Bring on the Combine....Ryan is Number 1 | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bring on the Combine....Ryan is Number 1

I have also found that short rope will work the best for you in situations like that.
:up:

See its posts like this that make Finheaven so much fun. the care and compassion my fellow posters show is just remarkable. A complete starnger such as yourself goes out of their way to offer helpful advice in my hour of need. What else can one ask for?

Anyone got a line on a bank that doesn't lock it's vault? it worked last time what the hell? Maybe somebody will know.

Comparing Matt Ryan to Brad Johnson is an awful comparison. The only legitimate comparison is that they are both tall. Johnson is a caretaker. Ryan is a play maker.

In addition, many of the interceptions Ryan threw were either catchable balls his receivers tipped up into defenders hands or poor routes where his receiver allowed himself to be redirected quite easily while the ball was in the air.

We currently have a QB on the roster who was noted for his intangibles as well as the physical tools. Lets give him a chance to see what he can do with some talent around him. ;)

Best comment that I've read today. Beck has the tools, mentally and physically. Let's give him a chance to work his mojo and draft a supporting cast to help him out. I'm firmly in Beck's corner- I think that he could use a top notch body guard like Jake Long or Gosder Cherilius, that's my wish list.

Jake is going to start to slide. I think the media is off on him. He is not an elite body guard. In fact, he is more suited for the right side, and even their I am concerned about his strength.

That said, I do believe it would be very difficult to pass on Glenn Dorsey.

Jake is going to start to slide. I think the media is off on him. He is not an elite body guard. In fact, he is more suited for the right side, and even their I am concerned about his strength.

That said, I do believe it would be very difficult to pass on Glenn Dorsey.

Concerned about his strength? Are you for real? He's done 47 reps of 225 lbs. And at 6-7 315 lbs the dude runs a 5.05. He might not have the feet of Joe Thomas, D-Brick or Walter Jones, but I'll take him for sure.

I am for real. Also, I would be shocked if he did 47 reps of 225. Absolutely shocked.

Long is a right tackle who is going to have to improve his strength at the next level.

That said, I do agree that he will run an extremely impressive forty time.

I am for real. Also, I would be shocked if he did 47 reps of 225. Absolutely shocked.

Long is a right tackle who is going to have to improve his strength at the next level.

That said, I do agree that he will run an extremely impressive forty time.

As much as I agree that Jake Long is going to be a stellar RIGHT tackle, I would NEVER question his strength. Actually his strength is his only real strength right now... if that makes sense

The guy is an absolute physical speciman, and is used to man-handling guys his size..but thats the problem, in the NFL he is going to have smaller guys playing RDE that are gonna make him whiff.,.and anytime your LT whiffs, it is not good for your QB:up:

I am concerned that he is really going to struggle to anchor against an NFL caliber bull rush. This, coupled with his average lateral movement skills make me very, very concerned about his future at the next level.

I fear he is going to continue to allow defensive lineman to gain leverage and get into his body. I feel this may continue to create technique issues where he is often overextended in the hope that he will not get delivered into the quarterbacks lap. This was not only the case against Vernon Gholston, but also against other sometimes lesser defenders at school's like Illinois and Florida.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I am concerned that he is really going to struggle to anchor against an NFL caliber bull rush. This, coupled with his average lateral movement skills make me very, very concerned about his future at the next level.

I fear he is going to continue to allow defensive lineman to gain leverage and get into his body. I feel this may continue to create technique issues where he is often overextended in the hope that he will not get delivered into the quarterbacks lap. This was not only the case against Vernon Gholston, but also against other sometimes lesser defenders at school's like Illinois and Florida.

I Dont understand. If he is allowing guys to get into his body, how is he overextended? That is an oxymoron..with all due respect

I did see him get murderized (Is that a word) against Illinois.

What he does is that he often allows defenders into his body. To combat this, he often allows himself to get overextended by really anchoring and bending at the waist a little.

He obviously does not do both at once. In essence, the frequency in which he struggles with keeping defenders off his body has led to him often trying to anchor against the incoming barrage, thus finding himself overextended. The overextending is related to the problems with stronger players.

That is why defenders who can do both, Vernon Gholston for instance, completely out class him.

What he does is that he often allows defenders into his body. To combat this, he often allows himself to get overextended by really anchoring and bending at the waist a little.

He obviously does not do both at once. In essence, the frequency in which he struggles with keeping defenders off his body has led to him often trying to anchor against the incoming barrage, thus finding himself overextended. The overextending is related to the problems with stronger players.

That is why defenders who can do both, Vernon Gholston for instance, completely out class him.

I thought it was just cause VG was so much quicker that he couldnt keep up with him. I obviously dont have as much knowledge as you do in this area..thanks for clearing it up :up:

Nobody is assured of being right in this situation. That said, check out the Michigan - Ohio State game if you can and see if you agree.

Nobody is assured of being right in this situation. That said, check out the Michigan - Ohio State game if you can and see if you agree.

I am a huge Mich fan and while I think he carries to much risk for 1st overall. It has nothing at all to do with strength, if you try to bull rush him it is over Long has won. This is why Long is such a good run blocking tackle. Were he struggles is with speed rushers. In the OSU game VG only beat him using speed moves, if VG tried to straight bull rush Long it will be a long long day for VG. A lot of his problems with speed rushers though may be because of the way Mich teaches there O-linemen, cause they like power type blocking, so they put more stock on strength instead of quickness.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I saw numerous occasions where Long struggled with players gaining leverage and moving him straight back into the quarterback. I also saw instances where his high cut body and lack of ideal leverage limited his ability to really get a really strong consistent push in the running game. I know that that will be disagreed with, but I guess we will see.

Time will tell.

If I remember correctly, jake long gave up ONE sack to VG...

I certainly don't remember long getting lit up all game long, I could be wrong but that is my recollection.

I'm still not convinced jake long can't play LT. Were not giving our oline coach much credit if we are already establishing jake long as a failure at LT. imo

Back
Top Bottom