookie year. Soliai took a few years. Wake had to go to Canada first and the list goes on and on. We're talking about a 5th round pick. He was not a first rounder. We have 3 rookie picks starting plus another one in the D-line rotation and that's even thought we lost our 2nd round pick for the year. I'm not the biggest fan of the FO that 4 guys playing every week and with RM it'd have been 5 but yet people are dumping on the 5th round pick....smh

Ozzy rules!!

Last edited:
As bad as he gets crushed on this site Julius Thomas is starting to make some plays for the Dolphins.

Oline has shockingly only got minorly better from Philbin years as bad as it was. TE also. Can't have great players at every position but its not even about who's on the roster since our talent buildup has been over many years. It's about who he starts that show to be very bad players and getting his offense and qb killed nonstop yet he still starts them. He could easily replace the guards with asiata and davis and thomas with gray which would improve the offense greatly, but he doesn't. Same thing happened with Ajayi, and tank and I'm sure a few others I forgot. There's really endless proof of his lack of talent recognition because what really matters is not the talent that's on the team, its does he recognize the best talent available and that is a clear no.

You say endless proof and give me Tankersly (who is starting as of the 4th game of his rookie year), Ajayi (who has started practically the whole length of Gase's tenure), Davis (who has split some snaps and come in as relief for Tunsil when he was injured) and Asiata. You then deduce that the guy who led us to a 10-6 record last year and a 4-2 start this year, with his guy at QB out for 9 of those games, is horrible at spotting talent. I think you're wrong, but if you're right he obviously makes up for this flaw somehow...

edit...forgot Gray (who I would rather see in for Thomas more)....but he gets a decent amount of plays and is def a project since he was a college QB

You say endless proof and give me Tankersly (who is starting as of the 4th game of his rookie year), Ajayi (who has started practically the whole length of Gase's tenure), Davis (who has split some snaps and come in as relief for Tunsil when he was injured) and Asiata. You then deduce that the guy who led us to a 10-6 record last year and a 4-2 start this year, with his guy at QB out for 9 of those games, is horrible at spotting talent. I think you're wrong, but if you're right he obviously makes up for this flaw somehow...

edit...forgot Gray (who I would rather see in for Thomas more)....but he gets a decent amount of plays and is def a project since he was a college QB

Im talking about how those guys were forced to start through injury or the starters leaving and played so good it was like slapping gase in the face with reality so he had to start them then. Not to mention he could of had Moore as the starter the whole time, who actually scores points. Or he could start gray who actually blocks, catches, and is young. Or he could replace bobby who while he has been better I still don't think he's good and definitely not better then verner I think the corners name is. Or he could replace the near thomas and turner guard level play with asiata who is a run blocking beast and davis who has proven to play well when give the chance, but he never will do these things because he either doesn't recognize blatantly bad or good play or is too much of an egomaniac to admit he was wrong to not start them in the first place, either way it's bad.

Im talking about how those guys were forced to start through injury or the starters leaving and played so good it was like slapping gase in the face with reality so he had to start them then. Not to mention he could of had Moore as the starter the whole time, who actually scores points. Or he could start gray who actually blocks, catches, and is young. Or he could replace bobby who while he has been better I still don't think he's good and definitely not better then verner I think the corners name is. Or he could replace the near thomas and turner guard level play with asiata who is a run blocking beast and davis who has proven to play well when give the chance, but he never will do these things because he either doesn't recognize blatantly bad or good play or is too much of an egomaniac to admit he was wrong to not start them in the first place, either way it's bad.

Your points really don't come close to justifying your initial statement that "Gase is terrible at evaluating talent, he's proven that time and time again." Who besides Moore has come in due to injury (or starters leaving??) and outplayed the starter?

I'm not a big McCain fan though I appreciated the hell out of him Sunday afternoon...but do you mean the Verner that was beat on a bomb the first play that he got on the field this season? Maybe that was an anomaly but Id hesitate to label him an obvious upgrade.

Maybe Asiata will be an upgrade. I hope so, but to base it on the fact that he was a good run blocker in college may be hopeful. Maybe he just needs more seasoning...comfort with the pass protections schemes, better technique. He may be ready in a few games or next year, but not sure how you can use him as an example that Gase can't evaluate talent

If I were hammering a head coach that came into an org that had a loser mentality, righted the ship and reeled off a 14-8 record, 9 of them without his guy at the most important position on the field, I'd be ready to back it up with more substance

Rashad Jones wasn't a 5th round pick?
Your post must be sarcastic. Dolphins in general get more productions from late round pick than early rnd picks.

No, I think his point was to temper your expectations with late picks. The later in the draft, the less likely to find a star or even a starter, no matter how many individual stars you can name from the given round. Most that do make it from those rounds tend to take developmental time.

Back
Top Bottom