Barry Jackson Talks FA's other Notes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson Talks FA's other Notes

This whole free agent business is a complete debacle...

Smith, Hartline and Starks should have already been locked up a long time ago for a hell of a lot less than what they're going to end up with.

Bush should have been extended in the off season.

Long is the difficult one and none of the options seem too appealing, his trade value was probably at its peak 2 or 3 weeks ago when a few playoff hopeful teams had their QBs getting the snot kicked out of them. I guess I would grudgingly use my franchise tag here.

Fasano is probably a goner.

Who cares about Clemmons.

Keep Long until the off seaso. regardless how he finishes the year he is highly regarded around the league and is a great LT for a power blocking team. I would tag him 1st and a 3rd, let on to the league he maybe available but that we still value him and want him, albeit at a lower cost. If we can get a 20's selection in first round (maybe Bears) jump on it. We have his replacement already, RT can be had later in the draft. LG is a priority as well as Incognito just is not agile enough in ZBS.

Fasano is the leagues best #2 TE. Unfortunately he is our #1, he plays hard and is tough. I like him hope we can keep him, must find that #1 TE seem threat.

I'm hoping JG adds to the receiving core, maybe gets a year or 2 extension. We need to then spend some dough saved from Long trade on a playmaking WR (maybe a Bowe, Jennings, Cruz, Wallace). Hartline will be resigned, should have been completed this past offseason with Bush, may have lost some '13 offseason dough not signing them earlier.

Starks and Smith are 2 players who either lost alot of weight or the light bulb clicked on during contract year. Its a little scary, but Starks has been a team guy switching positions and body weight. Also he has produced at different positions, he should have made the probowl a few times while here. Smith just maybe finally reaching potential due to lack of experience as a corner. He is finally closing the gap on slants and using his length when playing the receiver, he has deflections and INT's he needs to keep producing. Probably no contract offer for SS24 til just before new league year. We need to draft atleast 3 corners in draft IMO boundary types and a slot type as well.

Clemons is a back up SS, but will want too much money for that role, we can replace him this year, hopefully with a high pick as well. He's fast but not agile and doesnt appear to be a student of the game, although he did finally get that elusive play. Great INT. Croyle has us on track as a secondary to have 20 INT's very nice, but the lack of FF is alarming. He desparately needs more talent on this D, but things point to a positive future with the whole team! Lets go Fins! It's been a happier place since we believe we have a QB! Finally!

This is my biggest Concern, Personally I think Sherman may have an EGO problem in this regard:

Dolphins players think highly of offensive coordinator Mike Sherman, but there has been private questioning of some play calls, including three passes deep in Dolphins territory while protecting a lead against the Jets.

This is a mess i cant believe none of these guys have been resigned yet. There is absolutely no way we can give Long a joe thomas like contract absolutely not! His play has slipped and hia body is wearing down we cant waste that type of money on the next tony boselli this team desperately needs playmakers. Kick Martin to LT and sign a solid RT or draft one in like the 3rd round. Let clemons walk too we need an upgrade at FS we can draft Mcdonald from USC or Reid from LSU and before resigning Fasano we need to see if we can find a seem threat TE and if we can then let fasano walk and we can still use mastrud for blocking and hope egnew develops. Lets not waste valuable cap space on servicable players we need to start adding playmakers totake that next step.

This is a mess i cant believe none of these guys have been resigned yet. There is absolutely no way we can give Long a joe thomas like contract absolutely not! His play has slipped and hia body is wearing down we cant waste that type of money on the next tony boselli this team desperately needs playmakers. Kick Martin to LT and sign a solid RT or draft one in like the 3rd round. Let clemons walk too we need an upgrade at FS we can draft Mcdonald from USC or Reid from LSU and before resigning Fasano we need to see if we can find a seem threat TE and if we can then let fasano walk and we can still use mastrud for blocking and hope egnew develops. Lets not waste valuable cap space on servicable players we need to start adding playmakers totake that next step.

Who should we have re-signed in the off season? Hartline was out injured the entire PS. Smith has been inconsistent at best. Long is a big question mark. Bush ad a VG year but, there are age and injury concerns.

I would not sign Long to a top ten QB contract. He just is not worth it. IF he is reasonable, fine. If not, move Martin over to LT, and re-sign Fasano for help. Starks and Soliai have adapted well to the new 4-3. However, Odrick belongs at DT, and is cheap. This one is a very tuff choice.

@southbeach2 i agree i think letting starks walk is an option too, i love starks but we can easily kick odrick inside and use randall and a backup and then maybe sign cliff avril or maybe vernon will be ready to step up or draft jarvis jones. We need to focus on our pass rush and pass defense our run defense might fall a little letting starks go but u know what im not concerned being #1 in run defense because teams are roasting our secondary.

I dont know about those 2 safeties. Reid to me looks more like a strong safety, definitely a very good one but with Jones we need a free safety and Elam looks like the guy. I freakin hate the Gators but that guy has got IT. He plays to take the ball away any means necessary!

I know Philbin doesn't want to add big free agents from the outside via free agency, especially on offense. But if this team's plan after the year at WR is to just re-sign Hartline and draft a kid in rounds 2 or 3 and develop him that is a huge mistake. They need an impact WR badly. Hartline and Bess are good,I'm not knocking them, but they need a big-time guy to open up the offense and take that next step.

Does Joe Philbin have say or no say in FA? We have arguments here that he does not have anything to do with trades and cuts and that it is all up to Ireland. Other times we see articles like this.

I love the people that said Joe is absolved of personnel moves. He is just as involved as many of us figured making moves.

@southbeach2 i agree i think letting starks walk is an option too, i love starks but we can easily kick odrick inside and use randall and a backup and then maybe sign cliff avril or maybe vernon will be ready to step up or draft jarvis jones. We need to focus on our pass rush and pass defense our run defense might fall a little letting starks go but u know what im not concerned being #1 in run defense because teams are roasting our secondary.

I've wanted Avril for some time but, Vernon and Shelby have flashed. I do hope we re-sing Hartline. I always liked the way he played the game, from ST's to WR, and actually have his jersey from 2010, when he was our best WR over 7 games.

I always liked Smith but, he disappointed up until this year. He was good vs #2 WR's, with VD, and is now stepping up. 36 passes thrown vs him, and SIX times he had a hand on the ball, 2 picks and 4 passes defended by batting the ball away. VG

i think miami has played it right pesonally...most these guys are having career years in their walk years...we have to be careful...that said i don't think miami can let smith walk can't rebuild the cb core in one offseason and he is showing developmental signs feet look better not as off balance when guys cross his face and again he's playing underneath quick hitters much better...

jake long i don't know...if it's gonna be joe thomas money i'd move on...

randy starks i think is in line for $6 mil per or more maybe $7 mil per i'd look into a 3 year $20 mil or so deal there...but if he balks i'd be comfortable moving odrick into his spot and finding a de in the draft to give us some pass rush...i believe in derrick shelbys potential as rotational end and maybe more...

anthony fasano only real in line blocking te we have...durable i keep him...somewhere in the $5 mil range...

reggie bush i either let him walk or franchise him...if he keeps getting hurt we might be able to work out something on a 2 year deal we can work with...

if we can lose carps $3 mil and not pay for it cap wise i do it...i'm tired of the excuses there...

chris clemons i could care less about...he should not be a priority...

hartline $5 mil or less i don't go higher...him and bess with a true #1 could be solid...and this is where i spend my free agency money this offseason...a true wr...a greg jennings...something like that...it's the one piece i'd look to find in free agency and spend considerable on...

use the draft to get a pass rushing de, a fs (unless you move richard marshall there cause i don't like what i see as a boundary cb and we are on the hook for good money...not getting bang for our buck) another wr with a top 3 round pick, a backup mike backer an instinctual guy like k states arthur brown would be nice in the 3rd round...only gonna last that long cause he's undersized but he's right for the 43...and maybe a damn te cause even his own teammate is saying egnew may never do anything...and of course we need to redo the cornerback position by adding a high round pick one there also as corners fly off the board in the draft...someone with size and great tools...

I'm for keeping Fasano and adding another big TE who is a seam threat. Just like we didn't get with Egnew who is seemingly a wasted pick.

Does Joe Philbin have say or no say in FA? We have arguments here that he does not have anything to do with trades and cuts and that it is all up to Ireland. Other times we see articles like this.

I love the people that said Joe is absolved of personnel moves. He is just as involved as many of us figured making moves.

Philbin has say but, Ireland has final say. From what I saw on Hard Knocks, Joe was not crazy on the VD trade but, Irish pulled the trigger. In hindsight, I would have preferred to keep VD. JMO

With changes to the staff and philosophy on both sides of the ball it was smart NOT to resign the players mentioned until AFTER the coach and GM saw them actually play in the new system.
Long is the perfect example. He's a great LT in the ground and pound Parcells / Tony system. Just ok so far in the new WCO.

Back
Top Bottom