Bolts may keep Brees,Trade Rivers. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bolts may keep Brees,Trade Rivers.

NathanHunt said:
Getting back to part of the original question, San Diego already has 20M under next years cap. You NEVER give up a PROVEN commodity for an UNKNOWN one. Just because he was picked in the 1st round, doesn't mean Rivers IS THE GUY.

Also, you cannot say for certain that Brees is showing what HE IS. This could be a fluke year. And, I believe the EASIEST decision to make... KEEP BOTH.

Franchise Brees and give him the start. Wait for him to implode. If he does or doesn't implode, delay your decision one more year to at least base your decision AFTER he has had 4 years to prove himself.

Realizing the boat load of picks San Diego got in compensation for the Manning trade, I don't think you should be GREEDIER by wanting to acquire more picks for Brees. I think the smart money is too take advantage of having POTENTIALLY 2 FRANCHISE QBs and discover WHICH is the one for you. At least make sure you choose the right one. Remember, winning is not about acquiring picks... it's about MAKING the RIGHT picks. Getting more picks doesn't mean you are winning. It might mean you are showing your best QB the door because you can get 2 draft picks for him. Draft picks don't win SBs.... players do.

Don't simply trade Brees in fear of him losing value. You have a situation in which teams DREAM of being in.... so, make the right decision then move forward.

I've said this about us this year and I'll say it about them... DO NOT SCREW UP REBUILDING.
Excellent post .I really believe the Bolts will keep both of them for at least one more year.That way they find out if the Brees improvement is a fluke and maybe they will get a chance at looking at Rivers if Brees gets injured.They have the best of all worlds and they still have plenty of picks to keep improving.

Brees having a fluke year?The guy is playing outstanding football.You don't put up those stats by coincidence.

Delhome had a very mediocre season when Panther made superbowl and look how he was rewarded before start of the season.

I was hopin that the fins would take Rivers last year in the draft so maybe we could get him now but who would we trade for him 2006 draft choices ?

minus said:
Brees having a fluke year?The guy is playing outstanding football.You don't put up those stats by coincidence.

Delhome had a very mediocre season when Panther made superbowl and look how he was rewarded before start of the season.

Yes, there is a thing called Fluke. And it happens more than you realize. You may not remember Scott Mitchell. But, he is the epitamy of FLUKE.

Another oversight to make is equating greatness with statistics.

A FAIR evaluation of Brees should be made. LT is having an injury riddled year. The Bolts have had to rely more on the passing game. BUT, there are THREE factors that have been overshadowed by Brees' great year... that might be MORE important.

1) Antonio Gates - In only his second season, Gates is setting unprecedented standards at the TE position. Amazingly, teams are still defending him as a traditional TE. I THINK more teams MIGHT start defending such game changing TEs with their premier cover corner. When Denver did this earlier this year against Gonzalez, it completely shut down the KC passing game. I believe we may see Champ Bailey on Gates this Sunday. Gates' emergance has transformed the passing game and alleviated pressure from a once floundering WR core.

2) WRs stepping up - The Chargers have transformed a WR core, nearly the worst in the NFL last year, into a very formidable 1 - 2 punch. As the year has progressed and injuries developed, Eric Parker (3rd year), pre-injury Reche Caldwell (3rd year) and recently acquired Keenan McCardell have suddenly began playing to potential. McCardell's QUICK acclamation to the system and sure handed catching abilities have transformed into a great mid-season pick up. Parker and Caldwell are simply progressing according to the NFL's unwritten 3 year WR rule.

3) Newly solidified OLine - The Chargers were rumored and thought to have the worst offensive line in the NFL. However, after jettising two key components (T and C), they have quietly retooled the line into a formidable unit. They are protecting Brees and allowing him the necessary time to make the correct reads.

All 3 components have matured at the same time. However, I think what is really taking place is a 3 year maturation that began with the Vick/Tomlinson draft. In that draft, the Chargers traded down to acquire LT and, with their additional pick, Brees. Brees and his WRs are maturing into their 3rd year. In the NFL, this is the "magic" year. Either players begin producing at this juncture or they are officially labeled as "busts".

I think the Chargers drafting of Rivers showed impatience with waiting. However, when Rivers held out, he allowed Brees to continue his growth and arrive at the 3 year mark without being benched too early.

Now, I say the potential exists for him to be a FLUKE. Why? Because one must not overlook the significance of having Rivers on the bench. Knowing the annointed Franchise QB is simply waiting for injury or the next interception, Brees has had plenty of motivation to accelerate his maturity a little quicker and play "perfectly". Not too mention, having this many components mature at the same time around him, you must fairly assess that some of his success is a result of the players around him.

I honestly feel EVERY organization should surround their QB with talent. However, some organizations are not as fortunate to do so with injuries and salary cap pressures. To correctly assess Brees, more time is needed.

San Diego entered the season as expected losers dwelling at the bottom of the league. Their success is new found.... they should be given time to see how they are going to handle it. Giving Brees one more year will allow him and the team to walk into camp with targets on their backs. Being considered a threat to win the Super Bowl changes how other teams approach you.

Give him one year with NFL defenses taking notice of his abilities and scheming against trends that have developed over this year. See if he can still succeed when Gates and the passing game is better defended. Let's see if he can do it AFTER he has a winning season.

Remember, one great season does not make a career. That's why they call them FLUKES.

Back
Top Bottom