Boomer - Cutler a Stretch @ 15? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer - Cutler a Stretch @ 15?

SpeedRush99 said:
Yeah cause last year's did nothing for Caddy. :shakeno: :eek: Get real.

DeMarcus Ware I believe had a pretty big Sr bowl week and improved his stock.

fishypete said:
Anyone who picks due to what ANY player does or doesn't do in the senior bowl...is a fool. Scouts, headcoaches and G.M.'s don't give a hoot about those games....they look at years of film of players....they already have a idea of selecting....the Bowl games are like a bow on a present...no more.

Well FishyPete, I know from reading several quotes thru the years that you are dead wrong on this.

An unknown kid(on a national scale) from Western Michigan caught Shula's eye at Senior Bowl week....his name was John Offerdahl. Shula said that was what got him picked.

Hugh Douglas was an unknown entering that week, his play at practice and the game vaulted him into the first round and a successful NFL career.

Chad Johnson was way down the scale until he showed his stuff at Senior Bowl week, I know because he was one of two players I wanted the Dolphins to draft (Drew Brees was the other) in the draft we took Fletcher in instead, Senior Bowl week convinced me, his career has gone pretty well.

What you hear GM's and head coaches say is this, for many of these college players, particulary the small school guys, this is the first time they get to see them lineup against the best and see how they do.

So your statement that they don't give a hoot about this week couldn't be more wrong.

fishypete said:
I guess you didn't hear what Saban said at the last Press conference...concerning the draft. How he already has a list of players that fits his needs and his requirements. The bowl games and the combine are just a last chance showing....in a long road....and miles of film.

Obviously, thats what scouts are for, to watch college talent during the season. But to say the combine and senior bowl are meaningless is ridiculous.

fishypete said:
I guess you didn't hear what Saban said at the last Press conference...concerning the draft. How he already has a list of players that fits his needs and his requirements. The bowl games and the combine are just a last chance showing....in a long road....and miles of film.

OK ...but that's not what you said....You said that "they don't give a hoot about the game" Yes they do...it's another evaluation tool. Don't you remember Philip Rivers skyrocketing up the draft board after the senior bowl? Maybe they DO care about the game...or maybe Rivers just bought all the scouts, GM's, and coaches each a 12 pack with a card that said "PLEASE DRAFT ME!!!" :sidelol:

Bluefin are you sure???

BlueFin said:
Well FishyPete, I know from reading several quotes thru the years that you are dead wrong on this.

An unknown kid(on a national scale) from Western Michigan caught Shula's eye at Senior Bowl week....his name was John Offerdahl. Shula said that was what got him picked.

Hugh Douglas was an unknown entering that week, his play at practice and the game vaulted him into the first round and a successful NFL career.

Chad Johnson was way down the scale until he showed his stuff at Senior Bowl week, I know because he was one of two players I wanted the Dolphins to draft (Drew Brees was the other) in the draft we took Fletcher in instead, Senior Bowl week convinced me, his career has gone pretty well.

What you hear GM's and head coaches say is this, for many of these college players, particulary the small school guys, this is the first time they get to see them lineup against the best and see how they do.

I thought fishypete knew EVERYTHING!!!:confused:

A. Bluefin what the Hell did you say
B.Jay Cutler is Better than Omar jacobs in my opinion
c.im not lost just dont like to be disrespected and then not responded to

BlueFin said:

So your statement that they don't give a hoot about this week couldn't be more wrong.

Blue....Is there vast differences in the way scouts and headcoaches today look at players from ALL schools than when Shula drafted Offerdahl? You bet there is....how many small school players had a chance 30-40 years ago...to make it in the NFL....not many. Rice came from a small school....yet how many teams passed over him...and were wrong.
Chad Johnson way down the scale? The Cousin of Keyshawn and Samari Rolle...and he was invisible...right. Chad Johnson average 22 yd a reception in his last season...but he was down the scale....an unknown.

DolfanChris06 said:
A. Bluefin what the Hell did you say
B.Jay Cutler is Better than Omar jacobs in my opinion
c.im not lost just dont like to be disrespected and then not responded to

Well your making progress at least. Give Bluefin the benefit of the doubt..He may be off taking a dump. He'll be back.

fishypete said:
Blue....Is there vast differences in the way scouts and headcoaches today look at players from ALL schools than when Shula drafted Offerdahl? You bet there is....how many small school players had a chance 30-40 years ago...to make it in the NFL....not many. Rice came from a small school....yet how many teams passed over him...and were wrong.
Chad Johnson way down the scale? The Cousin of Keyshawn and Samari Rolle...and he was invisible...right. Chad Johnson average 22 yd a reception in his last season...but he was down the scale....an unknown.

Dont forget Walter Payton also went to a small school

IMO

The senior bowl is important but only about 5 to 10% of what scouts will be looking at in the big picture

Alex22 said:
Dont forget Walter Payton also went to a small school

It's along time ago...but I believe Payton played in the area....thats why the Bears knew of him and selected him.

fishypete said:

Pete, every year players improve their stock at Senior Bowl Week, while others hurt themselves, this is no secret, are you really not aware of that?

And yes, in a very very deep WR draft, Chad Johnson jumped above the likes of Chris Chambers, I remember that senior bowl and corresponding draft very well Pete.

fishypete said:
Anyone who picks due to what ANY player does or doesn't do in the senior bowl...is a fool. Scouts, headcoaches and G.M.'s don't give a hoot about those games....they look at years of film of players....they already have a idea of selecting....the Bowl games are like a bow on a present...no more.

Sorry Pete, but the week of practices are commonly known as the most important part of the scouting process. The game is irrelevant, but the morning and afternoon practices can put a guy up 2 rounds or down 2.

fishypete said:
It's along time ago...but I believe Payton played in the area....thats why the Bears knew of him and selected him.

Non the less he still went to a very small school

Back
Top Bottom