Boomer's Tuesday Combine Update - Derrick Johnson, etc | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's Tuesday Combine Update - Derrick Johnson, etc

Frankly after watching the combine...I believe Surtains value should rise...I didn't see a corner thats worth much...decent players...but no one special. And Derrick Johnson is another hyped player...I don't see him any better than Blackstock or ware, both of them looked as good in the drills...and lets remember...there's Merriman still to go...if he runs 4.5 times and does well in his drills...he'll be taken long before Johnson.

fishypete said:
Frankly after watching the combine...I believe Surtains value should rise...I didn't see a corner thats worth much...decent players...but no one special. And Derrick Johnson is another hyped player...I don't see him any better than Blackstock or ware, both of them looked as good in the drills...and lets remember...there's Merriman still to go...if he runs 4.5 times and does well in his drills...he'll be taken long before Johnson.

i think linebacker is one of those positions where drills really cant tell you anything... so much is based on instincts and reading plays that you cant simulate that stuff with drills... DJs got that far beyond any other LB in this class, at least i think so :)

arsenal said:
i think linebacker is one of those positions where drills really cant tell you anything... so much is based on instincts and reading plays that you cant simulate that stuff with drills... DJs got that far beyond any other LB in this class, at least i think so :)
I agree.:cooldude:

arsenal said:

Running straight 40 times aren't as important to a linebacker as how well he does turning his hips and running...thats why they do the drills. How do they react..can they switch directions...etc. I'm not saying Johnson is a bad player...just nothing special.

fishypete said:
Running straight 40 times aren't as important to a linebacker as how well he does turning his hips and running...thats why they do the drills. How do they react..can they switch directions...etc. I'm not saying Johnson is a bad player...just nothing special.
Tha same logic was being used yesterday to sing the praises of Arrington and Brown. Running backs have to do the same things you spoke of. Why then is a 40 time great for a RB and less meaningful for a LB??

Megatron said:
Tha same logic was being used yesterday to sing the praises of Arrington and Brown. Running backs have to do the same things you spoke of. Why then is a 40 time great for a RB and less meaningful for a LB??
It's not important to a RB, but tell the Brown fans that ;).

Derrick Johnson creates havoc all the field and attacks with explosion. I loved watching DJ play and I have no doubts he’ll be a terrific pro LB and a future pro bowler.

Went to BAMA ,my brother-in-law played on the offensive line at Troy ,plus I live in Dothan,Al about 1 hour from Troy so I keep up with them.

Megatron said:

40 times have there place...but each different type of player needs more than just a fast straight running 40 time....a running back that can run 4.4 time straight ward...isn't much good...if he can't cut...without losing much of his speed...a receiver that runs 4.32...and catches 5.00...will wind up delivering packages...the same thing for O-linemen...what they do within the first 10 yards is much more important than what they can do in a 40 yd race. If a defender has to run 40 yds....his defense isn't doing it's job...obviously. Thats why if you watched the combine...they have all kinds of drills...if running a 40 was the key...they wouldn't have to run them.

fishypete said:
40 times have there place...but each different type of player needs more than just a fast straight running 40 time....a running back that can run 4.4 time straight ward...isn't much good...if he can't cut...without losing much of his speed...a receiver that runs 4.32...and catches 5.00...will wind up delivering packages...the same thing for O-linemen...what they do within the first 10 yards is much more important than what they can do in a 40 yd race. If a defender has to run 40 yds....his defense isn't doing it's job...obviously. Thats why if you watched the combine...they have all kinds of drills...if running a 40 was the key...they wouldn't have to run them.
The 40 is a representation of an athlete's speed. It is the base for his acceleration and shows his initial jump in a sprint. A 100 yard dash would show a players over all speed and endurance.

The cone and shuttle drills are VITALLY important for linebackers. How quickly do they change direction, how much wasted motion is there when they do so, etc etc. Johnson isn't particularly instinctive, which is one of the knocks on him.

Namor said:
Went to BAMA ,my brother-in-law played on the offensive line at Troy ,plus I live in Dothan,Al about 1 hour from Troy so I keep up with them.

I grew up in Dothan. Northview HS, Class of 1992. My mom and brother still live there. My wife grew up in Headland.

Back
Top Bottom