Blackout looming for Jets/Dolphins?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SkapePhin, Sep 20, 2012.

1. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

2. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Locals need to go to ensure this won't happen then

3. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

Damnit I'd be there, but I save lives on Sundays...........

4. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

presumed this would sell out :/

5. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

Once people like the at home experience, they aren't going back to the stadium...

Redzone for five bucks a month is icing on the cake.

6. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

It won't be blacked out anyway...

The team and corporate sponsors won't let it happen...

Non story.

7. jetsh8r

jetsh8r A True Fan

This makes me sad up here in VA

8. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Where in Virginia? I just moved to Arlington..

9. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Potential the fans suck and we're moving to LA thread number 29430912309123. :rolleyes2:

10. herndonsr

herndonsr Well-Known Member

fans are sick of rebuilding don"t blane them its jeff and the owner he knows he should of fired jeff now he will pay for it to many thing to do in south florida

11. EdwardAndrsn

EdwardAndrsn Well-Known Member

I am in King William. I love your license plate!!!

12. electrolyte

electrolyte Banned Hammered

The Miami Heat are taking the casual fans wallet.

Remember, most of miami lives somewhere near the poverty line. Miami has, for about 20 years, been among the cities with the worst poverty rates in the country. Combine this with Miami's long history of average median income also being among the lowest of any city in the United States. Then add on to that, some of the country's highest residential costs and the bad economy........and it shows you that the Dolphins have to compete with the Marlins, and now the champion Miami Heat, with a limited amount of people who are sports fans with disposable income.

I wouldn't be so quick to bash the fans for not caring. Blame the economy.

13. dade

dade Well-Known Member

14. zackmandude63

zackmandude63 Poconos Phinatic!

What exactly happens during a blackout?

15. FINFAN15

FINFAN15 Starter

It wont happen Ross will buy up the tickets.Even though he says he wont.His threat is just to get more fans in the seats.There is no way he blows off those advertising dollars

16. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

I love the "too much to do in Miami" excuse, people are sitting on their couch, not going to Disney land

17. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

I'm going on Sunday, but I don't even really want to. I hate to say it but the game day experience at Sun Life Stadium has gotten worse and worse, and is especially tough for 1:00 games. I'd much rather be on the couch eating MY food, drinking MY beer, and watching the other games along with the Phins. Why would people spend their hard earned $ to see this team at such a crappy stadium? Publix and Budweiser would probably buy all of the tickets anyway.

18. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

The game will not be shown on TV in the local Dolphins market. If you live outside the Dolphins market, like I do(Pennsylvania), you will still be able to see the game. Basically means that if you live in Miami and the game is blacked out, you better get to the stadium if you want to watch it live.

19. jetstream1066

jetstream1066 Well-Known Member

your avatar is friggin hilarious !!!!!! good stuff

20. Nublar7

They don't even have Disney Land to go to. That is in California and Disney World is about a four hour drive from Miami. They do have the beach, apparently that only shows up on Sundays in the fall.:tumbleweed:

21. phinmanniac

phinmanniac Rookie

I agree our stadium sucks. After going to some of the newer fields in the NFL it's hard to accept our own. IMO the money spent on those renovations were a mistake. Should have blown it up and built new. It needs a roof! Something like they have in Arizona. Without that, expect to always see empty orange seats.

22. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 Banned Hammered

I'm not going just to piss off Nublar7. lol

23. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

There are a lot of reasons why Dolphins attendance sucks but I think the biggest reason -- all things considered -- is still the fact that the product has been garbage.

Remember that at one point, the Pittsburgh Steelers had more wins at Sun Life Stadium over a full year than the Miami Dolphins did?

Bad team playing for a bad coach with a dinosaur philosophy. Nobody wants to go see that crap.

finomenal likes this.
  24. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Bend The Knee Moderator Finheaven VIP

Instead of asking for handouts, why don't you sell one of your closet full of throwback jerseys you are always bragging about and go buy a ticket for Sunday's game.

25. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 Banned Hammered

Handouts? When did I ask for handouts? All I said is I won't go unless it's free. I can buy tickets for the remainder of the season if I wanted to.

26. bobw999

bobw999 A True Fan

I went to the game last Sunday. It was great, fun, exciting, I screamed my butt off. You don't know how badly I want to go again this Sunday, but I honestly don't have the money.

I'm not a lazy band wagon fan, I just don't have the money to go to another game this season.

27. NYPhinzFan

NYPhinzFan Scout Team Donator

Palease, I lived in Miami for a long time, that is not the reason. Even before the recession this was an issue. Fans who live near the poverty line were never going to a Dolphins game, before or in the future, and "poverty" is not an issue in most of the cities/neighborhoods in south Florida. Sure You have your liberty city's, opa lockas and overtowns, but you have plenty of your Gables, cutler bays, kendalls, hammocks, miramars, Weston's, pembroke pines, hollywoods and on and on. Tons of middle, upper middle and above.

I hate when you guys use these excuses. Say you're not going to the game because "you don't want to". I'll respect that, because in the end you are not required to, but these excuses...

Nice stat for you guys:

Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Oakland, Tampa Bay are all teams that have been as successful as we've been, and are in worse economic shape than you claim South Florida to be in, yet they still trump us on attendance.

I feel so helpless here in NY!! Don't worry Phins, I'll make it down to support you guys...

28. Vertical Limit

Now all we need is someone to bring up the Los Angelas bull **** and this thread has been as predictable as always.

29. Nublar7

Funny that so far you are the only one to bring it up in this thread. Twice.

30. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

You cannot blame the people in South Florida. The economy stinks and when you have to pony up $50 to $100 for just a nosebleed seat out in the 90 degree heat, many people are preferring to stay at home or watch the game at a sport's bar. I wish I lived close enough to take in a game in person. You also have to look at all of the other options people have in Florida, like going to the beach on Sunday....it is not like living in Green Bay where there is nothing else to do but watch a game. I think the Packers have a waiting list for season tickets that makes you wait 35 years to get tickets. Screw that.

31. luduporcu

luduporcu Banned Hammered

The beach doesn't have to cost a penny.

32. electrolyte

You spew garbage. That's all that is when you try to counter my post with just empty non-factual statements. Here is an article from 2007 :

The City of Miami has one of the highest poverty rates and one of the lowest median incomes among large US cities, according to the Census Bureau's American Community Survey released Tuesday.

The survey places Miami's poverty rate at 26.9%, well above the state average of 12.6%, Miami-Dade County's 16.4% and the national average of 13.3%.

Miami residents living below the poverty line have the added burden of dealing with some of the nation's highest median housing prices.

------------------

This is NOT a new problem, either. This is an article from 2001 Sun-Sentinel : http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...i-dade-s-population-broward-miami-dade-county

Miami's Poverty Rate Is Worst Of U.s. Cities

One of every three you see probably lives below the poverty level, the highest percentage in the nation.

33. Nublar7

So, do you think that a winning team in the future won't fix the attendance problem?

34. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

Yep.

The at home experience rocks.

Dolphins game on one tv and the other has redzone.

It's great. I love it.

35. Vertical Limit

Half of my prediction already came about on this thread and you added onto it as predicted. Until you live in Miami for more than 5 years you have no right to talk the garbage you do about the locals here. When Jacksonville moves to LA you're free to migrate to that team, thanks.

36. NYPhinzFan

NYPhinzFan Scout Team Donator

Sure you can. I lived there, witnessed the apathy in living color. The average South Floridian doesnt go to the beach as often as you think. It's like everything else in life, when it's always available to you, you rarely use it. Tourists such as yourself would literally live at the beach if you moved there, after 5 years of living there, not so much.

37. electrolyte

When the team starts winning, and assuming the economy stays how it is now for the foreseeable future, they will be able to compete with the Miami Heat for the limited amount of people who have disposable income.

As of now, kids beg their parents to go to Heat games, not Dolphin games.

38. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

I'd also add that sports bars have grown like wild fire here the past 10 years...

Many folks are either staying home or going to those on Sunday.

The NFL makes more money from TV deals than people going to the games anyway.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Out of towners really think everyone has thousands of dollars to throw away on a bad product...Good lord.

39. Nublar7

I haven't really said anything negative about the local fans in this thread. Though if I did offer an opinion, I have every right to do so. Free country.

40. electrolyte

Again, it's not apathy. Miami is a struggling economic city, with one of the worst poverty percentages in the nation, one of the worst average median income per household numbers, and one of the highest residential costs of living in the nation. Combine that with the terrible economy and the Miami Heat being one of the best teams in all of sports, and the Dolphins are competing with a limited amount of people with disposable income.

Stop trashing the people of Miami as "bad fans". The harsh reality is a lot of people cannot afford it, and would only make the sacrifice if the team was exciting.