Booker best offensive hope to make Sparano's unforcasted system work | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Booker best offensive hope to make Sparano's unforcasted system work

so let me get this straight? Booker's on-field performance last year qualifies as "nothing"?

The job of a columnist is to form opinions based on both the known and the unknown.

I guess that according to your logic, we shouldn't discuss the draft since we know nothing about what the personnel folks are really thinking about the prospects and because they have not completed their evaluations in full.

Let me straighten this out for you.

Never said Booker performance was nothing. Actually from the little I saw of him I'm more excited at his possible potential. He was about the only giant spark at the end of a truly dismal season ( and our fair share of injured RB's.).And I and any sane fan would have been shocked if the staff didn't let him continue his progression in the NFL to truly see what his full potentials are.
But all of our RB at times showed talent and if these were the only players we had starting next season we definitely be centered on the Ground game.
But it's early and we haven't even picked up one new significant player yet so fantasize all you want but it's just a little more interesting when there is some level of logic involved.

I guess I'm old school and like columnist who bring some level of substance and reality to the table in making their judgements. But it looks like in todays world thats not necessary any more...to bad.
Now if he were to base the article on his rookie performance and not that those two tied statements told us anything, I'd give the guy some credibility.

Hey but if it works for you thats fine, everybody has a right to their own opinions no matter how inept others my think.....:rolleyes2:

Booker didn't start early on because he projects as a third down back and struggles with blocking, which is very important for that position. He's really not an every down back as he will struggle immensly in running up the middle also.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the kid. I liked watching him on Saturdays in Tallahassee and I'll enjoy watching him on Sundays in Miami. However, he has some serious limitations.

I'm not so sure he'll be able to handle a full season of 15-20 touches a game. I would think something along the line of 5-10 would be better because I think his fram is too small to handle a 16 game NFL season.

One of the reasons he was successful when he did play is that he was a bit of an unknown. On a team with few threats he couldn't make the field. Also he hadn't gone through a season's worth of pounding on his body so he was probably more fresh.

He definately has a ton of upside though: quick, slippery, smart, a leader, and hardworking. I think it'd be great if we could start him in the backfield with Maui or Brown and motion him out to the slot. Putting a LB on him could cost a defense big and rolling a safety over him gives Ginn more room to work down the field.

To me Ricky is the guy that could transform this team...he's still the most talented player on the Dolphins and if he's healthy and ready to play and our passing game is effective, Ricky running the ball will be huge. I just can't see anyone starting the runningback position on this team other than Ricky and if he's not he will be by midseason.

He definately has a ton of upside though: quick, slippery, smart, a leader, and hardworking. I think it'd be great if we could start him in the backfield with Maui or Brown and motion him out to the slot. Putting a LB on him could cost a defense big and rolling a safety over him gives Ginn more room to work down the field.

This is something I always thought would be best suited for Booker. Why can we not line him up in the slot more, or motion him out of the backfield? The guy has quicks and hands, and is very elusive in the open field.

I could envision lining him up in the same backfield as Ronnie, then motioning him out to the slot, or even out wide (see Kevin Faulk in the superbowl). Defenses would have to respect his ability, thus opening more lanes for Ronnie in the running game, and giving Beck (or whatever quarterback we start) another option in the passing game.

Does Booker project at all as a slot receiver? Why or why not?

To me Ricky is the guy that could transform this team...he's still the most talented player on the Dolphins and if he's healthy and ready to play and our passing game is effective, Ricky running the ball will be huge. I just can't see anyone starting the runningback position on this team other than Ricky and if he's not he will be by midseason.

This ain't 2002 bro.

This teams best offensive hope is RONNIE BROWN. Not Booker, or Williams, or anyone else. Any coaching staff building a new system around a player on this team will choose to base that system on Ronnie or they should be fired. Any other thought is delusional.

Hey but if it works for you thats fine, everybody has a right to their own opinions no matter how inept others my think.....:rolleyes2:

That's all I need to know about you. You're one of those high and mighty types that is quick to condescend and thinks they've got it all figured out.

Thanks for your input on what a columnist is or what makes for good reading.

I'll make sure to ignore your input in the future.

This is something I always thought would be best suited for Booker. Why can we not line him up in the slot more, or motion him out of the backfield? The guy has quicks and hands, and is very elusive in the open field.

I could envision lining him up in the same backfield as Ronnie, then motioning him out to the slot, or even out wide (see Kevin Faulk in the superbowl). Defenses would have to respect his ability, thus opening more lanes for Ronnie in the running game, and giving Beck (or whatever quarterback we start) another option in the passing game.

Utilizing him in the slot would be a great way to get him on the field more often without having to sacrifice carries for Ronnie.

My colleague J.D. put together an interesting perspective on Lorenzo Booker:
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21401.html

I tend to agree that Booker could be a key deciding factor in terms of the effectiveness of this offense.

What do you all think?
Although I don't like Booker running in between the tackles, at all, I have to admit that he made utter "WOW" on several occasions in just a few short games. That's usually a good way of forecasting whether a player is going to be something special. Now, can Sparano and Henning use him correctly?

This ain't 2002 bro.

This teams best offensive hope is RONNIE BROWN. Not Booker, or Williams, or anyone else. Any coaching staff building a new system around a player on this team will choose to base that system on Ronnie or they should be fired. Any other thought is delusional.

I have to totally disagree with you about Ronnie, I feel sorry for this team if they base the system around Ronnie Brown.

I think he project to the slot quite well. He's just as big, if not bigger, than Welker, and the Pats didn't have a hard time utilizing him in the slot. He's got quickness like nobody I've ever seen apart from Barry Sanders. Quickness is key in the slot. You've got to be able to make people miss in traffic, and he did that with very few opportunities last year; and a few times so much so that he just flat out embarassed the defender. My only question for him in the slot would be his ability to take hit after hit, although it seems he rarely takes a hit straight on...too much of a waterbug to zero in on a target with him.

I think we should give Lorezon Booker a shot he did good last year in the last games he played but Ronnie Brown would still be our starter. I would not mind seeing a 2 back system with Ronnie Brown and Lorenzo Booker.

Ronnie plays his best with Ricky. Booker will be used in the slot and in ST's and stuff but Bill picked up Ricky's option for a reason. Either RB may not be ready before the opener or Bill has more faith in Ricky than anyone else on our roster. BTW Bill don't like players that miss games every year. Ronnie has to do something this year. 4 years is enough and we have seen no where near a 32 million dollar back.

I have to totally disagree with you about Ronnie, I feel sorry for this team if they base the system around Ronnie Brown.
Why do you feels sorry? Ronnie is our best offensive player he is great he is better then Ricky Williams and If you dont think Ronnie is our best offensive player then who is? Here are Ronnie Browns stats from last year

PosNumPlayer ProfilePhotoQuick StatsTeamRB23Brown, Ronnie*
picicon-1.gif
CAR 119YDS 602AVG 5.1TDS 4Miami Dolphins

Why do you feels sorry? Ronnie is our best offensive player he is great he is better then Ricky Williams and If you dont think Ronnie is our best offensive player then who is? Here are Ronnie Browns stats from last year

PosNumPlayer ProfilePhotoQuick StatsTeamRB23Brown, Ronnie*
picicon-1.gif
CAR 119YDS 602AVG 5.1TDS 4Miami Dolphins

I feel Ronnie is an average RB with loads of physical talent...but I'd love to see him and Ricky carry the ball again.

Back
Top Bottom