Bright future | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bright future

If you want to think we're heading in the right direction, that's fine. But comparing Bess to Rice is nonsense. Thinking our WR's are fine is nonsense. They stink. Worst group in the league and thinking the rookies will amount to much is wishful thinking. They might, at best, turn into average possession type WR's who do little in terms of gaining chuck yardage. Thinking it's ok to have these bad WR's because we run a WCO, is the biggest nonsense of it all. That's the only problem I have with the OP.

I hope you are even slightly wrong about the young WR group but you may be right. We will see. Even if the talent level has not improved you have to admit that Philbin/Sherman will use the WR group differently than Sparano did right? Lets hope that Philbin can do a good job of maximizing what we have and who know's, one of these young guys could turn out to be a surprise.

I hope you are even slightly wrong about the young WR group but you may be right. We will see. Even if the talent level has not improved you have to admit that Philbin/Sherman will use the WR group differently than Sparano did right? Lets hope that Philbin can do a good job of maximizing what we have and who know's, one of these young guys could turn out to be a surprise.

I hope I'm wrong too, but I'm just not seeing it. I have some hope for Gates. I liked that pick. Everyone else is just meh to me, especially Hartline. He's a #4 WR at best on a good WR group, and he's our #1. I do agree that Philbin will use the WR's differently. But there's also the fact we don't have Brandon Marshall anymore, so teams are going to cover us differently. They can cover any of our wideouts one on one and get away with it. They can press them every time and get away with it since none of them aside from Gates are going to consistently outrun cornerbacks playing them tight.

I'm actually more worried about the running game than anything. I fear Reggie's season was just a fluke taking his entire career into consideration. But most importantly, nobody is going to respect this passing game, nor should they. They'll stack the box every play.

The odds are hugely against R Bush having another rushing season like he did last year.

Plus on the plus side, D Thomas was really slowed by a bad hamstring the entire season. We have J Messam who looks to be a very good all around RB although I see him as a FB.

And then of course there is Lamar Miller who is a faster and bigger back then R Bush is.

I'm not that worried about our running game.

Love the direction we're going. Say what you want about RT but at least we finally chose a QB in the first round!!! Let's let him develop before we anoint him anything though.

A huge.... HUGE part of that is having the greatest WR of all time to open up the rest. Jerry Rice. I'm sure Phil Jackson rants and raves about the triangle offense, but having Michael Jordan and then later Shaq and Kobe run it sure does make it seem like the best offense of all time.

You do realize that Montana won two of those Super Bowls before Rice even arrived right? I don't think Dwight Clark and Freddie Solomon were that much better than what we have on the roster now by a large margin. Just saying...

You do realize that Montana won two of those Super Bowls before Rice even arrived right? I don't think Dwight Clark and Freddie Solomon were that much better than what we have on the roster now by a large margin. Just saying...

Just saying....

Matt Moore is as good as Joe Montana
Jerry Rice had no impact on the WCO, he was just a "route runner"
The WCO offense fixes all problems and you don't need good receivers
And Davone Bess will be close to Jerry Rice in this new offense

Are those the points you are agreeing with the OP on?

So why doesnt every team just run the WCO and win the superbowl every year?

You bringing up Montana winning two SB's has nothing to do with any of the points I was making. I never said Montana couldn't win a SB before Jerry Rice, or that the WCO was a terrible offense unless you had a number 1 receiver. I'm arguing with this ridiculous notion that the WCO is some magical offense that turns crap receivers into stars. You know what turns crap receivers into usable receivers, and good receivers into great receivers?.... Great Quarterbacks. Joe Montana is one of the best that ever played the game, but im sure he had nothing to do with making his receivers any better, it was all just a product of the WCO. Matt Moore is just as good as Joe Montana because of the WCO, and Davone Bess is the new Jerry Rice... lunacy lol, pure lunacy

again, somebody please attempt to bring in some real evidence that backs up this ridiculous claim that the WCO doesn't need a talented number 1 receiver. please dont post another 40 minute quarterbacking video on walsh that teaches quarterbacking mechanics instead. Find the one that says the WCO turns "crap receivers into stars with mediocre qb".

I has been a Chad Henne's supporter for years, but after seeing several videos of Ryan Tannehill I have to admit Henne will never pan out as desired and Jaguars are in trouble, as they have nothing at the QB position.

Why? Well I admired the arm power of Chad Henne and his bravery while playing, there was a point in the first three games of 2011, where it was obvious he was playing above his capabilities and he accepted every fault when his receivers were dropping balls in the red zone.

But Henne lacks of the leadership that Ryan Tannehill is showing in his first days as a Dolphin, Chad wanted to win by focusing in bettering himself, while Ryan wants to know each teammate and his efforts are on making everyone around him better day by day. Jeff Darlington recently expressed on miamidolphins.com he was amassed on how this kid resembles some of Chad Pennington's leadership. As example, Ryan shared with Michael Egnew a resumed version of the playbook he handled in TX A&M, just after the TE was drafted by Dolphins, so he could be on the same page during rookie camps. That's a huge difference about leadership.

Chad Henne has a cannonball but lacks of touch, he always is looking a way to improve as player, but even playing at his 110%, he proved inefficient.

On the other hand Ryan Tannehill is proving he has the physical skills, the touch and enough power on the arm, but more important he wants to improve as a complete leader.

It's easy to see a bright future in Miami with Ryan Tannehill, once he learns some tips about adjusting to the pro-level and handling his offense on the pocket. That surely can be taught, leadership is more unlikely to be learned.

That's the reason why Chad Henne never will lead his team to important goals.

Also our WR situation seems to be better than expected.

Why? Well, WCO uses a lot of TE & route WR to win short to medium yardage and move the chains. Go-to receivers & running backs that can catch add more potential but rarely define a WCO system. Brandon Marshall would be a risk and a huge luxury for Philbin's offense. The guy is a got-to receiver who has dropped important passes consistently. This offense can't afford such thing.

So having in mind Davone Bees owns excellent hands and has fine routing abilities, while Hartline has the size and speed of several go-to receivers in the league, we have solved WR1 & WR2, but WCO requires at least another pair of WR. Clyde Gates is a promising piece of this offense, while Legedu Naanee was added to improve the spot but is a long shoot.
The hardest piece of this offense is there are going to be several two-TE packs so Fasano requires a complement.

Dolphins could have a nice arsenal of receivers if ...
... Brian Hartline is above his 2008 production & Davone Bess recovers his best level.
... Clyde Gates can catch above 75% of the throws in his direction.
... among 2 years developing receivers (Roberto Wallace, Julius Pruitt & Marlon Moore) we could find at least one who outplays Legedu Naanee.
... can develop Jeff Fuller & Derek Moye at the same speed than Ryan Tannehill.

Also the tight end spot is solved once Anthony Fasano stays healthy and ...
... Jeron Mastrud adds ability to lose his mark and betters his blocks. Which seems very feasible.
... Michael Egnew learns some blocking foundations and adopts the pro-level speed.
Nice post. Where in Mexico are you from?

all i know is when lamar miller puts his foot in the ground and heads north and south it looks like he's got a jet engine attached to his back...some serious acceleration and top end with haste abilities

Im agree with some of what you had to say but these comments that I highlighted stood out to me.

It's easy to see a bright future in Miami with Ryan Tannehill, once he learns some tips about adjusting to the pro-level and handling his offense on the pocket. That surely can be taught, leadership is more unlikely to be learned.

Im sure most people could have & DID say that with the majority of our past 16 QB's. Whether Henne, Culpepper, Beck, Ferotte, WHOEVER, most people like to be optimistic. Who wants to start off the season saying, "we have no chance. Worst QB in the league."

I will admit, I have my concerns with Tannehill. I pray he lives up to/exceeds expectation, but I worry we "reached" for a QB due to our decade plus need for a franchise signal caller. Rather than grabbing the guy because he's your top guy. I hope it wasn't a case of ESPN/media building the hype.

Im not saying he's a bust, or he will never be good. What I am saying is due to our past 12 years of looking for our "future" and crapping out 16 different times, the odds/percentages say he won't pan out.

So having in mind Davone Bees owns excellent hands and has fine routing abilities, while Hartline has the size and speed of several go-to receivers in the league, we have solved WR1 & WR2, but WCO requires at least another pair of WR. Clyde Gates is a promising piece of this offense, while Legedu Naanee was added to improve the spot but is a long shoot.
The hardest piece of this offense is there are going to be several two-TE packs so Fasano requires a complement.

Now I love Bess, his route running, and ability after the catch just as much as anyone. But he's a #2/slot guy. With that said you must mean that Hartline is our #1? If so, we're in big trouble. I don't care what you say about any scheme, he can't go against other teams #1 CB. If Hatrline is our #1, that will really hurt Bess and our running game. Bess is a STUD when he's not the only WR threat!

Also the tight end spot is solved once Anthony Fasano stays healthy and ...
... Jeron Mastrud adds ability to lose his mark and betters his blocks. Which seems very feasible.
... Michael Egnew learns some blocking foundations and adopts the pro-level speed.

This implies that he can't stay healthy/is injury prone.
if you would bother to look, you would find that Anthony Fasano has been in the NFL for 6 seasons.2006-2011.
6(seasons) x 16(games) = 96 regular season games.

Out of 96 possible games, Fasano has played in 92.
Missed one in '11, missed one in '10, and missed two in '09.

Where in there does that imply he can't stay healthy?????

Nice opinions, but you have to come with logic and facts to make a compelling argument.

MIA doesn't have a TE right now, that can hold Clark's jock. And the fact you think he isn't much better than what is on the roster now, goes to show the silly nature of your homerism.
:rotfl1:

I gotta say, the more I read about Tanny, the more I like. Let's see how he fares in the WCO in the pros.

Im agree with some of what you had to say but these comments that I highlighted stood out to me.

Im sure most people could have & DID say that with the majority of our past 16 QB's. Whether Henne, Culpepper, Beck, Ferotte, WHOEVER, most people like to be optimistic. Who wants to start off the season saying, "we have no chance. Worst QB in the league."

I will admit, I have my concerns with Tannehill. I pray he lives up to/exceeds expectation, but I worry we "reached" for a QB due to our decade plus need for a franchise signal caller. Rather than grabbing the guy because he's your top guy. I hope it wasn't a case of ESPN/media building the hype.

Im not saying he's a bust, or he will never be good. What I am saying is due to our past 12 years of looking for our "future" and crapping out 16 different times, the odds/percentages say he won't pan out.

Now I love Bess, his route running, and ability after the catch just as much as anyone. But he's a #2/slot guy. With that said you must mean that Hartline is our #1? If so, we're in big trouble. I don't care what you say about any scheme, he can't go against other teams #1 CB. If Hatrline is our #1, that will really hurt Bess and our running game. Bess is a STUD when he's not the only WR threat!

This implies that he can't stay healthy/is injury prone.
if you would bother to look, you would find that Anthony Fasano has been in the NFL for 6 seasons.2006-2011.
6(seasons) x 16(games) = 96 regular season games.

Out of 96 possible games, Fasano has played in 92.
Missed one in '11, missed one in '10, and missed two in '09.

Where in there does that imply he can't stay healthy?????

Nice opinions, but you have to come with logic and facts to make a compelling argument.
I wasn't implying he's injury prone. As any starter Fasano's in risk of injury, and WCO TE are in bigger risk.

MIA doesn't have a TE right now, that can hold Clark's jock. And the fact you think he isn't much better than what is on the roster now, goes to show the silly nature of your homerism.
:rotfl1:
Ok, not the same flavor, but similar receipt. We'll use more catches from our RBs

Back
Top Bottom