Barnwell's offseason report cards on Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barnwell's offseason report cards on Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets

I think our offseason was overall good but it was far from perfect. We did pretty well in the draft, I thought the deals for Stills, Timmons, Larsen, Hayes were all very good. I liked the move for Julius Thomas. I think we really overpaid Reshad Jones and Andre Branch and I think we gave a bit too much to Kiko. Overall happy with the general movement and direction of our team, though.

"So when the facts are wrong or misleading or incomplete, the opinions formed from those misbegotten facts lose credibility.

To wit:

Barnwell writes the Dolphins took “a worthwhile flier at just $1.3 million” on safety T.J. McDonald this offseason. Cool, except McDonald is suspended the first eight games and will not be paid during that time. The fact is the Dolphins will pay McDonald no more than $800,000 in 2017 and that’s if he plays in all eight games after his suspension is over.

So Barnwell graded the Dolphins based on this incorrect fact to form at least a small percentage of his grade. And as you’ll see, the incorrect facts will begin to add up in a minute."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article151110942.html#storylink=cpy

But...Armando is the one that is wrong. It really is a $1.3 million cap hit as of now. Terrible, pathetic attempt to discredit another writer.

Great analysis by Mando. I have done a 180 on him over the last 18 months. He now brings it with insightful, usually unbiased analysis and unlike Omar, is a true fan. Formerly depicted he and Omar as 2 pees or *******s in pod - now Omar is the lone Miami Fins "reporter/journist" turd floating in the local bowl!

He's been much much better in the past year. Mando has instead of rushing to be the first to report on something with half the facts in recent relied on more in-depth analysis using a larger picture. That was always my beef with him he didn't stop and look at all the angles.

His rebuttal write-up struck all the same notes I had in my head when I read that garbage assessment of Barnwell. The Jets failure to net a legit starting QB jumped out at me, how can a team that Matt Moore would be starting for get a higher grade than a team who made the playoffs last year and added depth to areas of need?

To quote a famous man: "It's like wiping before you poop it just doesn't make any sense."

Last edited:
Great analysis by Mando. I have done a 180 on him over the last 18 months.

Good point. Armando's attitude seems to have changed. I think Joe Schad is coming on strong too.

1. New England is New England
2. my team dolphins did over spent on some guy that they need in free agent but key to 2017 is going be thill17. dolphins will be in lots of closed games this yr. the two min drill might be key . another 10-6 and wildcard will gave dolphins respect in nfl.
3. bills seem lost all ready. they have some talent on team. their problems is going be coaching and gm.
4.the bottom line jets need qb... they are not going no way

English teacher's nightmare.

So obviously this guy is an idiot, and did no homework, as Armando pointed out so many flaws. That being said there are three things about Miami's off-season that he wasnt alone in having issue with, that I think these critics couldn't be more wrong.

First and foremost throw everything else out the window when grading the offseason besides, is this a better roster than it was last season? With out a doubt it's a better roster. We are significantly better at LB, DE, and TE, and that isn't up for debate. Safety I would say we are better, but it's tough because IAQ was good, but can't do anything about him retiring. I think TJ is better than he was, but is only playing 8 games. Allen is light years better than Rambo. Jones being back is the biggest factor. The only other group of players that had big changes is Oline. It's hard to judge as we added 2 guards we won't know about till they play with the group. End of the year the judgement will come down to if Pouncey can stay healthy. Over all the roster is better than the roster that made the playoffs last season, so anything less than a B is insane.

If another sports writer says "we over paid for still while other deep threats were available," I'll lose my mind. WR are not oline man or DE where you can just swap out talent. It takes moultiple seasons for any WR to pick up the playbook, and build rapport with the QB if they ever do at all. Outside of QB it's the hardest spot to plug in. There are countless rookie, and FAs that prove this point year in and year out who don't start paying dividends till year 2-3.

The last is how people keep saying we paid too much. I agree about Branch, but that is only true because we landed Harris and Hayes after the fact. If we let Branch walk and missed on both we would be in so much trouble this season. Everyone else seriously who cares what we paid, as it doesn't hurt us at all this season or next. We still have 10 million in cap space this year so what we spent didn't prohibit us going after anyone else. Next year we are fine in cap space as well with a few very likely smart cuts. After next season every contract we "over spent on" we can get out of with very little consequence or those contracts are only 2 years. The only exception is Jones who don't want to get out of. You didn't overspend if the team has no negative consequences from the signing, but there is the positive of showing your group of players that if you exceed expectations we will reward you.

I called out Bill for his foolish article and how Armando "owned" him on the Miami Herald. He blocked me ... I showed Armando the tweet, and he favored it.

Made my day. Twitter handle is @STOP_Gumbytime if you all want to see it.

How much is TJ McDonald going to make? According to Armando its $800k at most. According to everyone else its $1.3 million. Who's right? Did Sportrac and overthecap just make up the numbers they have ($900K salary + $200K workout + $200k Roster bonuses) out of thin air?

How much is TJ McDonald going to make? According to Armando its $800k at most. According to everyone else its $1.3 million. Who's right? Did Sportrac and overthecap just make up the numbers they have ($900K salary + $200K workout + $200k Roster bonuses) out of thin air?

You don't get paid if you are suspended he will only collect half of his base salary.

Back
Top Bottom