Brian Hartline

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolphintodd, Dec 25, 2012.

1. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I know this is beaten to death but I can't see why anyone would want him back. 1,000 yards and 1 TD? What? Can't break a tackle, can't catch a short pass and threaten anyone, and IMO is god aweful on the deep pass. I have seen the argument about Tannehill vs. Hartline in the blame game for not connecting on the deep pass. I forget who we played the first time this came up, I was in the camp that he didn't make any adjustment to the ball and picked it up late. BUT after the watching the buffalo game I am convinced that he sucks at the deep ball. In the last buffalo game just passed Ryan had some serious air under that ball and Hartline had absolutely no idea where the ball was until it was too late, it was terrible. Yes that play sucked but what I thought was worse was there was a deep out to the sideline, hartline catches it and falls down but wasn't touched he gets up takes a couple steps up the sideline and then proceeeds to dive out of bounds?????? Please some refute this, why couldn't he just keep running up the sideline, it didn't look like he was forced and simply dove out of bounds for no reason. Almost as bad as the week before when he was wide open for a TD but got tackled by a finger nail. If you want a starting receiver to have a career year and score once... well then hey lets kick field goals all day long...

2. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Lol great thread

I cant see why anyone would ever want a thousand yard reciever on the roster lol

3. dolphintodd

I like 1,000 yards, but I love Touchdowns even more...

4. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

Brother Hartline was playing through a bad back.

5. dbeals05

dbeals05 Tom Brady is the Devil

What free agent out there RIGHT NOW is better then him? He has been solid for us all year.

6. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

I hope we get a top free agent WR and use a top draft pick on one as well, but Hartline makes a decent #3 WR and I hope that we resign him for a few more years.

7. ucfphinfan12

ucfphinfan12 Banned Hammered

Well Tannehill threw only 12 - TD's all season and I believe 3 of those came last week? Hartline could have had one last Sunday if Ryan Tannehill had thrown it to Hartline's right shoulder (instead of outside to his back side left shoulder) and maybe 2 others in other games that I recall, where Hartline stubbed his toe, he was so wide open, he fell and got tripped up leaping over defenders arm.

-ucfpf12

8. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Funny how Hartline playing through a bad back is supposed to be some "plus", but Long playing through injuries is some "negative". ???

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

One main reason why Hartline should "not" be re-signed: we need his spot to bring in one of two UPGRADES.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Wallace and Jennings, for starters.

9. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

My main reason is that he and Tannehill obviously have great chemistry. Don't take away the one WR that has produced yards for us this season. Just add some other weapons around him and he should open up for more TDs.

10. Asicswrg85

Asicswrg85 A True Fan

You really thought this one through, thanks for the Einstein post. We need better Receivers beyond belief, so lets let the one guy on our roster who is decent walk. Yup, you figured it out

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

11. Themajster

Themajster NYC FIN FAN

This guy almost died in the offseason, misses all of training camp, then comes back to have the season of his career as a #1 wide receiver with a rookie quarterback and no other WR or TE threats. And you're upset because he didn't have enough touchdowns?? Can we get a reality check on this website? At least Hartline catches the damn ball. I remember a much higher paid #1 WR that we had last year that dropped half the passes that came his way.

12. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

And tell me brain box, did it occur to you if Hartline didn't have those 1000 yards then many of the important touchdowns scored by the likes of Bush and Fasano would never have happened?

Brian Hartline isnt really an end zone threat, that isnt how he is ideally used... that doesn't make him a bad receiver, to get into the end zone you need to get down the field first.

13. JayFin327

JayFin327 Well-Known Member Donator

It's obvious Hartline is better suited as a #2 WR. We really do need a WR that can stretch the field like Wallace on the other side to take attention away from Hartline.

14. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

No, it's obvious that Hartline is best suited as a #3 or #4 WR.

If we don't bring in a couple of very talented WR's, it's going to be another long year in 2013. One won't get it done.

15. Dolphan5876

Dolphan5876 CrookedFin

:rolleyes2: See how quick the patriots scoop him up if we let him walk!!

16. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Who knows, we heard the same thing with Ronnie Brown.
    Im thinking NE will draft a receiver. They have Loyd and will probably resign Welker over signing a guy like Hartline.

17. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

No excuse ...he's gone 30 games with 1 touchdown

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

That's an old tired excuse that people use when they don't want to lose one of their favorites

18. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Outstanding Idea! Especially since this regime set the precedent of ****-canning thousand yard receivers with Marshall.

Going forward, if a WR puts up 4-digit yardage, he should never see the light of day the following season! That should especially apply to naturally #3 WRs who by default are drawing the coverage of the opponents' best CBs and who can be often counted on to move the ball down the field, even though there's not a naturally #1 or #2 WR also lining up to make those Fitz/Johnson/Johnson/Greene type end zone catches. Who needs a dependable, team-oriented LOS moving overachiever whose threat draws double teams away from future #s 1&2 receivers anyway? Right?

19. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Ireland already ****ed up with Hartline, he should have been re-signed last offseason for $2-4 million a year. Now we're going to be looking at paying him $5-8 million a year in order to keep him. This is why I'm so worked up over the idea of giving Ireland one more chance in 2013, in my opinion he's already made 2 horrible free agency mistakes for 2013 by not extending Hartline and Smith earlier for much cheaper contracts than we'll have to pay to keep them now. He also ****ed up the Jake Long situation by not trading him earlier this season (assuming we are letting him walk).

Irelands 2013 campaign has already started out horribly.

20. nb901

nb901 Rookie

He does fall down alot...in fact, so does Bess...

21. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Hartline might not might a #1 WR but to get rid of him all together? I'd have to nominate this as one of the stupiest threads of the year......right along with the other threads about some people wanting to give Ireland another year.....lol

Ozzy rules!!

22. JKS4

JKS4 Well-Known Member

Im all for keeping Hartline. But its obvious we need a legit down field target and a big strong WR.

23. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Wow.. Now we have to read threads saying that Hartline cant catch short passes?!?

24. jlfin

jlfin old pro

I'm sure that Brady and Bellicheck would love to have him if the phins dont want him back. The Pats appreciate hard working smart players.

25. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Banned Hammered

I'm so surprised that so many of you want Hartline back.

Look around you: Cruz/Nicks, Julio/White, Jennings/Cobb/Nelson/Jones, Brown/Wallace, Welker/Lloyd/Gronkowski, Bryant/Austin,

All these great teams have STUDS at the number 2. Hartline is definitely no stud.

I really hope we don't bring him back. Your standards for your second wideout should be higher. Go get Wallace AND draft Keenan Allen. Let Hartline walk.

People think this thread is dumb? You're never going to compete with Hartline at the 2.

26. eddie4fins

eddie4fins Pro Bowler

The guy has been solid for us, all the stats do not tell how valuable this guy has been for this team.....

27. dolpns13

The dude had 1000 yards as a number 2 with no number 1. No doubt if we had a threat #1WR Hartline would become even that much more valuable.

28. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

The guy is probably going to end up with about 75 catches and close to 1,100 yards when all is said and done. I say that's pretty damn good considering what he went through this past offseason. Sure he's lacking TD production, but the whole WR corps is. If we bring in a Wallace, Bowe or Jennings, that number can go up since defenses will be targeting the receiver opposite Hartline.

29. Jamaicankid21

Jamaicankid21 A True Fan

People didn't even want Welker here anymore either. People complained about the SAME thing with Welker as they did with Hartline. Lack of big play ability and unable to score TDs. 1 TD in 2 years, then he goes to New England and lights it up. 8 TDs first year in New England. All of a sudden he can score TDs? It was the system, o-line, and the QB.. Hartline can be a legit WR in this league. We were 7-8 with him as a 1 and Bess at the 2. I think its smarter to keep Hartline and get rid of Bess and add some more playmakers Brandon Lloyd has had ONE good season in Denver and all of a sudden hes a Stud? Come on. 1 season of 1500 and the rest of your career is under a 1000 doesn't make you a STUD. A STUD does it over and over again.

30. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

You know what being a 1000 yard receiver with very few TD tells us, he is not a #1 receiver, but he could be an awesome complemetary #2 receiver.

31. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Banned Hammered

did you not watch the years with marshall here? or do those dont count? Hartline isnt good enough.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Ok so you pointed out that the new england guys arent that great, are better because of brady. awesome. well look at the rest of the examples, elite offenses have multiple studs, with 2's and 3's that are leagues ahead of Hartline.

It is very likely that we will groom a receiver from this draft to become our number 1, with all the cap space we have why dont we get a better player to play alongside that rookie? Go get Mike Wallace and let him be our number 2. I dont understand why you would want Hartline over Wallace.

32. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Oh so it very easy to get #1 and great #2 receavers....I am all for getting a #1 receiver in FA, and picking Keenan Allen or another of the top receivers in the draft, but that will not guarantee whomever we get in the draft will be able to play as well or better then Hartline. Get rid of Hartline, and there is a chance you need to go back to the drawing board.....kind of like when Miami lost Welker.

33. Jamaicankid21

Jamaicankid21 A True Fan

lol what? Pittsburgh is an elite offense? Giants?

Offensive Rankings

1. Patriots
    2. Denver.
    3. Saints.
    4. Redskins
    5. Falcons

What qualifies as an elite offense? The Elite offenses has a QUARTERBACK that makes their players better, that produce in the redzone and has multiple studs, also a system that they work well in, as well as a great offensive line. This team lacks talent, but Hartline isn't the problem, neither is Tannehill. The problem is we have no playmakers that go opposite of these guys. Dolphins don't spread open the field like these other teams because they don't have the weapons and the fear the pass protection is going to kill Tannehill. Hartline isn't a 1, but he can easily be a legit 2, and if you can add play-makers at the 3 and 4 to help spread the field that would be even better.

34. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Wallace, 8TDs, 836yds, 13.1y/c 64catches .. and that's with Brown catching 765yds, 64 catches, Sanders 598yds, 42catches and Heath Miller 816yds, 71 catches diverting the defense's attention

Hartline: 1014yds, 69 catches, 14.7 yds/catch with only Bess 778 yds diverting attention.

When you think about it, what a normally #2 or #3 WR has accomplished with a rookie QB and drawing double coverage in most passing situations, it's not all that less impressive than what Wallace has done with the benefit of the other passing threats, despite Wallace's 8TDs

35. BringBackDan13

BringBackDan13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, those 1,000 yard receivers you can just pick up anywhere. He's our best receiver. Why wouldn't we want to bring him back? The guy missed camp and has been battling a bad back and still shows up every week and gets it done for us. Our offense has been poor but he's been a huge highlight for us.

36. dolpns13

You mean with a HORRIBLE Chad Henne and a Matt Moore who is not better than RT throwing balls? Do you think the person throwing the football is not a variable when it comes to productive WR's? Name me any other #2 WR in the NFL, without a true #1 lined up on the other side of him, that will end the season close to or over 1,100 yards and average almost 15 YPC (which is very good).

Yes, it would be nice if he could break a tackle, however he was a guy with #2 talent playing the role of a #1 without a viable threat (Bess) opposite him. Defenses put their best cover guy on Hartline and he still got 1,000 yards. If we had a true #1 Hartline would not have been matched up with the defenses best corner and would have done even better IMO.

Shall we also discuss how he had emergency surgery, then had a calf injury and missed ALL OF TC and preseason, and then comes in and has a 1,000 yards season? But hey, Im sure there are lots of players who do not practice once before the season starts and go on to reach a recieving yardage benchmark. :rolleyes2:

In all liklihood Hartline will be on the team next year so you should probably get used to seeing him.

37. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 Well-Known Member

1/3 to 1/2 of the group of studs you are bring up are going to be doing the same as Brain come next Monday. And since when do great teams miss the playoffs.

38. dolphintodd

I guess we will find out in March. If he comes cheap then I would consider signing him back so when the fins acquire 2 WRs he can be cut and its not a big deal... doubt that tho. Its a numbers game Bess and Mathews are locks, I would probably say Moore is a lock too as the number 5 WR who contributes greatly on special teams which hartline does not. 1 FA and 1 draft pickand we have 5 WRs without hartline. If he is still on the team next year then once again we failed to bring in playmakers on offense...

39. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Matthews is a lock? Based on what? What has he done to make you think he is a lock?

How is Hartline still being on the team in 2013 equates to the Dolphins failing to bring in playmakers on offense?

40. dolpns13

Probably part of the same group of posters that considered Wallace a lock.