Bobby Wagner?!? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bobby Wagner?!?

Bobby Wagner is 32 years old and will by 33 by the start of the season. Last season he was paid $10M (part of a 5 yr $50M deal that the LA Rams shortened to just 1 season). He's still a good middle linebacker who is skilled at reading the Offense, but his best days are behind him. Seattle and the LA Rams have effectively let him go in successive seasons, presumably because he's too expensive. I'd look elsewhere to find our long term middle linebacker. However, if Vic Fangio is adamant and wants him as the key defensive acquisition, I could be persuaded.
The Rams aren’t cutting him because he can’t play. He was an All Pro and one of the best linebackers in football last season. They’re mutually agreeing to part ways because he joined the Rams to contend for a title and the Rams now suck and need to rebuild, so it doesn’t make sense for him or for them to keep an expensive 33 year old All Pro on a roster that isn’t going to the playoffs any time soon.

Do you go with Wagner or a player like TJ Edwards form the Eagles?

:ffic:
I like Edwards a lot as a player, but he’s slow as molasses. He has some limitations that would be hard to scheme around.

Do you go with Wagner or a player like TJ Edwards form the Eagles?

:ffic:
I would have Wagner and Edwards as my top two. Wagner is a better athlete, but older. Edwards already knows the system and Fangio knows him. There is an additional value in him teaching the others and he'd be like a coach on the field. Edwards was the 6th highest graded LB in the league last year per PFF in basically the same system we'll run here. He's already proven that whatever limitations he may have physically, he is a top 10 LB. IMO it's like when people claimed Zach Thomas was slow. When you factored in how fast he diagnosed plays and his instincts, he was faster than the "fast" LBs taken way before him.

So to answer your question, it would probably come down to cost and desire to be here. I'd be thrilled with either player.

I have LB as the top need for us and the one we'd be smartest to address in FA. I also don't think he'd be difficult to afford at all. I think you can do a couple of easy restructures and take care of it. Plus with Jones retiring that could take something like $13 mill off the books.

If I recall correctly he wanted to stay in the west coast last year. Not sure if he’s open to going to Miami to play but money can talk.

makes me feel better about not trading for roquan smith. apparently good LBs hit FA a lot. Good pass rushers, not so much

Tempting, but he will be expensive, and up there in years.

I still believe as far as what we need, and how critical each is, my opinion is..

1. OT
2. Corner
3. Guard/Center
4. Backup QB
5. M-LB
6. Powerback

Though I have M-LB at 5, I really do think we seriously could use a dependable guy in the Middle that can also fall into coverage and not look bad doing it.

Wagner would be awesome to get, but the line, secondary, and finally someone dependable to backup Tua are just too important if Miami is going to make a run in 2023. Money is not as plentiful as it was last year.
For discussion sake, my list is completely different from yours. Given the very limited resources the Fins have this offseason, they'd like to kill 2 birds with 1 stone as much as possible (No birds were actually injured in this post).

A free agent T is way out of budget given our cap and the lack of a 1st rounder will certainly make getting a starter in the draft unlikely. On the other hand, TEs are much cheaper in FA, especially the ones who are more block oriented than receiving oriented, those specific types of TEs can be a huge help to OTs. Two birds, one stone.

ILB is another position where you get a very solid bang/buck in NFL FA, and really isn't very good value in the draft so it'd be my 2nd positional target in FA.

When it comes to the draft, there you can start looking for OL and CBs, although I don't see CB as a major need, they're still incredible value in the draft no matter where you pick'em... I'd really not give a **** if they picked one in every single draft, as WRs.

As far as RBs go, I'd be looking at RBs in the UDFA pool.

TL;DR -> 1) TE 2)MLB 3)Swing T 4)CB

I wanted Wagner badly last year. I still want him badly this year.

If he has one good year and falls off the face of the earth, then we release him. Whatever. He would instantly make this front 7 elite.

Agreed.

I understand cap concerns, but Wagner would transform this defense.

Depending on how the B. Jones situation plays out.... Miami may just make a play for Wagner and possibly Poyer.

Fangio did warn us if there's a player he wants he'll keep going to Griers office or something like that.

Wagner and Poyer, specifically Wagner seems like players that would make Fangio go to Griers office

For discussion sake, my list is completely different from yours. Given the very limited resources the Fins have this offseason, they'd like to kill 2 birds with 1 stone as much as possible (No birds were actually injured in this post).

A free agent T is way out of budget given our cap and the lack of a 1st rounder will certainly make getting a starter in the draft unlikely. On the other hand, TEs are much cheaper in FA, especially the ones who are more block oriented than receiving oriented, those specific types of TEs can be a huge help to OTs. Two birds, one stone.

ILB is another position where you get a very solid bang/buck in NFL FA, and really isn't very good value in the draft so it'd be my 2nd positional target in FA.

When it comes to the draft, there you can start looking for OL and CBs, although I don't see CB as a major need, they're still incredible value in the draft no matter where you pick'em... I'd really not give a **** if they picked one in every single draft, as WRs.

As far as RBs go, I'd be looking at RBs in the UDFA pool.

TL;DR -> 1) TE 2)MLB 3)Swing T 4)CB

I understand what your saying, but passing against Miami last year was way too easy, and though we have quite a few very good corners that can be solid or a little better, we do need to get a better starter, considering X might be in the final stage of his career.

Miami will not achieve to it's true potential unless they fix that line ince and for all, and to do that, a starting Tackle is a huge priority, whether they can find a solid or better R-tackle for a good price, or they get that tackle in the draft, it has to take priority over everything else, or Sametime next year we will be talking about what went wrong with the season.

LB is important, and Wagner would be an awesome get...I would not be upset. On the other hand if we can not better talent on the O-Line, or another corner we can count on, it's going to mean little who we have at LB.

Like everything, just my opinion, things will happen as they will happen, and I will still no matter what support whatever they choose is the best strategy to get us back to the SB. 😃

Last edited:
I understand what your saying, but passing against Miami last year was way too easy, and though we have quite a few very good corners that can be solid or a little better, we do need to get a better starter, considering X might be in the final stage of his career.

Miami will not achieve to it's true potential unless they fix that line ince and for all, and to do that, a starting Tackle is a huge priority, whether they can find a solid or better R-tackle for a good price, or they get that tackle in the draft, it has to take priority over everything else, or Sametime next year we will be talking about what went wrong with the season.

LB is important, and Wagner would be an awesome get...I would not be upset. On the other hand if we can not better talent on the O-Line, or another corner we can count on, it's going to mean little who we have at LB.

Like everything, just my opinion, things will happen as they will happen, and I will still no matter what support whatever they choose is the best strategy to get us back to the SB. 😃
I totally get your point... But its just not realistic given the situation... If you want a starting OT in FA, it'll be the only player you get in FA. If you want a starting OT in the draft, good luck with that 2nd rounder, they've been throwing 1st round picks at the position for decades now without any kind of success. If you cant afford one, then the next best thing is to get the ones you have some help.

I totally get your point... But its just not realistic given the situation... If you want a starting OT in FA, it'll be the only player you get in FA. If you want a starting OT in the draft, good luck with that 2nd rounder, they've been throwing 1st round picks at the position for decades now without any kind of success. If you cant afford one, then the next best thing is to get the ones you have some help.
Basically agree. There are starting RTs we could add in FA, but the only one that is a definite upgrade over Austin Jackson is McGlinchey and, like you said, he’s probably our only significant addition if we empty the coffers for him. Most likely is that we add a veteran swing tackle (Eric Fisher?) who can push Jackson for the starting spot or someone like Andre Dillard who has the same kind of potential as Jackson but hasn’t put it together yet.

Back
Top Bottom