Booker could be more than just a backup for Dolphins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Booker could be more than just a backup for Dolphins

Ive read that Booker wasnt used much inside the Tackles. Is that right? If so then Ronnie Brown is our No1 and hes the power back and not Booker who will be the 3rd down back till he proves otherwise.
Not so much that he wasn't USED inside the tackles, he just tended to bounce everything to the outside. I hope he doesn't turn out to be the John Avery type in terms of favoring the outside and the slightest hint of the hole closing in on him.

he need to be bigger and i wouldnt look at the OTA to much becuase u are not hitting any body

You know why he made that comment? It's because everyone still has Reggie Bush on their brain and expect every runningback to be versatile. To tell you the truth that's not really the reality because to be an effecient runner you need run the ball, not be able to line up in the slot or whatever. It's nice to have a guy that can do all that but it's not a necessary by any means. You wouldn't see Bettis or Curtis Martin line up in the slot and they do just fine. Lorenzo Booker looks like he could be really good but i seriously doubt he's going to come in and take Ronnie's job or whatever.

But Ronnie Brown can and has lined up in the slot. He also takes the ball to the outside very well. He pounds it inside, he blocks, and more.

Not everyone can be a Reggie Bush, but as far as running the ball, Bush was not nearly as good as the hype, and most definitely not as good as Brown.

I wont be surprised if we see Brown at the FB position and Booker at TB.
Cam will cross up D's with that look and send Booker in motion against a LB, then hand the ball off to Brown matched 1-1 against a 6 front.

I think Cam is going to create excellent match-ups with Booker.

This is what I mean about RB being very limited and a poor value at #2 selection. He just doesnt have the diversity in skills and attributes to be a threat. Yes, hes a power runner, and thats nice, but thats it. He doesnt create significant matchup problems for the D like Booker will.

We'll see Booker in the slot, in motion, as a single back, and in the shotgun running those famous draws and slip screens.

I dont think RB is going to carry much of a load at all this year, especially when Cam opens up the offense.:err:
Brown can likely outrun and outmaneuver every linebacker in the league, and that doesn't create matchup problems? Besides, you must remember, this isn't Madden '07, it's real football, and real football requires a guy who can bust it up the middle on a regular basis, that's what tears the heart out of a defense, not the occasional 50 yard run that nets a total of 20 yards, or even the occasional 80 yd TD...that's nice to have, but make no mistake about it, it's only icing on the cake. And calling RB nothing more than a decent power runner is short sighted. If you recall, RB turned in one of the most amazing "home run" plays I've ever seen...the 65yd TD that included him cracking a couple of heads before turning on the jets. That made go "wow".

Not so much that he wasn't USED inside the tackles, he just tended to bounce everything to the outside. I hope he doesn't turn out to be the John Avery type in terms of favoring the outside and the slightest hint of the hole closing in on him.

Booker couldn't run inside the tackles because Florida States run game and O-Line sucked. The holes started to close and D-Linemen were already closing in on him thats why he always bounced it outside.

The O-Line started to gel a little at the end of the season and Booker got better. To little to late though. See game against UCLA

is brown doesn't pan out for some reason i see booker being similar to LT or bush

Booker couldn't run inside the tackles because Florida States run game and O-Line sucked. The holes started to close and D-Linemen were already closing in on him thats why he always bounced it outside.

The O-Line started to gel a little at the end of the season and Booker got better. To little to late though. See game against UCLA
Granted, Dunn had the better O-Line, but I can personally recall a dozen or so situations where the line appeared to have broken down and the hole disappeared...Dunn poked his head in, then came out the other side...he just had a knack for that, and he was on tough little dude...I just don't see that same kind of toughness in Booker...not man Warrick Dunn's in this league...he was very special in that respect.

Booker should provide Miami with a quality back up. That's what he is, and should be. That is an impact in itself. I'm sure he will be used quite often but for a player that average 4.8 yds per carry in College, he does not automatically fit the bill that a lot of people here are suggesting. He was never a big home run hitter at FSU either.

The problem with him seeing so much playing time is that he likes to get to the outside. That's where he does his damage. Ronnie Brown is excellent at getting to the outside and that could effect Bookers playing time. I think we will see them use both Ronnie and Booker in the backfield with Brown lined up as a FB. Then they will shift Booker into the slot. The possibilities out of the line up could drive defenses bananas.

I'd like to see him with some pads on before I anoint him to the hof.......

True! :kick:

Brown is a fine back that has not primed. As Ozzy mentioned, he is good at a lot of things. One thing Malarky did not do was get RB in the passing game. Ronnie was touted as having hte best hands in his draft class regardless of position. As for Book, IMHO he is here to compliment RB and I believe that Cam wanted a certain dimension of the offense and Book was the guy who fit what he wanted. As I have said before, he really reminds me of Nat Moore and I think that he'll be used a lot like he was on 3rd down. I see LB's, Safeties and nickle guys having a hard time matching his 20 yard quickness/shiftyness; if he has a good feel for the passing game I think he could be a terror on 3rd down. I also think that with he and Ginn, we'll see the return of the slip screen. With all of the skill guys you see a lot of differences in what they bring to the table, so I think that Cam will have a lot of options to create matchup problems. With Chris, Ronnie, book, and the other Book, people are going to forget about Hagan and David Martin who is a good receiving TE. It might take a while for the O to Gell, but for the first time in a long time, i think we have potential...the Oline is my biggest concern and I'm hoping that some big plays created by the talent keeps D's off balance enough for the Oline to get confidence and gell.

Ronnie is our lead pipe, and Lorenzo is our switchblade. You need both in today's dark alleys of the NFL world.

I think people are letting Chapman slip under the radar. At 5'8 and 245 he is a beast. I remember seeing him play for SD and didn't know we had him till I was looking at the roster the other day. In 2004 he got sufficiant playing time and averaged 6 yards a carry. Booker may be 3rd string and a situational back. Cam knows what Chapman brings and I doubt he was signed as camp fodder.

Back
Top Bottom