Brandon Marshall tendered for a 1st round pick ONLY | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Marshall tendered for a 1st round pick ONLY

etsudolfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
After months of speculation, rumor, and conjecture regarding the future of receiver Brandon Marshall in Denver, the answer finally has arrived.

He has none.

The Broncos have placed the first-round tender on the four-year veteran, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

As a result, Marshall can sign with any team. The Broncos have a right to match the offer, and if they don't they receive only a first-round pick as compensation.

The move likely will be interpreted as an indication that the Broncos are ready to move on. If they wanted to keep Marshall, they surely would have used the highest possible tender, which would have required both a first-round pick and a third-round pick as compensation, for a contract with a value only $600,000 greater than the $2.521 million payday that applies to the first-round tender.

The Broncos also could be willing to trade Marshall's rights for something less than a first-round pick.

Then again, some might think that the Broncos' goal is to get another team to sign Marshall to a long-term deal, and then match it. This raises the issue of the Steve Hutchinson/Nate Burleson poison pill, which no one has used since 2006 -- even though the device remains a viable tool for fostering player movement.

Our guess? Someone with a low first-round pick like the Ravens will sign him to an offer sheet. Whether the offer sheet contains a poison pill remains to be seen.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/broncos-place-first-round-tender-only-on-marshall/

Not that this is big news or unexpected, but I think I read some posts of him being offered for a 1st and 3rd. Since the price has dropped to only a 1st...he might be able to be had for less. Just throwing it out there...not saying we are going to make an offer

I think that will all about wrap up the "Marshall to Phins" talk.

I see the Ravens signing him...I think we will probably inquire, but I don't know if we would give up a 1st. Maybe a 2nd and one of our WR's

Very true, very true. Hope this year's different.

Just my gut, but I don't think Miami will trade the 12th for him.

Broncos can accept any trade.... the tender is just a guideline... Broncos will look for suitors and BM can also look for deals....

Yea if we had a later pick in the draft I would want to do this..but not the #12 pick in the draft...

A playoff team from last year should try and get him ..

Glad it wont be the Jets...I could def see the Ravens taking a crack at him..

That would be a really smart move on their part..They dont have any lingering needs and Marshall could open things up for them..

Cincy I would expect too to make a run at him..

Yea if we had a later pick in the draft I would want to do this..but not the #12 pick in the draft...

A playoff type team is going to get him..

Glad it wont be the Jets...I could def see the Ravens taking a crack at him..

That would be a really smart move on their part..They dont have any lingering needs and Marshall could open things up for them..

Cincy I would expect too to make a run at him..
then he could change his name to "Uno Cinco" :up:

maybe if we traded back into the late 1st round, we might do it, but I'm with you. I don't see us giving up a 1st for him period.

you wouldnt give up a 1st rounder for a 6'4 230 lbs 25 year old 2 time pro-bowler, 3 straight 100 receptions , 1000 + yard seasons...proven player...

vs some unproven player ---- people want Dez Bryant.....at #12.. with Marshall you know what your getting..

Ricky for a 1st was worth it... why not here? no?

Of course.. if Dolphins GM can swing a better deal.... fine.... but id be happy to exchange our #12 for BM

Back
Top Bottom