Barnwell's offseason report cards on Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barnwell's offseason report cards on Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets

Probably paid too much for Timmons, Branch and Kiko. I especially thought we gave Kiko too much. Also right that we did little to address the interior oline.

Usually butt hurt by the usual suspects, the overpaying and cap impact is spot on.

The danger of becoming complacent with the plan because you went 10-6 is a fear also, as he points out. Denver might have done us a huge favor on that front, even if Burke is instructed to run the same scheme it still has to change somewhat with a different coach. Though I disagree with the notion that it can't get any worse because despite breaking records such as giving up the most yards the overall defense still ranked 19th according to Football Outsiders. So we were below average but nowhere near as bad as New Orleans Saints bad.

Here's a question. We don't like ESPN. So who is your favorite writer?

D+ for a team because we decided to smarten up and stop getting rid of homegrown talent lol

If we would've let Stills go, we would been looked at as a losing franchise nobody wants to play for.

Either way, we lose when it comes to the cridicks.

I can't wait until Timmons starts showing how serious our LBing problem really was.

Timmons didn't fall off as much as people say. Leading the Steelers in tackles the last 5 years isn't falling off.

The playoff game against us he had 14 tackles and 2 sacks lol

Versus the Pats he had a team high in tackles also with I believe 14-15 tackles

Ya those Bills had a killer offseason lol Fired head coach, no stability, no direction, no added talent except grossly overpaying a fullback.

The Jets..well they drafted safeties back to back in the 1st and 2nd which should immediately give them an F.
Who's their QB again? Nobody including the dumb Jets FO knows. JOKE!!

I still think it's funny that we got destroyed for signing one of the best players in the NFL and a likely Hofer in Suh ,yet the perfect pats can pay a "good" corner in Stephon Gilmore $15 mil a year and it's a good pick up lol

If we had the worst offseason in our division, then damn we're in serious trouble.

I just don't see it that way by any stretch of the imagination. It's not even close and actually discredits this dude's creditability very much.

ESPN is a joke for not realizing the impact the cheap yet smart pick ups we got in Timmons, Thomas, Hayes, and Mcdonald.

I know they mention it but they really must not understand what we need which should make this article obsolete which I'm sure most are thinking.

Complete joke to give us the worst grade considering our well put together draft, smart pick ups, and keeping good talented players.

I love how everyone lauds New England for talent retention when they have let several good to great young players walk over the years. If you win people look past it, if you lose you get the criticism.

What did Barnwell predict for the Dolphins' record last year? His tone is arrogant and makes him sound like a self-proclaimed expert. He can write well and knows facts, but he lacks analytical skills. He sounds like he thinks he has a better handle than Adam Gase, who I, and many others, happen to believe is on his way to being an elite coach. Gase is smart, relates well to players, can lead, is a tactician, and is tough. He's the whole package. Yet, Barnwell writes in such an arrogant, dismissive tone about Miami's moves involving a coach who did extremely well and knows football beyond anything Barnwell can imagine.

Beyond that, Barnwell's analysis and apportionment to the resulting letter grade are lacking. Barnwell can regurgitate the transactions Miami made, but he doesn't see how it fits together. The Dolphins on defense lacked alpha males, leadership, and toughness. There's a reason why they targeted Timmons. Last year's linebackers were an abomination. But, what's worse, the Dolphins D laid down and showed no resilience the last couple of games. The Dolphins are paying Timmons for his presence and bringing toughness to the huddle. The Dolphins' run defense was awful last year, and physical, downhill linebacking was a crucial piece missing in hitting running lanes. You are acquiring players for certain ingredients which may not be found on a stat sheet but matter in W/L's.

I don't think the Dolphins overpaid Stills. We heard the numbers out there, and Miami got him at a reasonable price. Barnwell claims there were other speed receivers. Not really, though, at Stills' production and price point. Stills has rapport with Tannehill. You start screwing around with stuff like chemistry and you will get burned. These are subtle points and Gase gets that. And what Barnwell did not address, and what he apparently does not understand, is that Gase wants to send a message in his locker room. He wants his players to trust him and buy in. Other players see Stills gets paid, and it's positive motivation. Barnwell misses the point.

Regarding Kiko, he can be a lightening rod. There are times he gets bulldozed, and he's a bit light in the pants, which causes him to be injury prone. He's not a big, physical guy. But, he may benefit from the additions of McMillan and Timmons. He can move to a different spot where he may be able to make plays and take less of a pounding. The guy can make plays. He jumped that route beautifully against the Chargers and won the game for Miami against a very good quarterback. Frankly, having watched linebackers who couldn't make a play of their life depended on it for the better part of a decade, Kiko was a breath of fresh air.

Finally, Barnwell misses where Miami is. They have a number of ascending players who are coalescing. They have the best young coach in the game. The Dolphins have some guys who should be improving, and the offseason moves address problems from last year. I'd still like to get a physical, run stuffing D Tackle, but I don't think you will see that sad defense that we watched against NE and Pit late last year.

Will every move work out? I doubt it. As far as filling actual needs and plugging a leaky roster, I'm not sure anyone in the division did better. But, I don't see how you get D+ out of that

Last edited:
I do think we overpaid for some of our players. By letting guys walk last year we got 3 comp picks and Ajayi became a beast. Surprise info from article to me was how we will need to cut guys next year to be under cap where in past years our cuts just gave us more cap room. If we don't resign Landry we will tag him and we will have 190 mill on the books for next year

this guy is clueless if he is given the bills a higher grade. pats did some good things. dont see any other teams improving except us and the pats. guy is a tard or a bills/pats nut huger.

I can't justify that low a grade for the offseason after the excellent draft we just had....however he's mostly right about free agency, not only were Kiko, Branch and Timmons, 3 merely decent players, all overpaid but none of their deals have an out after a year like we had with Mario Williams, Courtland Finnegan etc...

The best moves were actually the trades, we essentially gave up a 6th and moved up in the 7th round for Williams Hayes and Julius Thomas on a pay cut.

Great analysis by Mando. I have done a 180 on him over the last 18 months. He now brings it with insightful, usually unbiased analysis and unlike Omar, is a true fan. Formerly depicted he and Omar as 2 pees or asswipes in pod - now Omar is the lone Miami Fins "reporter/journist" turd floating in the local bowl!

Back
Top Bottom