Brian Hartline | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Hartline

For all you guys that said he is good and if we have a good number one then Hartline is a solid #2. I absolutely hate this logic, what if this #1 goes down, now what? We are right back to having a WRs that don't scare anyone and can't score...

For all you guys that said he is good and if we have a good number one then Hartline is a solid #2. I absolutely hate this logic, what if this #1 goes down, now what? We are right back to having a WRs that don't scare anyone and can't score...

This is partially why I dont want us to get just 1 reciver buy also draft atleast 2 in addition to our FA reciver. Im of the mindset lets fix this once and for all.

This is partially why I dont want us to get just 1 reciver buy also draft atleast 2 in addition to our FA reciver. Im of the mindset lets fix this once and for all.

Its a numbers game, if we get 2 receivers this offseason then Hartline is out unless we keep 6, even then it might be difficult since he doesn't play ST

#3 Bess
#4 Mathews
#5 Moore - Your 5th wide receiver needs to contribute on special teams, yes over hartline.

Its a numbers game, if we get 2 receivers this offseason then Hartline is out unless we keep 6.

#3 Bess
#4 Mathews
#5 Moore - Your 5th wide receiver needs to contribute on special teams, yes over hartline.

Hmm would prefer to get a guy that can play special teams but can actually play wr so lets let moore go

Getting rid of Hartline is stupid. Uprade and keep him as a #3, maybe #2 WR.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Its a numbers game, if we get 2 receivers this offseason then Hartline is out unless we keep 6, even then it might be difficult since he doesn't play ST

#3 Bess
#4 Mathews

Sorry Moore is not the beginning and end of special teams he can be let go.

#3 Bess
#4 Mathews

LOL! Get rid of Hartline but keep Bess/Mathews/Moore, even though he's better than all three combined. But we can't lose the special teams WR, oh no!!!

What if we get rid of him and Ireland brings in 3 more Legadoo Nanees?

Last edited by a moderator:

Injuries are part of the game, see Greg Jennings this year, see Hakeem Nicks. Yes we need DEPTH at wide receiver, but that doesn't entail getting rid of Hartline to bring in 2 good WRs. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Its all about what Hartline's agent asks for if he wants too much let him walk but if he takes a reasonable contract why not keep a solid player

This Hartline love/hate always seems silly to me. I've liked this kid since day 1. He has some ability, a little size, more speed than he's given credit for, good route running and decent hands. He is the very definition of a solid receiver and most definitely a keeper. But, this talk of him being a #1 WR is just delusional homerism. Hartline is a competent WR who has been thrust into the #1 spot because our WR talent cupboard is BARE.

Bess is a subpar WR people ... no size, no speed, no physicality, no shiftiness. He is a guy with some quickness, good route running and good hands. Those are not hard to find. Bess simply doesn't have the physical skills to be effective anywhere except the slot. His slowness means he can be blanketed by a single CB at all times without fear of going the distance. His lack of size coupled with that slowness means only a perfect pass and outstanding catch will be a completion of more than 20 yards. He can get a little RAC, but he's not a big play threat in the least. I'd rather use a TE for the routes Bess runs because they punish tacklers and have a lot more play diversity. Between the Finheaven darling Bess and the lightning rod Hartline, it's no contest, Hartline is better, more versatile, and the only one that has a shot of making a good WR corps, IMHO.

As for Matthews, I like him. I liked him when we drafted him, and I was one of those people singing his praises in pre-season. To me, he's a legit WR with some power, some size, some speed, some quickness and a nice blend of determination and physical skills to be developed into one of our top 4 guys. But make no mistake about it, he has neither elite speed nor huge size. He must be a combo WR, because he's not a mismatch that strikes fear into the defense over the top or in the red zone. If he develops he'll be just a nice WR when it's all said and done ... but we need more good WR's.

Our WR corps needs a #1 deep threat to play the X (guys like Justin Hunter or Cordarrelle Patterson would be my choice), a quick guy with speed to play the Y (we need an upgrade of Bess), and one more guy with speed to rotate in at the X and Z. That's 3 new WR's. Hartline is a good 4th in that group and someone we'd want to keep ... but he's not a #1. Matthews should be kept and developed, but he hasn't proven enough to be guaranteed a spot if/when we tear down and rebuild this WR corps in the offseason.

The rest of the league knows Hartline is decent but not great. So does Hartline. Bad GM's routinely overpay for WR's that they overrate. We see it every year. Those WR's careers crater and eventually moving on is reflected on as a bad move for the WR too. I think Hartline is smart enough to realize he has a nice niche here in Miami with an excellent opportunity to build a good, solid, long career. Or he could take the Bad GM's money and get lost in the mire of a horrid personnel situation by a bad GM, losing team with a bad locker room and next FA cycle have to be explaining how the train wreck in the passing game and locker room unrest had nothing to do with him ... and hope the next GM that takes a chance on an old possession WR from a bad team is in a second-chance giving mood.

I don't think anyone here has said that Hartline is a true #1...Some good points, though I think Bess is a little better than you give him credit. Excellent quick slot receiver that's not scared to go over the middle for his size. Stokely/Welker are great examples of what Bess could be in the slot if we had a deep threat to go along with him, now that we actually have a QB (and no the Sparano/Henne years do not count as an example of this). I do agree with you that we need more good WRs though.

I don't like free agents in general especially WR free agents. If we go with a high priced FA WR I will throw up in my mouth over and over again.

As far as Mathews goes... lock. Did you see the play he made against Buffalo? That was beautiful. Look I don't hate Hartline I actually like him, but he isn't a play maker. He will never do anything after the catch unless there is a blown coverage. How many tackles did he break to get his 1,000 yards? My guess is a lot less than the number of times a blade of grass or a finger nail got him to go to the ground.

Sooo, Matthews is a lock because of one good play he had but Hartline isnt a lock after what he accomplished? How about Hartlines catch against Arizona? Matthews catch isnt anywhere near the same galaxy as that catch. I also havent seen Matthews break a tackle yet. I want Matthews to succeed but you are certainly overvaluing him at this point.

Back
Top Bottom