Barnett and Harris the target? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barnett and Harris the target?

Damn, didn't know Willis was 255. I've seen him accelerate in space and run people down but that's when I thought he was 270+. Now he's an even bigger question mark to me.

Harris' snap anticipation is pretty legendary. I saw a Voch Lombardi breakdown on YouTube in which Harris and the center's snap were literally in synch. Everyone downs his run stopping ability, but for our defense, Harris is the guy. I don't watch enough tape to tell how deficient he is against the run.

Which is why Watt seems to be more valuable at 22. He can set a good edge as a SLB while gaining weight to eventually play DE.

While the experts say this class is loaded at DE or edge guys, they all have risks. Meanwhile McDowell is made to look like a headcase and he's got the best tape of anyone.

https://youtu.be/Q1lb7Qj7s5k

Good interview with Harris, seems like a good kid. For some reason, I am not concerned about our DE being a run stopper. If we go and get some halfway decent LB's, that's their job (and Reshad Jones' job). Suh, Phillips, Wake, Branch should be funneling the opposing RB's to our LB's....Kiko is supposed to have 140 tackles....unfortunately, we didn't have any LB's worth a dam last year other than Kiko (and Reshad (who plays close to the line a lot) got hurt.

I like McDowell as well, you don't here much about him either.

I think Miami will be picking someone not shown on the visit list.

Damn, didn't know Willis was 255. I've seen him accelerate in space and run people down but that's when I thought he was 270+. Now he's an even bigger question mark to me.

Harris' snap anticipation is pretty legendary. I saw a Voch Lombardi breakdown on YouTube in which Harris and the center's snap were literally in synch. Everyone downs his run stopping ability, but for our defense, Harris is the guy. I don't watch enough tape to tell how deficient he is against the run.

Which is why Watt seems to be more valuable at 22. He can set a good edge as a SLB while gaining weight to eventually play DE.

While the experts say this class is loaded at DE or edge guys, they all have risks. Meanwhile McDowell is made to look like a headcase and he's got the best tape of anyone.

No flag whatsoever. That's right around the average for the edge rushers in this years class outside of the two elite in Garret and Thomas.

He's fast off the snap, I just think that Harris is even faster as far as off the snap. I know Willis has a much better 40 time

He has a good explosion but he's more of a snap jumper than an elite burst type athlete.

My only qualms with Willis is that he'll never chase a play unless he knows he can make the tackle. Also, his speed doesn't always show up on tape.

Agree. I saw the same things while watching his tape. Here are some other areas of weakness I noted.

Jordan Willis has received praise deservingly so, but like any player he has weaknesses. Here are a few major areas I noted after finishing his tape.

- Absolutely needs an inside counter. He thrives off a very good dip/rip and swim on the outside and even finishes very well once he's gained the edge with a push/pull technique, but is inside game is nonexistent. This deficiency puts him all too often behind the QB which is one of the worst paces to end up bc the QB can simply step up in the pocket to avoid him and a tackle can simply ride him out when engaged.

- Needs a higher motor to help his defense finish plays. Lets up and jogs way too much for my tastes once the play is beyond him. A loafer is a traitor on defense. Fly to the ball until the whistle is blown regardless of where you are on the field. You never know the impact you can make in terms of takeaways if the ball hits the ground. Offense's can also take advantage of his quick upfield gain with screens and other constraints and he needs to be in constant pursuit.

- Must learn to stop and get his hands up when the moment is apparent that his pressure wont affect the QB and when the QB takes his front hand off the ball. Tipped balls not only disrupt the pass but can also provide a lot of opportunities for a defense.

- Needs to improve his tackling, especially in the open field. On the occasions he zone drops he struggles to make the open field tackle to stop players in the flat, on the dump off, or when the QB scrambles.

My God, I started my yearly draft data collecting months ago. They all had Jarrad Davis mocked to us. He's not #22 good for a LB. Now we've come full circle. Sorry, not excited about Jelani Jenkins 2.0...

22 is the perfect trade up spot for QB. We should drop because our positioning sucks in rounds 2-3.

Also, I really don't believe Lamp is anything more than marginally better than the Elf's and Nico's of this draft. I'd just feel better if we got him later.

Tired of the minutia, just trade for Hooker and be done with it.

We'll end up trading up in the second if we don't drop in the first, and then the value vultures will start circling...

Who would you take if both are there?

Ozzy rules!!

B/W Barnett and Harris?

Barnett. He has a lot more polish and isn't strictly a pass rusher but still possesses a wide array of moves. It's also hard to dismiss his excellent production at the collegiate level. He's a solid starter in the NFL even if he has reached his ceiling.

B/W Barnett and Harris?

Barnett. He has a lot more polish and isn't strictly a pass rusher but still possesses a wide array of moves. It's also hard to dismiss his excellent production at the collegiate level. He's a solid starter in the NFL even if he has reached his ceiling.

No I meant Harris or Willis?

Ozzy rules!!

No I meant Harris or Willis?

Ozzy rules!!

Ironically that was my first response I had written out, but then second guessed myself due to the thread title.

Willis.

Harris and Willis are pretty similar to me. Both are pretty much strictly pass rushers but not only is Willis a little better vs the run (Harris is very poor), I also like Willis' athletic ability and possible ceiling more.

I don't even see the bust potential in Charles Harris. You know what he has as a pass rusher -- that will absolutely translate. If he starts 16 games it wouldn't surprise me if he hits 8+ sacks as a rookie. He's Cliff Avril with more potential.

I don't even see the bust potential in Charles Harris. You know what he has as a pass rusher -- that will absolutely translate. If he starts 16 games it wouldn't surprise me if he hits 10+ sacks as a rookie. He's Cliff Avril with more potential.

Problem is he is horrid vs the run which could take him off the field on early downs thus negating the impact that a 1st rd defender should have as a 3 down player.

Problem is he is horrid vs the run which could take him off the field on early downs thus negating the impact that a 1st rd defender should have as a 3 down player.
Disinterest or just bad at it?

That's something to consider

Where the hell has hoops been? I think he said Harris just looks like he doesn't want to be involved

Disinterest or just bad at it?

That's something to consider

Where the hell has hoops been? I think he said Harris just looks like he doesn't want to be involved

He has poor run awareness to read and react. He's fine when just asked to fly off the edge and attack the QB but on early downs he tends to do the same and can't diagnose the run leaving large creases for the runner.

For the record. Bill Polian isn't a fan of Barnett or Harris all that much. He says that neither of them have the explosion metrics that usually lead to success at that position in the NFL. He loves Jordan Willis however. The more I look into the draft prospects, the more I hope Willis is the pick at 22. I haven't been a fan of Barnett since the outset. I was on the Taco bandwagon for awhile but now I am all in for Willis. I think if I had an order of preference of players that could be their for the Dolphins, I would go Willis 1, Jarred Davis 2, Njoku or T.J. Watt 3. Polian also hated the idea of taking a guard (Lamp) in the first round. He believes you find guys that play guard latter in the draft. I agree with him on all of these assessments.

Gimme Corey Davis instead of Njoku if you're going that route at 22. Corey's a much better blocker. His hands are so big it looks like he's catching a tennis ball.

Never saw all the hype around Njoku as a first rounder. I mean, he's a worse blocker than Duarte was coming out of college and that's saying something.

Back
Top Bottom