Baylor vs Washinton tonight at 9pm | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baylor vs Washinton tonight at 9pm

rg3 top 10 pick...book it

i get what everyones sayin and i agree that he's got issues as a player and major injury concerns but at the end of the day someone will roll the dice on that talent...and it will be in the top 10

and he's gonna light the combine on fire test wise so get ready for it...

they just dropped a 60 burger on the scoreboard...rg3's already countin benjamins...

I can't bash RGIII for having a not so "great game" on the stat sheet he was great, but if you watched the game he wasn't that great. I want RGIII and I will be the first to admit it. Honestly though, the whole game Washington was scared of RGIII throwing and played a prevent defense. Corners 8-12 yards off the WRs, Safeties playing deep. IT was RIDICULOUS. All Washington did was play the screen and run the ball and they didn't make any adjustments.

I've seen much more puzzling picks than Robert III going in the top 10. I watched a 140 pound kick returner with her foot in a protective boot go #9 overall. I saw Blaine Gabbert go #11 overall.

I wouldn't take him in the top 10 but that's just my opinion.... and it damn sure ain't based off one game.

RGIII has the tools to be a good qb and the talent..now actually being it in the NFL is different..Henne had the tools though but never developed like we wanted..if I'm staring RGIII in the face, Id take the risk..We need a coach who actually knows QBs nd can coach him up..

Where my eyes deceiving me or was RGIII the SMALLEST Guy in the Huddle!!! he looked shorter than his WR's!!! is it me or does RGIII have BUST written all over him? sorry fellas, I'm not buying in on the RGIII QB bandwagon!!! I could care less about his athleticism or his arm, he never looks at more than the 1 receiver on any play, except when he runs out of the pocket!!! at barely 6'0" and maybe 200lbs he SCARES me!!!

I keep seeing RGIII = Jake Plummer; the rollout king.

So far in this game all but one pass has been to the sidelines. It's either a 10 yard curl route or a quick out and the receivers are getting YAC because Washington is playing so far off. I hope in the second half I see a few different routes, at least a verticle route somewhere. He's just padding stats right now.
I've read in articles around the web, that Baylor's offense is set up like that!!! So RGIII doesn't have to read the whole field!!! It's a 1 read and throw type offense .. not impressed at all with him ... I know I'm in the minority on this ... but I wouldn't take him ... not questioning his athletic ability and accuracy, my doubts come from his size and ability to read a defense ...

I've read in articles around the web, that Baylor's offense is set up like that!!! So RGIII doesn't have to read the whole field!!! It's a 1 read and throw type offense .. not impressed at all with him ... I know I'm in the minority on this ... but I wouldn't take him ... not questioning his athletic ability and accuracy, my doubts come from his size and ability to read a defense ...

You have to keep in mind that Briles was a Wishbone Veer Option coach for the first 8 or so years of his coaching career. What he does now is nothing more than a Veer Option offense with a lot of "pixie dust" or window dressing. When Briles was at Houston, his favorite concept with Kolb was 4-verticals, smash, and the Run&Shoot switch route. That is the only full field read in the passing game. Everything else is half field read (Smash, Flood, etc.)

They run a "zone read", but it's actually Inside (inverted) Veer. The long runs by Ganaway happened using the Inside Veer. The Pitch Read is actually a fast screen. Baylor's running game is Veer, PowerO (Flash), Dart, and GT Counter. Add in the window dressing and you have Baylor's offense.

The fast screens are essentially the pitch phase of Veer, and an extension of the running game. It's all about pushing the ball down field to their WR's that could make up a 4X100 relay team off the Inverted play action fake.

The concept they do so well is the 4-verticals (Leach style), just like Mike Leach used to run at Texas Tech. The Run & Shoot concepts are that he 'tags' his receiver routes. In other words, he tells them "dont run to be covered".... once they reach a certain yardage off their vertical stem (typically around 12-15 yards) they're required to adjust the route based off the DB's leverage. You're always going to have an open receiver this way, the backside safety MUST play the opposite hash first. That's why his route combinations look so different. He can't run shallow or mesh with the insane spacing he uses with his WR's split outside the numbers on both sides of the field.

The funny thing about all this is the terminology that Briles uses, it truly is HIS terminology. Over the years, he just picks stuff he likes, names it, and that's what they run. No playbook.

They install int he Spring and Fall. When Fall camp is over, the schemes are in and that's what Baylor runs all year long. They only add formations, shifts, and motions.

how would you rate the difficulty of the offense for the qb position in briles o relative to malzahns offense with newton at auburn last season slimm???

Baylor was killing Washington by putting 2 WR's into the boundary and running that WR screen. Kendall Wright is a beast blocking on the perimeter.

It forced Washington to move the weakside safety outside to the 2 WR side. When Washington made that adjustment, Ganaway started creasing the dive and breaking those big runs. There was nobody in the middle of Washington's defense anymore.

If you pay attention, both the Inverted Dive play and the WR screens had the same backfield action and blocking scheme which made it nearly impossible for Washington's DC to pick up on.

how would you rate the difficulty of the offense for the qb position in briles o relative to malzahns offense with newton at auburn last season slimm???

I'd say it's about the same. Malzahn didn't use a playbook with either... they used flash cards to signal in the same 4 or 5 plays depending on where they were on the field, they'd just change the formation.

Malzahn ran a faster paced no huddle. His goal is to run as many plays as possible in a game (usually 80 plays was the least Malzahn would be satisfied with).

Malzahn's running game was a little more "power" based (Pulling guard, double team at the point of attack, etc.) and used Lutzenkirchen as an H-back to get the kick-out or pin-and-pull on the backside DE.

Briles offense is more finesse, as he uses mostly 10 or 11 personnel.

The passing games are very similar in simplicity, but different concepts. Cam threw more NFL routes in Malzahn's offense. They ran more outs and deep crossing routes.

I mean, Cam couldn't even call a play when Jon Gruden asked him to call a play that he would run at Auburn. Obviously that didn't mean much....

Back
Top Bottom