Booker could be more than just a backup for Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Booker could be more than just a backup for Dolphins

i seriously don't understand why everyone is on this dudes jock already...what he juked out guys who can't hit him in OTAs wow thats impressive...oh and a dude who was the number 1 recruit coming out of high school yet does nothing once he's in college. come on guys lets see what this kid can do in pads before we put labels on him and handing him the starting job over ronnie. I hope Lobo turns out to have success like leon washington did with the jets or even as explosive as Reggie bush is, but i'm not holding my breath.

I know he is good but people need to stop overrating him he isn't better then Ronnie.

Relax fellas. No one is saying he is better than Ronnie, just that he'll get his fair share of playing time. Which is very likely given the fact that Ronnie hasn't played a full season yet and its obvious that you need two solid backs in the NFL these days.

He is Ronnie Browns back-up plain and simple. Ronnie is our #1 back. Booker will be a change of pace, situational player. Booker will have plenty of opportunities to contribute but Ronnie will get the bulk of the carries.

Ronnie will play early in games to wear defenses down and Booker will play more later in games than Ronnie. Midway through season Booker will get more playing time than Brown after he proves he is better and more versatile. Booker is too small? Isn't that what they said about Emmit Smith, Barry Sanders, Warrick Dunn, Clinton Portis, Terrel Davis, Ladanian Thomlison..etc.!!!:D

I don't think it's a fact that Ronnie is better than Booker, or vice versa. They both have very attractive skill sets. Ronnie Brown is a RB that can carry the load and have multiple 100+ yard games and have some breakout runs---as well as displaying receiving skills. Booker can break it out and score on the big ones---50-80 yd TDs either on runs or catching the ball. I think it would be nice to see some sets where Ronnie lines up at FB and Booker at RB (like Ricky and Ronnie) or have Booker in the slot and Ronnie at RB...or vice versa.

I don't think Booker has the capabilities of carrying the load, but didn't they say that about Warrick Dunn?

I dont think RB is going to carry much of a load at all this year, especially when Cam opens up the offense.:err:

I disagree, A passing offense takes some time to get workign correctly, timing on routes, who is the safety valve (and is good at it...) and the O-line getting it's assignments done correctly.

The running game is a different animal altogether, and with Schlesinger, we more then likely be seeing RB early and often in the season unitl the passing "O" get's itself together.

That's why we watch the games after all...:)

I don't think Ronnie will get hurt this year so Booker is going to have to EARN any more additional time than what the staff has in mind. If he doesen't "steal" some time away by taking advantage of his oppotuntities than its going to be even bigger doses of ronnie Brown.

I wont be surprised if we see Brown at the FB position and Booker at TB.
Cam will cross up D's with that look and send Booker in motion against a LB, then hand the ball off to Brown matched 1-1 against a 6 front.

I think Cam is going to create excellent match-ups with Booker.

This is what I mean about RB being very limited and a poor value at #2 selection. He just doesnt have the diversity in skills and attributes to be a threat. Yes, hes a power runner, and thats nice, but thats it. He doesnt create significant matchup problems for the D like Booker will.

We'll see Booker in the slot, in motion, as a single back, and in the shotgun running those famous draws and slip screens.

I dont think RB is going to carry much of a load at all this year, especially when Cam opens up the offense.:err:

Brown is a better receiver than LoBo or any other back we have. LoBo might be shiftier, but not faster than Brown. Brown's got top end speed and can break a long run better than you give him credit for. The idea that he's one dimensional is a result of Mularkeys' offensive, offensive play calling not necessarily his ability.

And if you look at Cam's history at SD, his feature back got the carries. His 'change-of-pace' guy got a few carries, but not very many. Brown will be the back that carries the load this year. Now, Cam will open up the offense, no doubt. That will only open even more lanes for Brown to run it.

Booker will be a gadget player this year...change of pace...maybe a screen back...but that won't be a significant number of carries from Brown. I will say that LoBo has the "potential" to do some special things...but that P word is dangerous.

A couple of things that have bothered me while reading this post...

All this talk about Ronnie being injury prone. You tend to talk as if it is him that is the main cause of being injury prone. Ronnie get hit by his own blockers just as much as he gets hit by opposing defenses. Our Oline is a HUGE reason as to why he has not been able to complete a whole season.

All the talk about Ronnie not being great... It reminds me of the old Jigga Jay Fiedler talk... When ronnie gets the rock... We win... When he doesn't we lose... Its that simple... I don't have the actual win/losses numbers on me but I believe someone else brought it up recently.

About Booker not being all that great. Lorenzo did not have an amazing college career ONLY because of the team that he was on. I am a DIE HARD Gator fan and I will honestly say that the kid is a monster. I hated him... But he's a monster...

I understand that people may be sceptical to crowning him a stud before we get pads on, but at least understand that the kid is good. And this is coming from people who have watched him for years.

BTW, Everyones takes on him strengths and weaknesses have been dead on in my opinion. Im not too sure about how he can run between the tackles but that not because of his size, its more because they didn't give him the opportunity in college. (Kinda like how spread Qb's have to adjust to taking the ball from under center. You don't assume they can't, you just wait for them to prove that they can.)

The "change of pace back" and or "situational player" seems to have become a position all its own now, so in essence, he's not just a back up.

Relax fellas. No one is saying he is better than Ronnie, just that he'll get his fair share of playing time. Which is very likely given the fact that Ronnie hasn't played a full season yet and its obvious that you need two solid backs in the NFL these days.

bro i'm straight i was just say lets see what this dude can do with the pads on before we begin making predictions on him.

You know sometimes im surprised with the comments ppl make, im thinking these ppl dont know football. Anyways besides being a dolphins fan my entire life im also a huge canes fan. i hate florida state period but i love the rivalry.
Let me begin with this lorenzo booker will be a very explosive player in the nfl period. He sometimes made the canes defense look silly and i remember a game where he was just dominating us and i was like wtf can we stop this kid please. Remember the hurricanes defense is always ranked in the top ten. That tells you something.
Cam and Randy Drafted extremely well this year and nfl teams are going to find out that the dolphins can beat anyone this year. One more thing i remember last year the dolphins were picked to win the sb i just laughed at that. The dolphins had no shot at winning the sb last yr because it did not have enough pieces to do so and well mularkey as OC was a joke to me. The positive out of last year was our defense even though it did allow big plays at crucial times. To conclude our team is much improved this year thanks to cam and randy. We will make a run at the playoffs this year, believe it!!!!

:cooldude:

bro i'm straight i was just say lets see what this dude can do with the pads on before we begin making predictions on him.

Fair enough, I think everyone is just anxious for the season to start. :D

I wont be surprised if we see Brown at the FB position and Booker at TB.
Cam will cross up D's with that look and send Booker in motion against a LB, then hand the ball off to Brown matched 1-1 against a 6 front.

I think Cam is going to create excellent match-ups with Booker.

This is what I mean about RB being very limited and a poor value at #2 selection. He just doesnt have the diversity in skills and attributes to be a threat. Yes, hes a power runner, and thats nice, but thats it. He doesnt create significant matchup problems for the D like Booker will.

We'll see Booker in the slot, in motion, as a single back, and in the shotgun running those famous draws and slip screens.

see, that comment tells me you don't know squat... nada...nothing about running backs

I don't think it's a fact that Ronnie is better than Booker, or vice versa. They both have very attractive skill sets. Ronnie Brown is a RB that can carry the load and have multiple 100+ yard games and have some breakout runs---as well as displaying receiving skills. Booker can break it out and score on the big ones---50-80 yd TDs either on runs or catching the ball. I think it would be nice to see some sets where Ronnie lines up at FB and Booker at RB (like Ricky and Ronnie) or have Booker in the slot and Ronnie at RB...or vice versa.

I don't think Booker has the capabilities of carrying the load, but didn't they say that about Warrick Dunn?
I watched both play; Booker is no Warrick Dunn, who excelled between the tackles, for whatever reason. Booker is a back I see as a "scat" type back...pops around the field like a water bug driving defenses crazy, but I never saw him take the ball on an inside run on a regular basis and make something of it...always wanted to bounce outside, which worked sometimes, but eventually defenses will play the run to the outside and challenge you. I'll still take Ronnie every day of the week and twice on Sunday...but I do like what LB brings to the offense.

see, that comment tells me you don't know squat... nada...nothing about running backs

You know why he made that comment? It's because everyone still has Reggie Bush on their brain and expect every runningback to be versatile. To tell you the truth that's not really the reality because to be an effecient runner you need run the ball, not be able to line up in the slot or whatever. It's nice to have a guy that can do all that but it's not a necessary by any means. You wouldn't see Bettis or Curtis Martin line up in the slot and they do just fine. Lorenzo Booker looks like he could be really good but i seriously doubt he's going to come in and take Ronnie's job or whatever.

Booker should provide Miami with a quality back up. That's what he is, and should be. That is an impact in itself. I'm sure he will be used quite often but for a player that average 4.8 yds per carry in College, he does not automatically fit the bill that a lot of people here are suggesting. He was never a big home run hitter at FSU either.

The problem with him seeing so much playing time is that he likes to get to the outside. That's where he does his damage. Ronnie Brown is excellent at getting to the outside and that could effect Bookers playing time. I think we will see them use both Ronnie and Booker in the backfield with Brown lined up as a FB. Then they will shift Booker into the slot. The possibilities out of the line up could drive defenses bananas.

I'd like to see him with some pads on before I anoint him to the hof.......

Back
Top Bottom