BREAKING: Dion Jordan signs! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BREAKING: Dion Jordan signs!

My understanding of the new CBA is that 1st round picks #'s 1-16 can be signed to 5 year deals. If that is true, wonder why they didn't try to get Dion Jordan for 5 years instead of 4? Maybe there is an option for a 5th year? I could have mis-understood the CBA changes for 1st round picks. Can anyone please verify?:confused:
According to the last CBA.

Section 3.Rookie Contracts:

(a) Contract Length. Every Rookie Contract shall have a fixed and unalterable contract length: (i) four years for Rookies selected in the first round of the Draft, with a Club option for a fifth year as described in Section 7 below; (ii) four years for Rookies selected in rounds two through seven of the Draft (including any compensatory draft selections); and (iii) three years for Undrafted Rookies.

Section 7. Fifth-Year Option for First Round Selections:

(a) Exercise Period. A Club has the unilateral right to extend from four years to five years the term of any Rookie Contract of a player selected in the first round of the Draft (the “Fifth-Year Option”). To do so, the Club must give written notice to the player after the final regular season game of the player’s third season but prior to May 3 of the following League Year (i.e., year four of the contract).

My understanding of the new CBA is that 1st round picks #'s 1-16 can be signed to 5 year deals. If that is true, wonder why they didn't try to get Dion Jordan for 5 years instead of 4? Maybe there is an option for a 5th year? I could have mis-understood the CBA changes for 1st round picks. Can anyone please verify?:confused:

I believe all contracts are four year contracts but the team has an option for a 5th year if it wants. The option though has to be the average of the top 10 players at his position. So the Dolphins can place a 5th year option on him in 2017 but the pay would almost be that of putting the franchise tag on him.

EDIT: Geforce beat me to it and did a better job explaining it. :up:

Wow! I was so nervous on this one. I really felt a holdout. Props to Jeff, Dawn, the agent and Dion for getting it done. Hope he is cleared to play full go.

Caps off an excellent offseason.

Dion appears to be a high character guy who enjoys playing football. I'm not surprised that he signed the contract. He wants to get out there and play.

Dion appears to be a high character guy who enjoys playing football. I'm not surprised that he signed the contract. He wants to get out there and play.

Also, the team insisted on the offset language, but did the same thing they did for Tannehill last year: they restructured the money a bit to be more appealing for the player. As I understand it, he is getting more of his signing bonus sooner.

Congrats to Dion Jordan and the Miami Dolphins

Great to have him officially signed. Now let's go kick some ass!

Right on the cusp of a new get real thread.

What a team this is.

This kid is going to be special. Im really surprised there hasn't been more excitement on the board over Dion Jordan. We drafted the best defensive playmaker available and not many seem to realize the impact Jordan can have on our defense.

Welcome aboard Mr. Jordan, let's hope you can acquire as many rings in miami that the other jordan in the nba did.

What a team this is.

This kid is going to be special. Im really surprised there hasn't been more excitement on the board over Dion Jordan. We drafted the best defensive playmaker available and not many seem to realize the impact Jordan can have on our defense.

When you have lost for so long, it is hard to get to hyped up. But I am hyped up anyway. I just hope this fantastic off season, turns into a fantastic season!!

What a team this is.

Think a lot of people are still curious as to how we'll use him. I had him as the 2nd best overall prospect - as a 3-4 OLB. I'm excited to have him, and I'm excited to see him play, but I'm just as curious to see which hats he'll wear (not to reference Kaepernic or Pouncey).

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 55m

Dion Jordan's agent tells me that Jordan is recovered from injury and surgery and it will be up to coaches whether to ease him in slowly.
Not sure who abramson is but good to hear.

And the dominos begin to fall, Lane Johnson signs a four year deal that includes offsets.

Offsets for top draft picks will be a feature over the next few years.

Back
Top Bottom