Bill Polian and ESPN suck! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Polian and ESPN suck!

I see you conveniently forgot the 11-5 season. I am sure it was just a mistake. Ireland took over in 2010, and has not even had 2 drafts where he is responsible. Even so, if you want to say it was 4 years, I disagree, but fine. Then with that logic, Ireland took over a 1-15 team. Since then the Fins have had a record of 31-33. Bill Polian took over a team that went 3-13 . After the Colts hired Polian the Colts records were: 3-13, 13-3, 10-6, 6-10. So Polian went 32-32, one more victory than Ireland over a 4 year period. Which means by most Finheaven members Polian should have been fired by his 4th season or 3 years before he won a Super Bowl.
Ok, I conveniently the 11-5 season just as you conveniently forgot that Ireland has been a part of this regime since day 1. This 11-5 team was a complete mirage, a team that was completely healthy(anomoly), set the single season record for fewest amount of turnovers(anomoly), faced one of the easiest schedules in league history(anomoly), and still barely won an average division, then was badly exposed in the playoffs. Heck, that season was the worst thing that could've happened to these guys, they won and thought they were close...then got super cute with that horrific Pat White pick. Lets also not forget this team was all set to go into that season with Josh McCown before Pennington fell to them from nowhere.

Now, I've acknowledged our wonderful 11-5 banner season. Please dont try to sell me the bill of goods that Jeff Ireland bears no responsibility for the failures of this team before 2010(while also giving him credit for the 11-5 season, also convenient), its just a little too convenient.

Polian has built 3 winners, I'm sure (rational) Colts fans were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after the 6-10 season, given his 2 previous playoff seasons, as well as his healthy track record through the years. Should Ireland get the same benefit of the doubt for ONE winning season in which (to use your arguement) he didnt even have final say?

Players in the NFl just don't like Ireland period. We had to beg people to visit the Dolphins. They can try and spin it all they want too.

Famous last words but I just don't see a need to trade up for Tannehill. Sure, he has some momentum on his side because of his workout and the hype machine now that the Luck/Griffin discussion is old news. But, the game tape doesn't lie. Based on performance, I can't justify a top 5 pick on him, and I don't think Cleveland will reach either.

If Miami gets him at 8, then fine. But I'm not seeing a need to go berserk on a trade up.

Ok, I conveniently the 11-5 season just as you conveniently forgot that Ireland has been a part of this regime since day 1. This 11-5 team was a complete mirage, a team that was completely healthy(anomoly), set the single season record for fewest amount of turnovers(anomoly), faced one of the easiest schedules in league history(anomoly), and still barely won an average division, then was badly exposed in the playoffs. Heck, that season was the worst thing that could've happened to these guys, they won and thought they were close...then got super cute with that horrific Pat White pick. Lets also not forget this team was all set to go into that season with Josh McCown before Pennington fell to them from nowhere.

Now, I've acknowledged our wonderful 11-5 banner season. Please dont try to sell me the bill of goods that Jeff Ireland bears no responsibility for the failures of this team before 2010(while also giving him credit for the 11-5 season, also convenient), its just a little too convenient.

Polian has built 3 winners, I'm sure (rational) Colts fans were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after the 6-10 season, given his 2 previous playoff seasons, as well as his healthy track record through the years. Should Ireland get the same benefit of the doubt for ONE winning season in which (to use your arguement) he didnt even have final say?

Polian was 32-32 in his first 4 years as Colts GM. Ireland is 31-33 in his 4 years of being with the Dolphins in which he did not have final say until September of 2010. You were the one who originally made the argument about how good the Colts were statring in year 2 of the "Polian" regime. 1 game difference. You post lots of reasons why the Fins won as many games as they did ( easy schedule, etc.) but wouldn't the Colts of had the same easy schedule? If you want to compare 4 years vs 4 years, it is 1 more win plain and simple.

Players in the NFl just don't like Ireland period. We had to beg people to visit the Dolphins. They can try and spin it all they want too.

Really? Why did Soliai stay? He stayed for less money and was considered by many to be the best nose tackle in free agency? Why did Richard Marshall sign here, the Cardinals wanted to keep him.

That is a lie told by a handful of people with absolutely no proof. The same "experts" that parrot that are the same ones that said Fisher was going to come here and the Fins were the front runner for Manning.

Polian was 32-32 in his first 4 years as Colts GM. Ireland is 31-33 in his 4 years of being with the Dolphins in which he did not have final say until September of 2010. You were the one who originally made the argument about how good the Colts were statring in year 2 of the "Polian" regime. 1 game difference. You post lots of reasons why the Fins won as many games as they did ( easy schedule, etc.) but wouldn't the Colts of had the same easy schedule? If you want to compare 4 years vs 4 years, it is 1 more win plain and simple.
How about 2 winning seasons vs 1 winning season? Polian has had 3 losing seasons as Colts GM in 15 years, Ireland's had 3 losing seasons in 4. I cant believe we're even bothering to compare these two. And Im still baffled at how you choose Polian's first four seasons in Indy, as if those were his 1st 4 years running an NFL team. Lets compare apples to apples.

Polian took over as GM of the Bills, his first stint as GM, before the 1986 season. His records:

1986: 4-12
1987: 7-8
1988: 12-4
1989: 9-7

Ireland took over as GM of the Dolphins, his first stint as GM, before the 2008 season. His records:

2008: 11-5
2009: 7-9
2010: 7-9
2011: 6-10

Are you seeing any trends?

I think the Fins are simply the media's team du jour to dump on. I'm not sure why exactly, except that having a murky QB situation (at least murky to the media nutwits) certainly makes a team an easy target. Usually, that's been the Bills until they signed Fitzpatrick to a starter's contract, at which time the nutwits ran off after easier prey. Apparently, Miami is it.

With the media, it's really NOT about what makes sound football sense, but about what's "sexy". QBs are sexy. LTs, DTs, LBs are NOT sexy.

• If the Fins had landed a 36-year-old QB with a big name and health issues, they would have been "golden", and all the wags would be chirping about them challenging NE for the division.
  • If they had inked Matt Flynn to a fat contract, they would have been "silver" at least. Never mind that Flynn was a seventh round draft pick. Never mind that his NFL experience consists of 2 games playing in one of the very best offenses in meaningless games. He's better than Matt Moore because ... well, he's NOT Matt Moore.
  • To compound their incompetence, the Fins didn't even try for Savior Tebow. Ya coulda had Timmie and his congregation of Tebot stalkers to fill your stadium with praise every home game all for a couple of picks, and Ireland screwed the pooch and let him go to a division rival! What was he thinking???
  • Well, that only leaves one alternative: Ryan Tannehill, WR turned QB from that great QB factory Texas A&M who is the supposed third best prospect in this draft. Just ignore the fact that there are only 2 real QB prospects in this draft, and neither is named Tannehill. Picky, picky. It doesn't matter than Tannehill has small hands, has played only 19 games as a QB, and was unimpressive in big games. Nope. None of that matters. The Fins need this QB, and they need him so badly that they shouldn't waste their #8 pick on him, but rather give up more picks to trade up to #3 to take him because we all know that Mike Holmgren of Cleveland, having supposedly lost out in a bidding war with Washington for Griffin, will snap up Tannehill at #4.
  • If the Fins don't grab Tannehill at any cost, THEY ARE DOOMED to a fate worse than death: drafting a possible impact player at #8 and having Matt Moore as their starting QB in 2012.

//sarcasm off

How about 2 winning seasons vs 1 winning season? Polian has had 3 losing seasons as Colts GM in 15 years, Ireland's had 3 losing seasons in 4. I cant believe we're even bothering to compare these two. And Im still baffled at how you choose Polian's first four seasons in Indy, as if those were his 1st 4 years running an NFL team. Lets compare apples to apples.

Polian took over as GM of the Bills, his first stint as GM, before the 1986 season. His records:

1986: 4-12
1987: 7-8
1988: 12-4
1989: 9-7

Ireland took over as GM of the Dolphins, his first stint as GM, before the 2008 season. His records:

2008: 11-5
2009: 7-9
2010: 7-9
2011: 6-10

Are you seeing any trends?

I see 32 wins compared to 31 wins. Ironically enough, Polian's Colt's team only won 32 games in his first 4 seasons as GM for them as well. It actually seems like you are making my argument for me.

The only impressive thing Polian has done is draft 2 HOF QBs. Neither one was a hard get, nor were the other stars he acquired like Thurman Thomas or Marvin Harrison. He has managed to take a couple teams with quality QBs in their prime to superbowls. The Giants have won a couple with just a good QB.

As I mentioned, if the Dolphins start winning the complaints will end.

I see 32 wins compared to 31 wins. Ironically enough, Polian's Colt's team only won 32 games in his first 4 seasons as GM for them as well. It actually seems like you are making my argument for me.
Well, you've certainly proven you can add, but the trends do not lie. Polian has taken over bad teams and improved them considerably, while Ireland's career rests on a single initial winning season, and an otherwise declining franchise.

I think the Fins are simply the media's team du jour to dump on. I'm not sure why exactly, except that having a murky QB situation (at least murky to the media nutwits) certainly makes a team an easy target. Usually, that's been the Bills until they signed Fitzpatrick to a starter's contract, at which time the nutwits ran off after easier prey. Apparently, Miami is it.

With the media, it's really NOT about what makes sound football sense, but about what's "sexy". QBs are sexy. LTs, DTs, LBs are NOT sexy.

• If the Fins had landed a 36-year-old QB with a big name and health issues, they would have been "golden", and all the wags would be chirping about them challenging NE for the division.
  • If they had inked Matt Flynn to a fat contract, they would have been "silver" at least. Never mind that Flynn was a seventh round draft pick. Never mind that his NFL experience consists of 2 games playing in one of the very best offenses in meaningless games. He's better than Matt Moore because ... well, he's NOT Matt Moore.
  • To compound their incompetence, the Fins didn't even try for Savior Tebow. Ya coulda had Timmie and his congregation of Tebot stalkers to fill your stadium with praise every home game all for a couple of picks, and Ireland screwed the pooch and let him go to a division rival! What was he thinking???
  • Well, that only leaves one alternative: Ryan Tannehill, WR turned QB from that great QB factory Texas A&M who is the supposed third best prospect in this draft. Just ignore the fact that there are only 2 real QB prospects in this draft, and neither is named Tannehill. Picky, picky. It doesn't matter than Tannehill has small hands, has played only 19 games as a QB, and was unimpressive in big games. Nope. None of that matters. The Fins need this QB, and they need him so badly that they shouldn't waste their #8 pick on him, but rather give up more picks to trade up to #3 to take him because we all know that Mike Holmgren of Cleveland, having supposedly lost out in a bidding war with Washington for Griffin, will snap up Tannehill at #4.
  • If the Fins don't grab Tannehill at any cost, THEY ARE DOOMED to a fate worse than death: drafting a possible impact player at #8 and having Matt Moore as their starting QB in 2012.

//sarcasm off
+2

You're seeing what you want to see. One is the story of a team that improved every year except one, the other is a story of a team that has gotten worse over the last four years.

Last year it was Sparano, coming off of 2 losing seasons, being praised while coaches who'd actually been consistent winners and Superbowl champions, like Bill Cowher, were denigrated. Now Ireland, whose resume is thin and insignificant at best, is praised at the expense of Polian who's built teams that have won 6 conference championships and a Super Bowl. There are none so blind as those who wear aqua-colored glasses.

I dont think we need to move up in the draft. Even if KC jumps ahead of us we can trade down one time to #14 or #15 and take Weeden. I like Weeden too.

We have two problems: KC may jump ahean of us and Arizona may pull the trigger at #13. They want a QB too although hey have been super quiet about it.

ya'll make it sound like trading down is easy as pie...ha ha...its not...there needs to be something up there that others are coming up for...and i just don't see it...most the guys you want to trade out of the pick to use as the bait won't get to #8 anyways...

anyways i have no idea why anyone would still watch espn for anything other than live sports games coverage...they waste more time and float more garbage than anywhere other than twitter...espn is trash

Back
Top Bottom