Barry Jackson Talks FA's other Notes | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson Talks FA's other Notes

We should be patient. However, he has demonstrated nothing in preseason, practice or actual game settings to make me think he is worth anything.

Hark Knocks demonstrated how scared and lost Egnew looked. I could see him getting cut next summer.

It is possible, just maybe, that Philbin and Sherman saw something you did not and chose to keep him for those reasons. I have to think they have seen more of him, and do see some potential.

Does Joe Philbin have say or no say in FA? We have arguments here that he does not have anything to do with trades and cuts and that it is all up to Ireland. Other times we see articles like this.

I love the people that said Joe is absolved of personnel moves. He is just as involved as many of us figured making moves.

He's the HEAD COACH! He better have say or this is a train wreck of an organization.

He's the HEAD COACH! He better have say or this is a train wreck of an organization.

That is fine...and I agree with you. However, it seems if there is a perceived bad FO move, we blame Ireland and absolve Philbin. BOTH should be held accountable.

That is fine...and I agree with you. However, it seems if there is a perceived bad FO move, we blame Ireland and absolve Philbin. BOTH should be held accountable.
I agree but Philbin is new so I am giving him a few passes on these bad moves, Ireland has been the one constant for many more years of bad play.
This coming off season is super important to the team- we have a bunch of our own FA that must be decided upon AND we still have to fill a bunch of holes in the team even if we keep all of our important FAs. Personally I do not want Ireland making these decisions yet again especially when it comes time to draft.

Did I read that correctly where it said that Carpenter is making more than Tannehill?

With changes to the staff and philosophy on both sides of the ball it was smart NOT to resign the players mentioned until AFTER the coach and GM saw them actually play in the new system.
Long is the perfect example. He's a great LT in the ground and pound Parcells / Tony system. Just ok so far in the new WCO.

My problem with this line of thinking is we could have traded Long for a first. Are his services for one season worth a first round pick? I'm not saying they aren't necessarily becuase he will help in the development of Tannehill to a degree but we're still giving up a lot.

The same goes for every player on that list, they were all potential draft picks that could turn into nothing in a meaningless season.

egnew and clay probably get one more camp and preseason to show that they can be part of this teams future...if they don't show well i think they're both cut next year...provided miami retains fasano which i think they will find a way to do i don't see miami investing a high round pick in a te...got a couple guys they need to see how they develop for one more camp before we move on...ie clay and egnew...

as for what i think will happen i believe that miami locks up jake long and sean smith long term finds a contract agreement with brian hartline and franchises reggie bush provided he isn't dinged up all year...and probably as i stated prior gets it done with fasano given they really have no choice given what's in house and he's been solid...

i'm guessing starks prices himself out of miami, chris clemons if he signs will be late in the process and for a team friendly # on a short term deal but more likely i think he walks...

miami has to remember also that we have odrick reshad jones paul solia and koa misi coming up in the next few years...in other words be smart

This whole free agent business is a complete debacle...

Smith, Hartline and Starks should have already been locked up a long time ago for a hell of a lot less than what they're going to end up with.

Bush should have been extended in the off season.

Long is the difficult one and none of the options seem too appealing, his trade value was probably at its peak 2 or 3 weeks ago when a few playoff hopeful teams had their QBs getting the snot kicked out of them. I guess I would grudgingly use my franchise tag here.

Fasano is probably a goner.

Who cares about Clemmons.
Clemons is gone....Can't let Fasano walk, who are you going to put out there in his place? Charles Clay...no thanks and if you read down in the chatter you can see Egnew can't remember the plays and one Dolphin doesn't think he plays (if at all) in this league long.

We can't give Jake Long a contract similar to Joe Thomas...he's not playing at that level. This is the trickiest situation of them all, we low ball him and his agent will probably get upset and let him test the market if we don't franchise him, we franchise him and he takes up $15 million in cap space...a large chunk of money. Really he's playing like an $8 million a year LT but he'll get more than that...I'm hoping we can keep him for $10 million a season but I'm not feeling good about this situation. I think his agent, if he's doing his job, will try to milk everyone out of us that he can.

Bush I would sign to an incentive based contract...escalators in games played, yards from scrimmage, pro bowl selection, etc. If he misses games he won't get the yards most likely and he'll end up playing dirt cheap.

Hartline may be the cheapest re-sign. He loves it here, Tannehill likes throwing to him, he's finally in an offense and has a QB that takes advantage of the things he does best. This is where he wants to be and I think a $5 million/year contract is not unreasonable. If he scored more TDs I would say more but even bad #1 WRs get 6 TDs in a season and Hartline's career high came in his rookie season and it was only 3 TDs. We need a WR that can win in the red zone and that's not Hartline or Bess...as good as both of them have been playing.

Starks, I've been saying since training camp, needs to be re-signed. Some of you want him to walk (don't make me pull up the posts cause they're out there). This guy is only 28, been one of the most consistent DT we've had since he signed as a free agent and has been part of a DL that is shutting down the run week in and week out. We don't let someone like him walk.

Smith is playing better than ever. I've been on this guy about his play for a long time and have been mostly dissatisfied. This year he's balling out...I'm worried that it may only be because of his contract year but it's a risk we have to take because we're thin at CB. I just hope if we give this kid a new contract he continues to get better. I also think Kevin Coyle has a lot to do with his development as well as Nolan Carroll's (who's a free agent next year and we might want to get him re-signed while the value is cheap).

According to the chatter we'll have 36 players under contract....we re-sign these 5 guys and it's 41 with roughly $15 million left in cap space. $5 million of that will go to the 9 rookies in the class. Realistically 5 of the 9 rookies will be worth anything but most likely all of them stick on the roster bringing it up to 50 players....that should give us roughly $10 million to spend on 3 free agents. That's maybe one big name free agents and two 2nd tier free agents.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't see how we are gonna sign all these guys and after the rookie cap allocation is accounted for have $30 mil to spend...would be nice but i don't see it...i see after we resign our key free agents room for one big splash piece...and i'm hoping like heck it's greg jennings

i don't see how we are gonna sign all these guys and after the rookie cap allocation is accounted for have $30 mil to spend...would be nice but i don't see it...i see after we resign our key free agents room for one big splash piece...and i'm hoping like heck it's greg jennings
You're right. For some reason I thought it was $71 million in cap space next year but it's $50 million. We got enough to sign one big free agent and that's it.

i do agree that miami should be considering signing carroll to an extension on the cheap...could probably get him inked to a 3 year $4 mil deal given he's coming off of a late round rookie contract so any guaranteed money he's gonna take a hard look at...i think this kids only gonna get better in time

try to lock him up like we did tyrone culver a few years ago...

He should be working on extensions for Jones, Caroll, Pouncy, Odrick and Misi now if these players are in the long term plans.

Man if we can get our key cogs back and add Greg Jennings...that would do wonders for us heading into the draft. If this team keeps playing at this level I think maybe we can make a push at a wildcard this year even if we fall short...then go into next year with high hopes looking to make a legitimate impact

Kick Martin to LT and sign a solid RT or draft one in like the 3rd round.

Drafting a 3rd rounder with the intent to start is a plan doomed to failure. 3rd rounders have learning curves (hello Egnew) and one starting(not just contributing) his rookie year is the exception to the rule. Realistically, Long is tagged and they work on his replacement in 2013 hoping he starts in 2014.

I shudder to think the negative impact not resigning Sean Smith will have on this team. If Brandon Carr can get 50 million i think Smith will easily get that, or even more if he can keep up his current play.

We should be patient. However, he has demonstrated nothing in preseason, practice or actual game settings to make me think he is worth anything.

Hark Knocks demonstrated how scared and lost Egnew looked. I could see him getting cut next summer.

yeah because we can see everything should be evaluated from hard knocks, I'll wait.

Back
Top Bottom