Brady Poppinga: Gase might have lost the team | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brady Poppinga: Gase might have lost the team

No evidence? His direct predecessor took us to the playoffs 0 times. Gase, already once. That's pretty simple evidence.
That's not necessarily a direct result of coaching. How many field goals did Carpenter and Sturgis miss that would've won a game for Philbin? How many games has Gase won because the other team's kicker missed?

Has Gase lost any games because of a missed field goal or have they all been blow outs? Net points per season, per game lost, per game won, rush yards per game, redzone stats, situational stats. Do you have the answer to these things or is it just "well Gase went to the playoffs therefore is better." Because that's a pretty weak argument.

missed FG's and situational stats won't give you the answer either...
If the argument is that Gase won 2 more games than Philbin and got into the playoffs, then showing that Philbin lost more than 2 games because his kicker missed while Gase won because his kicker made it or the other team missed, then it would prove that Gase's coaching was not the reason Miami made the playoffs and Philbin's teams did not.
I'll post the stats in a separate thread to see how close the two are to each other.

That's not necessarily a direct result of coaching. How many field goals did Carpenter and Sturgis miss that would've won a game for Philbin? How many games has Gase won because the other team's kicker missed?

Has Gase lost any games because of a missed field goal or have they all been blow outs? Net points per season, per game lost, per game won, rush yards per game, redzone stats, situational stats. Do you have the answer to these things or is it just "well Gase went to the playoffs therefore is better." Because that's a pretty weak argument.
Right. That seems reasonable. Cherry pick random stats as proof! At the end of the day, the league is about winning. Phailbin was not a winning coach. Gase currently is. Joe had 4 shots at getting to playoffs, and he didn't manage it once. Adam did it first time.

Right. That seems reasonable. Cherry pick random stats as proof! At the end of the day, the league is about winning. Phailbin was not a winning coach. Gase currently is. Joe had 4 shots at getting to playoffs, and he didn't manage it once. Adam did it first time.
It's not random. You cherry picked one season where Gase had 2 more wins than Philbin. Philbin had 3 full seasons.
3 losses and Gase is 16-16. Philbin was 15-17 after his first 2 seasons and, again, with those totals so close how many were won and lost by a kicker? Because I don't think Gase was coaching the other team to miss a field goal or Philbin coaching his guy to miss.

Also, I didn't use it as proof. I was asking if you had anything else like the things I mentioned. But, obviously you do not.

Based on...?
Gase has a record of 16-14 with QBs of Rayn Tannehill, Matt Moore, TJ Yates, and Jay Cutler as his quarterback. He also had to switch his offense mid season 2 years in a row due to personnel and lost his bye week this year. If you think he is comparable to Philbin I question your football knowledge.....

Can't tell if you're serious. Record? Gase made the playoffs in year 1. Philbin never made the playoffs. All you have to do is use your eyes though. Philbin wasn't a leader of men you saw it. Gase is
See the new thread. But I don't understand how Gase having 2 more wins makes him TWICE the coach. Seems like he's barely any better if at all. I agree the eye test is an important factor, but I disagree that Philbin's teams played any worse than Gase's. Gase has been consistently under prepared and his teams come out flat. Philbin's teams were as well.

Gase has a record of 16-14 with QBs of Rayn Tannehill, Matt Moore, TJ Yates, and Jay Cutler as his quarterback. He also had to switch his offense mid season 2 years in a row due to personnel and lost his bye week this year. If you think he is comparable to Philbin I question your football knowledge.....
TJ Yates? Nice try. Philbin had a rookie Tannehill. Gase had a more polished Tannehill. Sparano won as many games with Moore, Henne, and Thigpen. Is Gase as good as Sparano?

See the new thread. But I don't understand how Gase having 2 more wins makes him TWICE the coach. Seems like he's barely any better if at all. I agree the eye test is an important factor, but I disagree that Philbin's teams played any worse than Gase's. Gase has been consistently under prepared and his teams come out flat. Philbin's teams were as well.

Was the team under prepared by the coaches or did the players fail to learn from the preparation they were given?

I think many of our players have failed to learn and I see this problem as one of attitude. Maybe some of our players don't have the mentality to learn modern NFL systems, maybe some of our players have egos that get in their way and maybe some players don't really care that much any more. Maybe it's a combination of these attitudes, but the end result is an attitude that isn't helping them advance their team standing with the coaches and worse, it hurts the team when they fail to execute the plays when they are called.

The biggest problem I was aware of was that players were freelancing instead of doing their play assignment. This was serious problem last year and is still a problem this year. It happen with Maxwell. After being benched, his play improved. Ajayi was kept home one game last year due to his behavior and this year he was traded because he still exhibited that same behavior. Being a skilled player isn't enough! Being an effective player is what is important.

I think this is a problem on many teams in the NFL, with the Patriots being the only clear exception that I am aware of. I see this as a maturity problem that most young players and many experienced players have. I think it is due to believing that their stature in social media is what makes them valuable to a team, not if they perform as the coaching staff wants them to.

A glaring example was Kaepernick. His team stopped using him as their quarterback because he wasn't playing very well. It appeared they were going to cut him. How did he react? Did he work at improving his skillset? No, he did not do that. Did he do stuff to garner media attention and try to use that as leverage to keep his job or help get another? Yes, he did that. This constant playing to the camera through social media may be self satisfying, but unfortunately it ends up being self-destructive. I used Kaepernick as an general example. I could have used Brent Grimes wife's behavior on social media as an example, but that is one person removed from the player. My interest is with the players performance and I feel their performance goes hand in hand with their attitudes.

Gase has done every thing a reasonable coach can do to help his players improve. He has been lauded by our players as being a very clear communicator. He and his coaches have worked with the players to help them improve their skill sets. It seems when he feels there is no return on his investment in a player he will make an improvement at that position by replacement. A lot of posters say the coach has favorite players. What I see is the coach plays who he feels will play the best. When he makes a change it's for that reason. He needs to put in someone who will play better.

Back
Top Bottom