Bowl games - Players to watch | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bowl games - Players to watch

I'm always amused when I read these threads during a game. Whichever player is having a nice game is THA BEST EVER and WE HAVE TO DRAFT HIM OR WE'RE STUPIDHEADS.

and players who have a poor game are HOT GARBAGE THAT ONLY A MORON WOULD DRAFT!!

I always wonder if they have to wipe spittle off of their monitors afterwards.

Plus you are all insane if you think Chase is not the best player in the upcoming draft! IMO (which is often wrong, and I am ok with that). Kid is amazing and sometimes you scheme one player and it benefits others.

That's exactly my point.
He's not as dominate as a pass rusher as the Bosa twins nor as dominant as the Watt brothers.
Further you see him getting pushed around in the running game.

Is that player worth a top 5 pick?

Chase Young is a good player but the hype to ability ratio is on a different plane than I've ever seen for a defensive player. Normally when it reaches anything like this level it's a true superstar defender, someone like Lawrence Taylor or Hugh Green. Those guys jumped off the screen via sheer athleticism and explosiveness. There was no need to supply a graphic to point out where they were lining up, as ESPN resorted to tonight.

That was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen during bowl season. I kept thinking...Dolphin fans want to draft the guy with the arrow pointing toward him.

I thought two segments of the game defined Chase Young. As already mentioned in another ANUFan post, when Clemson took over on its 5 yard line with slightly less than 4 minutes remaining and a title game berth on the line, Chase Young might as well not have been on the field. He didn't threaten to impact one play. It wasn't so much an indictment on Chase Young himself as the silly notion to draft an edge guy instead of a quarterback.

But the play I remember most is late third quarter. I had watched Chase Young all game. It was his typical monotone delivery regardless of where he lined up. But all of a sudden Ohio State shifted Young inside and the outside linebacker #5 Browning took Young's spot at left defensive end. That one play unfolded exponentially different than any other throughout the game. Browning exploded around the right tackle's outside shoulder and got to the quarterback in a flash. It was immediately obvious what had transpired. That tackle #73 Anchrum had been lulled into complacency by Young's ordinary speed and explosiveness. He expected merely more of the same. But once it was a more sudden guy with far superior speed around the edge, Anchrum was stunned and couldn't react at all.

It will be very interesting to see how Chase Young tests, if he indeed does those tests. Heavy legged guy. More powerful than he is given credit for on the bull rush but not nearly the threat around the corner. Every time I watch Ohio State, including tonight, I am more intrigued by at least a dozen players on that roster.

However I have no sympathy for them failing to reach the title game. They had a 2 point lead and 3rd and 3 at the Clemson 40 with 4 minutes remaining. Instead of an aggressive play call they resorted to a wimpy empty formation and threw a flanker screen on third down. I laughed. It was the epitome of a scared play call. Naturally it was wiped out, which is the deserved fortune of third down screen passes against top opponents.

It is incredible how frequently teams go on to lose the game once they make scared choices like that. At that point I would have been shocked if Clemson did not prevail.

Last edited:
I still don't think he did, he's still the same player coming out of that game as he was going into it. If you don't think that, you haven't watched enough of him. He's been that cusp first/second rounder and he's still that, he's not dropped further than that, if Larmar Jackson didn't exist he may have.
I have not followed Hurts' career and understand that a one-sided shellacking is not probably the best way to judge him, but what is it about him that makes you believe he is worth this high a draft pick? I honestly didn't see a single spark in his game, he seemed an uninspiring passer and a somewhat slow runner to me. I have to see at least a single amazing attribute to feel good about a first or high second for a player.

I'm always amused when I read these threads during a game. Whichever player is having a nice game is THA BEST EVER and WE HAVE TO DRAFT HIM OR WE'RE STUPIDHEADS.

and players who have a poor game are HOT GARBAGE THAT ONLY A MORON WOULD DRAFT!!

Some truth there. Still, it is hard to reconcile the hype that Young is "far and away" the best player in this year's draft as the media has hyped him, to seeing him have pretty much zero impact on the most important game to date of his college career. Was he completely schemed out? Maybe, but if you can be completely schemed out at the college level, you certainly can be in the NFL. His official stat line is 1 solo tackle and 1 assist against Clemson In a game where the rest of the defense played very well. I wouldn't be too harsh on folks Who find that kind of performance a bit incongruous with the hype.

Here is what I've been told by my family member, who's in sports journalism. They've spoken to all kinds of people within the NFL, NBA, MLB and the NHL, about players and teams. The Young is better than the Bosa's is NOT what was said. The chatter, was that the Bosa's are better.

Here’s my take on Chase Young FWIW.
He wasn’t schemed out yesterday. He had a really strong 1st Half. No sacks but productive - number of hits on Lawrence.
He’s isnt Nick Bosa - he doesn’t have Bosa elite strength. He doesn’t have elite bend or speed.
My critique would be he lacks a single elite trait that would distinguish him like for ex Bosa LT White etc. he’s not that but still - very very good. Top 10 talent.

Chase young’s inability to flatten to the qb showed up all over the place last night.

He’d win early gain his inside shoulder and his hips and could not redirect and flatten.

On repeat

Creed humphrey made it look easy in pass pro.

The holding call he had was a come off one man pick the other up and toss him to the ground. He destroyed the guy on the rep but because he hulk tossed him at the end they called holding. I hate those kind of holding calls.

Okudah allows too much separation in off. Probably my one biggest ehh. Fixable cause his tools are elite but I’m just not sure why he allows so mucb early cushion.

The easy answer would be doesn’t trust his tools but I don’t sense that.

You just need to stop trying to call others out.

You are the problem

Last edited:
Young wins with his hands, which is a positive overall and makes him a really good fit for Miami at DE, but you would prefer to see more athleticism from a Top 10 pick. There was a play where Lawrence pulled it down and scrambled (could have been a designed run - don't remember tbh) to the left (where Young was lined up), and he completely left Young in the dust on an inside fake. That lack of COD is somewhat concerning.

He's really good, but the hype is definitely out of control.

Thought Okudah played well, but he had a big/bad missed tackle on the final TD drive, and he was often hanging on for dear life vs Higgins. Faired better vs Ross, though. I think a healthy Higgins changes the complexion of the 1st half. Right out of the gate, Lawrence connected for a 21 yard strike to Higgins, where he showed his elite ability to use leverage and his frame to win, but he was out with an injury a couple plays later, and he looked a little slower in the 2nd half - though he still made a couple of big plays. A nice RAC play where he picked up a 1st on 2nd or 3rd and 10 near the Clemson GL and the 2 pt conversion (vs Okudah) after the last TD. There was another play where Higgins beat Okuda on a back-shoulder, and Okudah would have been flagged for PI in the NFL, but the refs really let the DB's play last night.

Lamb kinda reminds me of a more fluid less physical at the top of the route Deandre Hopkins. And I doubt he has those rediculous size and violent hands.

The guy I expected more from last night was Ross. Last year that looked like a future top 10 pick lock. Last night not so much.

Plus you are all insane if you think Chase is not the best player in the upcoming draft! IMO (which is often wrong, and I am ok with that). Kid is amazing and sometimes you scheme one player and it benefits others.

You can't scheme Burrow out of any game, that's my whole point and why QB's are so important. Hence why he is the #1 player in this draft. Young was not double teamed all the time last night, he barely effected the game.

Back
Top Bottom